1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Schedule For a DIPA

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by kjyost, Jan 25, 2013.

1. kjyost

kjyost Member

So I have over a pound and a half of hops left over from 2011, and I overbought again this year. How else to celebrate than with a horribly unbalanced hop juicey DIPA. I have at least 4 ounces of each Centennial, Chinook, Amarillo & Cascade along with at least 10 ounces of Citra.

Base beer is going to be Canadian 2-Row (70%), Flaked Corn (20%), Munich (5%) & Honey Malt (5%) to an OG of 1.090, hoping to get it down to 1.010 or lower using US-05.

Here is the question for the group though, if you had those hops, what hop schedule would you employ. Don't worry about bittering hops, I've got those separately and I'll be hopping it to 100 (calculated obviously) IBUs before the flavour and aroma additions. I am looking for suggestions on the ratios of what works and how much to add in flavour and aroma additions (and how). For example, I know I have a ton of Citra, but I find it can easily overpower a beer (not necessarily in a bad way, but a one dimensional way).

I am leaning towards a 10 minute addition and a flameout 15 minute whirlpool before I use my counterflow chiller, but am looking for suggestions as this is only my second DIPA.
  2. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Member

To dry it out and hit your FG I highly recommend you add corn sugar. Else regardless it may be too malty and the hops won't shine. Min of 6oz dry hops. Same ratio you use for flavor hops. You should use the bittering charge at 60 then start adding everything else at 15 mins.

If using a carboy rack to 2ndary then dry hop. If you can, purge it with CO2. Then once a day swirl the dry hops to get them back into suspension and do that for 10days.

DIPA can be tough to do, those are my recommendations. Hit it with O2 and pitch a ton of yeast for such a big beer. Actually doing a small beer to build a yeast cake isn't a horrible idea if you don't have the ability to make a big healthy starter.
  3. crossovert

crossovert Member

fw bittering, then all super late addtions, mostly whirlpool
    mcc1654 likes this.
  4. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Member

Adding corn sugar won't dry the beer out. Replacing base malt with sugar will. It will also lighten the body

Since his F.G. will be around 1.010, thats pretty dry, do you like your beers saison dry? Also since theres no crystal malt in this beer, and theres already flaked corn (which will lighten the body), sugar will make this even lighter in body.
    BushDoctor and kjyost like this.
  5. antlerwrestler19

antlerwrestler19 Member

I would bitter with Magnum or Warrior then hit it with a barrage of the others towards the end of the boil and dry hopping. I would probably save at least half of both amarillo and citra for DH, if not all of them. I'm thinking something like 25% of both Cascade & Chinook at 15 minutes, the rest between 0-5, then hit the whirlpool with an oz each of Amarillo and Citra, saving the remaining 3oz each of Citra/Amarillo for the DH addition. My mouth is watering just thinking about this. As far as grain bill goes, I'd keep it simple like you've got it. There's no use in muting those beautiful hops with an overly complex malt bill. Good luck (and send me a bottle when done?).

Cheers!

Kyle
  6. JimmyTango

JimmyTango Member

Hmm... I like to keep Amarillo and citra out of the boil, so I'd go like this:

2oz each centennial and chinook@ 10min
    2oz each centennial and cascade at ko
    2oz each citra, Amarillo, and chinook DH

Use the left over Amarillo and citra later.
  7. honkey

honkey Member

It is interesting how the advice towards hop schedules has changed in the last couple of years. It seems like the suggestions keep getting later and later towards the end of the boil. When I first started reading this forum in 2008, a lot of people still used 30 minute additions.

I like 20 minute additions and I feel like this is where you can get the maximum amount of flavor. I also like KO additions and then I normally vary between 10 minute and 5 minute additions in between those two. If I do a 10 minute addition, I normally do a larger KO addition than if I do a 5 minute addition.

FWIW, "minimum" of 6 oz dry hops seems very high to me. I typically do 3 oz for 12 days and add another ounce in the last 5 days in a 5 gallon batch.
  8. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Member

I'd replace the 20% flaked corn with sugar unless you want a IIPA that tastes like a Malt Liquor.
    The hops look good, but if this is a 5 gal batch, you should still have some left over even for a IIPA (I'd save most of the Citras)
  9. kneary13

kneary13 Member

assuming 5-6 gallon batch, i would say a 3/4-1oz FWH would be great, then a CTZ bittering addition around 30 or 45 - later in the boil to cut down on the harshness from the high cohumolone content. then just knockout and dry-hop the crap out of it.

also, if you are using whole hops (i do for all additions, and it should be a requirement for dry hopping), make sure you produce enough wort to account for absorption to get 5 finished gallons of beer.

good luck!
  10. kjyost

kjyost Member

I wasn't sure about the flaked corn, never having used it before, but I have 5# getting older and I figured that it would dry out the body without much flavour, especially with a few flavour malts in there. Any experience with corn?

Worst case I figure I call it a DICA :)
  11. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Member

I have used flaked corn in Cream Ales, and Kentucky Commons but, using it in an IPA seems almost sacrilegious.
    Maybe you should try it and report back : ) ...I'm sure I'll try it eventually and there's probably even a commercial example.