1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Homebrewing Now Legal in Alabama

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Jacurdy60, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Today was a great day for homebrewing in the state of Alabama, the last state in the Union to legalize homebrewing of any alcoholic beverage. The "Homebrew Bill" (HB 9) passed the House and is now up to vote in the Senate (where a previous test vote reveals it will likely pass), then it is on to signing by the governor. I'm so excited, I had to share with all of you. That is all.

2. leokbelo

leokbelo Savant (280) Florida Jul 12, 2006

Awesome!

3. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (580) Washington Apr 30, 2008

I'll drink to that!!

4. I'll brew to that!

5. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

Just had some friends over who wanted to drink my homebrew but told them it wasn't legal in KS. I let them look at it though. :rolleyes:

seriously though, congrats. Looks like it will finally be legal for everyone to participate in this awesome obsession hobby.

cheers--
    --Michael

6. Congrats 'Bama! Welcome to the 21st, errrr 20th century!

beertunes likes this.
  7. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (450) New York Feb 9, 2011

When's your first brewday?

8. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I'm confused. Is it now legal or does it still have a couple of hoops to jump through?

9. Ariz

Ariz Aficionado (110) Alabama May 2, 2009

The bill has just passed the house. It still has to pass the senate and avoid a veto (which is normally only practically in play for bills passed in the final days of the session).

10. Jacurdy60

It passed the toughest portion of legalization, the House. Governor Bentley is all for it, allegedly and the Senate is as well.

11. Jacurdy60

Hopefully this summer when I'm home from college

VonZipper likes this.
  12. Ariz

Ariz Aficionado (110) Alabama May 2, 2009

They've managed to reach new heights of stupidity this sessions with other issues unrelated to home brewing. I wouldn't be too confident until it's actually voted by the senate. The bill passed the house last year but wasn't acted on by the senate. But at least this year it got through the house much earlier in the session.

13. freduardo

freduardo Savant (390) Alabama Feb 19, 2007

i'm certainly happy it passed the house today, but it still has a long way to go before it's legal. if it comes to a vote in the senate, i believe it will pass, but, as we have seen with this bill last year and other free the hops bills in the past, getting a vote is no guarantee.

VonZipper likes this.
  14. Lol more like welcome to humanity!!

Providence likes this.