1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hop Oil before bottling

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Swim424, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Swim424

Swim424 Savant (320) Florida Apr 29, 2011

Has anyone tried adding hop oil to a beer right before they bottle? Like maybe a few hours before. If so how did it turn out? and how much did you add?
  2. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Savant (335) Georgia Apr 13, 2002

Haven't tried it but you need to be sure to use Isomerized Hop Extract (ISO), and not regular hop extract like "Hop Shots".
    WickedSluggy likes this.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Are you trying to add bitterness or are you trying to add flavor/aroma?
  4. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (475) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

If you are trying to add flavor/aroma I added an 1oz to my priming solution one time and let it steep in my french press for 30 mins at about 180*F then ran it off into my bottling bucket. If doing this you will need to add a little more priming sugar to your solution and use just over a pint of water to boil it in since you will lose some of it to the hops.
  5. Swim424

Swim424 Savant (320) Florida Apr 29, 2011

More flavor or biterness.
  6. VikeMan

For flavor, you could use a product like a hop shot. For bitterness, you'd need something that's been pre-isomerized.
  7. spry

spry Aficionado (240) Michigan Oct 8, 2009

So have you tried something like hop shot after fermentation?
  8. VikeMan

Not personally. Other have, and reported that if you can get it dissolved, it does indeed taste and smell like the hops from which the oils were CO2 extrcated.
  9. fuzzbalz

VikeMan, I've got 3 syringes (5ml ea.) of hopshots to use in a 5 gal PTE clone and I need to get about 87ibu's, from what I can come up with 7.5 ml should get me there, does this sound about right? I've planned to do a 60 min boil. I was going with pelletized hops for all the 0 min additions and dry hop additions. I'm also going to do a 30min Simcoe addition to get me over 100ibus's.
  10. VikeMan

I'm not an expert in Hop Shot bittering. I have talked with people who have used it, but haven't myself. But it appears you're in the ballpark. Have you seen this?...

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/hopshot.pdf
  11. fuzzbalz

Yea, just thought you might have some insight also first time using them, and doing a 5 gal batch (i usually do 2.5 gal) I wanted to get it right. I'll post this in a new thread and see if anyone has use them before, thanks