1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hop free beer in Portland?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by DimensionX, Dec 16, 2012.

1. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

Does anybody know a good bottle that I can find in Portland right now that is sans hops?

Looking for a christmas present

thanks
  2. Doesn't the Beers of Scotland gift box from Alloa not have hops as the beers are based on pre-hops styles
  3. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

There are some seasonal draft options like the Upright Reggie Junkie Gruit, but I don't know off-hand of something available in bottles at the moment. Maybe a nice cider or bottle of wine instead?
  4. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Not trying to be THAT guy, just trying to get a better understand. Why does the brew need to have zero hops? Is the person looking for something like canucklehead described?

5. Pliny The Elder mos def.
  6. CA_Infidel2o9

Fa sho. Heard dat shiot was mad malty yo!
    flayedandskinned likes this.

7. Great scotch ale fo sho, negro. I love that slightly smokey finish!
  8. CA_Infidel2o9

Lol thnx for that one. Haven't laughed that hard in a while
    flayedandskinned likes this.
  9. Mahlik

Mahlik Aficionado (245) Oregon Aug 21, 2010

Hair of the Dog's Greg is made without hops. They don't bottle it but you might be able to get a growler of it.
    jpbebeau likes this.
  10. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

yeah it is a christmas present for someone allergic to hops (poor bastard)

I didn't realize PTE was hop free, I'll go pick some up. I can't wait to see the look on his face when he drinks it.

I was thinking about Greg but I don't think they have had it on tap for some time. I will check out that Scottish box set as well. thanks
    Gobigvt7 likes this.
  11. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

AFAIK, the Oregon distributor doesn't carry the variety packs. They do however carry Fraoch, Ebulum, and Grozet, all of which are hop free (or very close to it), and should be widely available around town.
  12. guajolote

guajolote Savant (390) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Gilgamesh Mamba is hopless. But it's not bottled and I don't know how widely available it is on tap in Portland. You can get growler fills of it at a couple places in Salem though.

I hope you found this almost completely useless post helpful.
    djbreezy likes this.
  13. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (300) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

Dupont Posca Rustica is on the shelf @ the hop&vine. Super delish spiced/herbed gruit.
  14. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Doesn't Gilgamesh make some hop-less stuff?