1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Home Keg Fridge Advice

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by torrey58, Mar 3, 2013.

1. torrey58

torrey58 Initiate (15) Mar 3, 2013

First post, no real question, just getting my opinion out there. In 3 years of occasional online searching of parts, cheats, gimmicks, opinions, and plain fixes on my awesome home depot vissani keg fridge I feel obligated to write a post on my experience. Mostly to give people considering a less expensive home beer dispenser another searchable opinion. Things dont always fall in your lap the way you expect, sometimes youre just getting started, thats my experience with this, albeit it has not been 36 months straight of problems. Since owning the the thing ive bought a home, gotten married, had a kid, and now things are starting to settle in my life so I finally attacked the little nuances that made the cheaper "kegerator" cheaper. Lets start at the beginning, but, Id like to preface that I know my experience is no new phenomena and "you get what you pay for" is not just an expression. The thing was a gift.

Well, getting the keg was no problem, as long as you had $200+ to shell out, yeah, glad that $100 deposit was lowered. in 09 i get my keg system going, great, plug and play! not. Coupler is junk. If anyone thinks a slow leak, in this situation, is better than a blowout decompression has never lost an entire keg of beer and a tank of co2 before. My service calls might as well have been calls to 65 year old Beatrice down the road, no help, no knowledge, and no help. So, blah blah, I get another coupler in the mail, junk too. I locate a coworker who kegs as well, sells me his spare for $10, great... works fine, i got lucky. Need to buy a couple parts to fit the threads but fine. So... as a way to (possibly) solve the foaming issue I buy a new tower which also has the fittings I need for the new coupler. Okay, (i cant quite remember) but i think thats another $80 or so, so be it. well... I cant have this nice new tower with that scrawny tap handle, wife buys me a nice sabres handle (unkn$). okay, rock and roll... Newp, foamy, foamy foamy. okay online search adjust tweak blah blah.... Hey, temp is the problem! I setup thermometer inside, fabricate an old computer fan to flow air around, all that did was freeze the lines. I also adjust secret temp control on thermostat, still foam. okay, pressue issue, 8-12 psi, okay, 10 then. Still foamy. hmm, i give up, besides, I still get my beer, I just waste a beer in the process...that was a year ago. So, I get a few rooms redone (house is a fixerupper) and i see that there is a handmade bar and kegerator sitting there, lets get after it i say, but, damn, pressure gauge busted... new one purchased.... foam issue continues. Online searching reveals tower temp has to be the issue, sure that makes sense. I mod that computer fan inside a plastic cube i cut out of an old three ring binder sealed with hot glue, 1/2 inch tube running up the tower. bingo, cool tower, cold draw, less foam, working kegerator.

The point is that if someone is still reading this they either have the same problem, had the same problem, or enjoy reading about the despair of others. Get a reliable keg cooling and dispensing unit, dont go cheap on it.

2. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (320) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

You can make any of those inexpensive units work pretty well with a $10 fan in a project box, $3 in flex hose, and $8 in longer beer line. Some require a little electrical tweaking. Unfortunatley you got screwed on bad couplers and it took you three years to get to that end result. End of the day to get commercial ease you wind up paying twice the cost.

3. A lesson I learned after the fact: Don't expect to stay within budget. Spend whatever you need to spend to make it work. And never, ever look back.