1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Homebrewers petition Obama to release White House Honey Ale recipe

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

How funny would it be if this was the recipe?

1 Mr. Beer West Coast Pale Ale HME
    1 Mr. Beer Booster pouch
    1 Mr. Beer Dry Yeast packet (under HME lid)
    1 Cup White House Honey

And then the instructions scanned from a Mr. Beer instruction manual.

:)
  2. PorterLambic

PorterLambic Advocate (560) Florida Nov 26, 2003

Surprise, I want to try the Porter! And I couldn't give a tinkers damn where the honey comes from.
  3. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

A hunahpu
  4. dauss

dauss Advocate (565) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Home brewers placing too much emphasis on the recipe. Nothing unusual here.
  5. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

"You're all stupid for thinking you deserve to see this. I can't wait to see this!" *facepalm*

I don't know about a sense of entitlement being a factor here. The leader of the free world is making beer, and other people who share that hobby are interested in seeing his recipe. Entitlement? Try curiosity. Did you read the FOI request? Sounds to me like someone's just trying his luck and having some fun, not demanding that his American status entitles him to the recipe.
  6. Ejayz

Ejayz Savant (270) Iowa May 15, 2011

The "leader of the free world" is not brewing this stuff. However the White House cooking staff is. Has any thought about emailing there cooking staff for the recipe?
    nanobrew likes this.
  7. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I'm waiting for the Collaboration brew... White House/10 Downing Street Honey Nut Brown Ale.
    zencigar, afrokaze and fullmetal1381 like this.
  8. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

There are some supremely uptight/lonely people in this thread. I think it's very cool that the whitehouse brews it's own beer.
    TerpBax, crushedvol and Heatwave33 like this.
  9. The FOIA request won't get answered because the white house isn't subject to them. If you want to see the recipe, you need to bump that petition.
  10. Signed and sent to everyone I know of FB Twitter and email. Hopefully that helps.
  11. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (460) California Nov 16, 2009

Personally, I prefer to let the brewers and breweries brew their beer. I think the President and the White House should just do what they were elected to do. Beer has its place in many aspects of the world around us. We can live without this silly home brew.
    miketd and youbrewidrink like this.
  12. I've heard that it is superb, by an unqualified expert in the field. A qualified expert I know has a bottle, and is saving it for some grand occasion.
  13. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Personally, I'd love to see a bunch of commercial brewers brew the recipe and donate some of the proceeds to charity.
    Henamonster likes this.
  14. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

Why?
  15. Where is Julian Assange when you need him?
    zencigar and afrokaze like this.
  16. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

The white house chef is the one who brews it.... HEY, THATS WHAT HE WAS "ELECTED" TO DO!
    I will say it again: There are some very uptight and lonely people in this thread.
  17. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Somebody asked him about it in the reddit AMA today. His response - "It will be out soon! I can tell from first hand experience, it is tasty."
    Heatwave33 and MaxSpang like this.
  18. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Clearly you are misinformed. A striking representation of the majority of voters.

This has much less to do with the President and much more to do with the kitchen staff.
    DavoleBomb likes this.
  19. Pete0714

Pete0714 Aficionado (150) Indiana May 18, 2011

The white house is doing what they should be doing. The beer is as much a political statement as a good drink. It is a tie to the on site sustainable garden and honey hive. Its about promoting home grown product.
    Heatwave33 and YogiBeer like this.
  20. As of 8/31/12, only 670 signatures to go.

Excellent news for a good "story" beer.

"Hey, want to try some beer I brewed, it's the White House recipe."
  21. Obama did an AMA on Reddit and he mentioned releasing the recipe.
  22. TallSaint

TallSaint Savant (325) New York Dec 10, 2010

23. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.