1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Homebrewers petition Obama to release White House Honey Ale recipe

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

President Obama's White House Honey Ale has been a hot topic for months now, and especially with the recent reports that the President has been enjoying and sharing homebrews along the campaign trail. Not only has this created a demand for a beer few will ever try, but some have taken their desire to try the beer even further.

If you can't try it, brew it!

On August 18 "John L" from Washington, DC started a "We the People" petition to release the recipe.
    The goal is to reach a total of 25,000 signatures by September 17, 2012; as of this post there's just over 1,100 signatures.

And yesterday a Reddit user posted that they submitted a formal Freedom Of Information Act Request. Yes, a FOIA request for a homebrew recipe. I'm not sure the request for an autographed copy from the President will up his chances, but at least he had fun with it.

Here's the scanned letter:

[​IMG]

My bet is on the petition reaching its goal and the Obama administration having some fun by releasing the recipe to the masses. It would be the cool thing to do. And regardless of who you plan on voting for this November, this level of media attention for beer and homebrewing is awesome.

Anyway, will you be signing the petition?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/release-recipe-honey-ale-home-brewed-white-house/XkpkYwc0

And for all of you homebrewers out there, would you brew a White House Honey Ale clone if the recipe gets released to the public?

Cheers!

(Please keep this thread clean and on topic.)
    feloniousmonk, yamar68 and floraday like this.
  2. I'd brew it - nothing to lose and it makes a nice story when sharing it with friends.
    Heatwave33 likes this.
  3. Exactly what the Freedom of Information Act was intended for.
    Jwren5, kexp, YogiBeer and 18 others like this.
  4. mykey120

mykey120 Aficionado (140) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2012

Haha thats awesome! So what's the trade value for the white house honey ale?
  5. Haslips

Haslips Aficionado (125) Oregon Aug 27, 2003

For sure I'd brew it if it were released.....The wife is always asking me to brew something for her!
  6. I'd definitely brew it just for the fun of it.
  7. I'd brew it... then dry-hop it with 4oz. of Citra!
    Etan and Naugled like this.
  8. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

This could make for a great fund raiser. For sale: white house homebrew kit complete with white house honey ;)
    RochesterAaron likes this.
  9. TomClem

TomClem Savant (260) Nebraska Mar 7, 2012

I saw an article on a lawyer that has sent in a freedom of information act request. I'd say at this point it is not if the recipe will be known, but when and how it will be delivered.
  10. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

I'd brew it as well if it is not extract. Though I doubt I could just brew it as is, I always have to mess with something.
  11. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Signing this.
  12. adam42381

adam42381 Advocate (535) Florida Oct 10, 2005

I'm signing it.
  13. jricharc

jricharc Aficionado (170) Virginia Feb 16, 2012

I signed it, but I doubt it will ever reach the required 25k signatures so we will never see the document...
  14. This is ridiculous in more ways than one. To name but a few:

(1) This petition is wasting time and money. somebody, somewhere, is going to have to spend a non-zero amount of time looking at this ridiculous petition. thanks for wasting my tax money.

(2) this is not something that would fall under the freedom of information act. it's a private/personal thing and not an actual government thing. just like the public cannot petition the 1st lady into sharing her bra size, it cannot petition the white house to give out a beer recipe.

(3) did anybody just bother to ask for it, or did they jump straight to the baseless and wasteful petition?
    ant880, bryanole27, miketd and 5 others like this.
  15. I'm not American so perhaps I'm not as eligible to comment but with homebrewing still being illegal in one state it legitimises the hobby as well as promoting domestic and small scale food and drink production.
    pitweasel likes this.
  16. Lighten up, Francis
    Boz12, jtmartino, kexp and 19 others like this.
  17. PorterLambic

PorterLambic Advocate (560) Florida Nov 26, 2003

Not a brewer, just an imbiber, but I'd gladly drink it and pay for the privilege. Home brewers ROCK!
    (Stay on target!)
  18. If I thought it was a good recipe, I'd brew it. Consider me signing the petition
  19. As a long time homebrewer, I give out any recipe as part of promoting the hobby and sharing. Hey, I have gotten some great recipes from highly respected homebrewers by just asking. If the White House gets the hobbies ethos, they don't need all of the red tape.

Edit - Without the honey from the White House garden, it would not be the same.
    azorie likes this.
  20. I did a quick search and discovered that the chef has brewed 3 different batches at the white house. the honey ale , a blonde honey and a honey porter. each contained one pound of w.h. honey but it doesn't say what size the batches were. Also found out that they were selling obama pint glasses. didn't look into them because I have no interest in the glasses .
  21. I hope all of the likes I got for my post are because they realize this is what I meant.
  22. ixodus

ixodus Savant (285) New Jersey Jul 18, 2010

Don't cry bro. ;)
  23. I'd like to see the recipe but I don't think I would brew it.
  24. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I'll hazard a wild guess and say that if it does get released, people will be sorely disappointed with a generic recipe, only with White House honey that they can never get.
  25. I'd rather have one of the WH glasses and a bottle with the label on it. Wonder if the caps have a design?
  26. 1) The website was set up so people can create a petition about anything. Only petitions with 25k signatures are addressed, and even then they are typically ignored.

2) Why not? It was created with tax money. The creator was paid with tax money and it was brewed with ingredients paid for with tax money. I'm paid with tax money and my emails and personal files at work are fair game.

3) Who knows, who cares?

Lighten up. The last few presidents have shown they have the ability to disengage and relax. I'd prefer my politicians be normal human beings with interests that extend beyond politics and the ability to step away. It makes for more balanced human beings and more reasonable responses.
  27. whitesdsv

whitesdsv Initiate (20) Aug 23, 2012

Hope the petition works, The Whitehouse beer should be made available to all of us. Ingredients may be paid for by the President, but the workers making it are paid by US.
  28. Signed
    yamar68 likes this.
  29. Signed.
    yamar68 likes this.
  30. I bet the beer isn't even all that good.
  31. then throw it in some type of oak barrel and lock it up for a year or two
  32. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (500) California Oct 29, 2008

I would imagine it's probably a very BMC-friendly beer with very little "offensive" flavor. When they release it, I may give it a go, but would certainly want to alter the recipe to my preferences, which kind of defeats the purpose.
  33. yamar68 likes this.
  34. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Gotta love the entitlement that comes from something like this. Just because I'm American, means I have the right to know. *facepalm*

That said, I wouldn't mind trying some of this when the recipe gets released.
    SpeedwayJim likes this.
  35. Perhaps it is just me, but whenever a beer has "honey" in its title I end up not liking it too much. Every single time I've tried a beer that has a special honeyed up analog, I like the original about 10 times more.

I like honey by itself, too.
    chuckstout likes this.
  36. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Nope, you forgot your <sarcasm> tag
  37. Yeah I really should have used it.
  38. I would try it. I've never brewed with honey, so why not have a great story to go with it? At the very least, it'll look great next to that can of Billy Beer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.