1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Homebrew suppliers in UK?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by RendoMike, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Greetings, I'm an American expat living in the UK and have decided to take a shot at brewing my own beer. Besides doing the obvious and using Google, I am looking for advice on a good supplier of ingredients considering both quality and price. I'm likely going to buy the ingredients for my first batch from the Happy Brewer, http://www.thehappybrewer.com/.

My concern is extract here seems to run much higher than the states and being a new brewer, do no want to jump right into all grain, so I am starting with a partial-grain.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
    Mike

2. RendoMike likes this.
  3. Yeah i can heartily endorse Jim's site, learned a lot from it over the years, local lad too.

RendoMike likes this.
  4. Thank you. Those DME prices are a lot better.

Eventually I am sure I will move to AG also, but for now I want to keep it easy. I'm surprised the wife hasn't raised an eyebrow with how much I have spent already.

5. Will definitely check it out. I would really appreciate the British perspective on home brewing. I've mainly been focused on the US sites with my research so far.

6. I don't homebrew (yet), but it might be worth googling and seeing if there are any homebrew shops near you. I'm sure supplies are cheaper online, but a shop means you can walk in and talk to someone (who presumably knows what they're doing).

7. I began all grain brewing buying malt from the back door of the Beeston maltings at a ridiculously low price.Homebrew shops sold pretty old hops so I sent away for vacuum packed ones from a place in Newcastle, but found that the local micros would let me have ingredients at around cost.Perhaps you could enquire at your local micros. I also received a lot of help and advice from them.
    I don't homebrew any more , it didn't save me any money as I still drank the same amount in pubs.My wife said the house smelt like a brewery, I took that to be a compliment till I saw the look on her face! I still have a couple of stainless steel Burco boilers, a mash tun,wort cooler and a few pressure barrels stacked away somewhere.

8. Good advice, thanks. The Happy Brewer is the closest one I found, about 30 minutes away. I placed an order from the Home Brew Company provided above, but purposely left a few things off in order so I can go visit the Happy Brewer.

9. Great idea! I wouldn't have thought about asking around with the local micros. I haven't been out to pubs much during the past year because of work. If this weekend allows, think I will go up to the local watering hole and ask around. Cheers!

10. Yep i love my home-brew.....esp my 10% Abv bottle conditioned Imperial IPA's and Barley wines!..two different styles yet both easily brewed to very high standards at home for a fraction of what the big boys charge!....

I use a Chimay blue yeast for most of my beers which lend themselves to this Belgian ale yeast quite well i think...i started my own culture from a bottle of chimay blue i purchased nearly a year ago and have been using it ever since...its still fermenting rich, fruity beers and easily ferments up to 10% Abv and a bit more!

I prefer an American home-brew site i visit regularly, but i also occasionally visit this uk one..they have lots of links to best suppliers and cheapest ingredients etc...

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/index.php