1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Homebrew Maine vs. PA

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by tommyguz, Mar 31, 2013.

1. We would like to do a homebrew that is the same basic recipe except with one slight change. Something that represents PA and something that represent Maine?

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Maine Blueberry and PA cherry or grape

Also I don't know if this would actually work (haven't looked into it yet) but we were thinking about Maine's White Pine and the PA Eastern Hemlock used as if it were Spruce....or I saw a recipe for Eastern Hemlock Tea so it could be cold brewed?

Just a few ideas we had but we would like to represent the two states with same grain bill, hops, etc minus the one "state" difference.
  2. With spring around the corner, a pair of fruit wits, hefes, or blondes might be nice.
  3. It is for a wedding in August. Half is from Maine Half from Pa thus the idea of a pa brew and Maine brew
  4. Suggestion stands, then...warm summer evening, a wedding crowd, and a couple of light, fruited beers flowing sounds sexy as hell.
    MasterCraft likes this.
  5. Agreed. Thanks!

I think that's why we might go Maine Blueberry Pa Cherry.

What just seeing what other options/ideas anyone else had.
  6. Jesse14

Jesse14 Savant (255) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2011

I can't speak to PA but for me I would enjoy a good oyster stout for ME. Or just do a nice stout and serve oysters with it. Best combination out there that most people at a wedding have probably not tried.
  7. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

This. Weddings plus summer plus fruity, easy to drink beers = happy campers. :D
  8. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

I personally love an oyster stout, and oysters (preferably shooters with hot sauce/coctail sauce).
    :cool:
    But I think for a wedding, you have to cater to the crowd, which is why I voted for fruity/light/easy to drink beers.
  9. I love oyster stouts as well! It is not necessarily for the "wedding" itself and it might actually be drank before the wedding even begins (we are going for a whole week before the wedding)

We just want something that will be the same style minus one key ingredient. That ingredient would represent Maine in the one brew and PA in the other.
  10. Maine is easy: Blueberries...

PA: apples? Chocolate? (hershey)
  11. Ahh... Apples might be good...and chocolate was a thought but How we would we have the same bill/hop and all for a blueberry and chocolate beer...we are looking for something lighter to drink since it is August?

Problem would be solved if PA had on official State FRUIT! I am writing my Senator.
  12. Whoopie Pie.

That is all.

Maineforlife
    bishopdc0 likes this.
  13. FremontBar

FremontBar Savant (270) Arizona Feb 1, 2013

Saisons can be fairly versatile and great for summer, Brooklyn Brew Shop has a lobster saison recipe but I'm sure you could do blueberries so people will actually drink it. Then for your PA beer just cut down some tree branches and steep them like they do with spruce tips, though I thought Hemlock was poisonous so maybe skip that one. Or maybe a Scrapple Saison :)
  14. MrOH

MrOH Savant (465) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

If I had to pick a fruit to represent PA, I'd pick apples.
  15. Thanks everyone! I think we are going Blueberry and Apples!

16. I think that is a good idea... and I like the idea of using a saison as a base ;) I have to think that a wheat beer would be more approachable for the wedding crowd though.

Let us know what you roll with and how it works out for you!
  17. Scrapple smoked stout for PA
    koopa and pweis909 like this.
  18. I think I like the Saison base as well. I will talk to my Maine half, see what he wants to do about the base. It isn't necessarily for the Wedding itself, just pre wedding stuff and all, so I think we can make whatever and people will enjoy.

I will let you all know! Thanks again.

I made a Bacon Infused Bourbon Stout and called it Hell Pig, using Jim Beam's devils cut. I couldn't get as much bacon flavor as I was hoping for but it drank pretty nice. I guess the same method could be used to make a Scrapple one?
  19. Hell Pig = one of the best beer names ever

20. The image is an image I found online of the ancient Entelodont whose nickname was Hell Pig.
  21. Maine lobster vs. Philly cheesesteak!
    Do it!
  22. They would be the most ridiculous beers ever. I like it!
  23. I should have said. "It is the Label I made, but I used the image of the Entelodont in the label I made for the beer."