1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Homebrew Wedding

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by UAhobbes, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Gentlemen,

I have a question regarding home brewing. I myself do not dabble (yet) however, my two good buddies do..and do it well. I'm getting married in a year and want them to brew up their delicious IPA for the ceremony. Both are invited to the wedding (ones a groomsmen) and both can make it. Heres the question:

I want to pay them. How much should I pay them for their services/ingredients/time? I want to make sure I cover the cost of these three and then some. Can anyone ballpark it for me?

Cheers.
  2. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

Ask them for the recipe, that would give a better idea. How much abv? How many ounces hops per 5 gallons? Typically IPA recipe that is ~6% abv should cost about $45 in ingredients + shipping if they buy ingredients online. Brew day most likely 6 - 8 hrs of time as well. Most every homebrewer I've ever met doesn't charge for labor though, they get paid in feedback and people talking about their beers.
  3. Yeah, it's nice that you're offering to pay them for labor, but I would never take any more money than the cost of ingredients.

Probably some legal issues with paying for labor as well.
  4. Beer instead of cash...is there really any other answer for a wedding present? : )
  5. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

$0. It would be illegal for them to take your money.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  6. sbeaton

sbeaton Disciple (55) New Jersey Apr 4, 2011

If they won't take money buy them something homebrew related. For example when I brewed for my brothers rehearsal I refused to take money. So when he was ordering the bottles, 500ml Pliney style, he ordered me a few cases for myself and a couple growlers. They were all being shipped to my house anyway so I had no way to refuse this.
  7. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (350) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Reimbursement for the cost of ingredients is not illegal.
  8. fAtHanD

fAtHanD Aficionado (170) Michigan Mar 7, 2007

Get them each a give certificate at a local home brew store or an online retailer then they can use it for home brewing stuff of their choosing.
  9. VikeMan

Excerpted from Title 27, Part 25, Subpart L, Section 25.205...
    "(a) Any adult may produce beer, without payment of tax, for personal or family use and not for sale."

Note that it says sale. Not profit.
  10. cherche

cherche Savant (420) Washington Mar 27, 2013

I would just go with them and buy the ingredients to avoid any confusion about costs if possible?
  11. How about if you just buy each of them a case of their favorite beer, or a mixed case of beer from their favorite brewery. That seems like a fair trade-off.
  12. If they are brewing 5 gallon recipes (2 cases), about $40-$50 bucks. You could reimburse them for that. Ask them what they paid for the brews.
  13. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

You're reimbursing them for their time and overpaying for their ingredients. :) That'll cost an average of $25 to $30 per batch and each batch is at least 4 hours of labor. More like 8 if they're bottling and 5 if they're kegging.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  14. HerbMeowing

The product is not for sale.
    The beer is made for personal use.
    'Use' includes personal consumption as well as consumption by others

When a product is 'for sale'...the producer makes or offers something of value with the expectation there's a 'market' for the product.

Clearly...this is not the case.
    Why?
    Because no one offers a product 'for sale' without the expectation of profit.

---
    OP buys the ingredients.
    Someone else processes the ingredients into a malted beverage.
    No harm. No foul.

That said...PA's ABC laws are totally whacked.
  15. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I would pay for the ingredients and get them a gift for whatever else.
  16. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Just ask them about it. You have a long time to hash out the details.
  17. How much are you asking each friend to brew? I got married recently and had 10 corny kegs + one case each of red and white wine. No liquor. 120 people. The amount of alcohol was right on. YMMV.

Most homebrewers don't have that many kegs. (I only do because of the wedding.) If I were you, I'd give them a gift certificate for $50 per keg that they brew. They might need to buy more kegs, a spare regulator, co2 tank, whatever, just for the wedding and I'd imagine they'd like to pick that stuff out themselves. I'd find out who their LHBS is too.
  18. VikeMan

I can assure you there are businesses that do exactly this.
  19. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Why don't you sit in with them on brew day. You can pay for all the ingredients. Maybe you can make multiple batches and your friends keep some for themselves. This would probably circumvent any legal kerfuffles (which I think would be highly unlikely, but the idea of gifts or payments for homebrewrendered definitely skirts the spirit of the law, and probably the letter of the law). The biggest benefit is you would begin to dabble in homebrewing and join our ranks. Just be warned that homebrewing can have an impact on marital harmony - sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts, and sometimes it doesn't matter.
    jlordi12, sjverla and VikeMan like this.
  20. Kind of a wash on my end. She's very happy to have a pretty constant supply of beer, but is always frustrated by the mess and often by the taking up of a weekend day. The beers win out though.

OP, if I were to be doing this for you/other betrothed friend, I'd probably just have you go in half on the ingredients and try to get you to hang/help out on brew day.
  21. I'm still waiting for the day it helps ,,
  22. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Anything you give them in ingredient costs is likely just going to come back to you in the wedding card. If they are brewing a considerable amount for the event, I would ask them to just consider the beer the wedding gift and call it a day.
    GreenKrusty101 and sarcastro like this.
  23. jnrjr79

jnrjr79 Aficionado (150) Illinois Feb 23, 2009

Yeah, I'm all for buying them the ingredients, but if not, this is a nice approach. I brewed a beer for a wedding last year and just made it my gift to the bride and groom.
  24. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (355) New York Nov 21, 2008

The beer isnt for sale. Hes reimbursing them the cost. No different then me getting a 6 pack for you and you throwing me the cost plus maybe some gas money.
  25. VikeMan

It's no different than that? Okay, thanks.
  26. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 17, 2013

A gift of your choosing whether that gift is cash or something else is of your choosing.
    I see nothing illegal about that.
  27. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (355) New York Nov 21, 2008

Not sure if/why sarcastic. Wasnt addressing you specifically. Obviously its just my opinion. :beer:
    HerbMeowing likes this.
  28. Homebrew is walking on thin ice according to some...profit (or anything that alludes to profit) is a big no-no unless you have inner connections @ the IRS :)...just kidding PAC boosters

Kinda like keeping kegs and making keggles out of them. :rolleyes:

Cheers, brother...and nice avatar
  29. HerbMeowing

OK.

Name three.
  30. VikeMan

Center for Naval Analyses
    National Public Radio
    Ten Thousand Villages
    Keystone Human Services

Sorry, that's four. But those are the ones where I happen to know people. I'm guessing there's more.
  31. HerbMeowing

Any so-called business selling products for the material cost of the product is not a business.
  32. VikeMan

Even if that were a given, how does that relate to the words in the federal homebrew statute? Or all of the state statutes that require licenses to sell beer? If you can connect the legal dots to show that trading beer for money does not constitute a sale if not done for profit, I'll buy it.

I personally don't think there's anything ethically wrong or immoral about brewing a bunch of beer for a wedding and being reimbursed for ingredients. But ethical <> legal.
  33. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

I find this thread fairly ridiculous, but I'll say this: It would be cool if the OP were to go to his friends and say "I don't want a wedding gift. Instead, would you consider brewing/serving a batch of your awesome beer at my wedding?"

As a guy, with guy friends, I'm always struggling to find a wedding gift that is more for my friend, and not some silly china or towels. What better than beer?

cheers--
    --Michael