1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hop seeds? This has to be BS.....right?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by sergeantstogie, Jan 25, 2013.

1. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Scammer.

3. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

BS = Bogus Seeds?

4. I wonder what kind of seeds people will actually be getting ha! It is WA after all.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  5. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

man, even THAT guy is out of citra... :p

6. So...a little googleing and seems like seeds MAY be legit. Not sure about this guy though. So would that mean that like other plants hobbyists grow, you COULD grow from seed until you could sex them and cull the males? Is that why rhizomes are normally used? I found a USDA site where they provide seeds for free for people conducting research.

7. That was my thought too lol.

It seems like it would be more legit if they didn't have 20+ listed. I feel like if it were one or two types I would believe it.

8. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Even if the seeds are 'legit', they will not grow true to type - kind of like apples. So you have no idea what you will get. Could be a great project for someone who is really into growing hops.

But, yes, the ad looks like BS.

9. That's weird. So a seed from a plant may deviate from what it's parent was?

10. skivtjerry

Yep. It will still be a hop and will probably be vaguely like its parents (in most cases) but not just like them. That's why rhizomes are used. Planting seeds is strictly experimental for research, developing new varieties, etc. I'm no botanist but I think this is pretty common in the plant world.

11. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

I wonder what % of ads on craigslist are scams. From experience, I'd say 93.8% :rolleyes:

12. Jefeipa

Jefeipa Aficionado (190) Arizona May 6, 2009

listing the AA% is the first tip that is fake.

13. 1/2 the shit on Craig's List is BS...but seeds are not...if you have a male plant around, you will have seeds. Skivtjerry is correct in that rhizome propagation is the only easy way to ensure the plant is genetically identical, but I believe legend has it, that Amarillos were originally seed propagated naturally.

14. skivtjerry

I've read that the first Amarillo was found growing as a volunteer plant near the hopyard. Thankfully, the weed-eater didn't get it.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  15. Hop seeds are a lot cheaper here on the east coast, although my supplier doesn't carry every hop variety in the world.... Nice find. o_O

16. What's the chance that they nadded the boy that fathered Amarillo? ...he's gotta be out there somewhere : )

17. VikeMan

Well, the orignal Amarillo plant was propagated by nature, and found growing on a farm where it wasn't expected. but every cultivated Amarillo plant since then has been propagated via rhizomes. That original Amarillo plant would not have been the same as any other wild plant.

18. Hey we all don't look just at the MsM ads ;)

19. "That original Amarillo plant would not have been the same as any other wild plant"

Will definitely not argue with that statement : )

20. he has alpha acid percentages listed. it must be legit...

21. L
    No Simcoe listed...it must be legit! Looks like the best buy since "pet rocks"...I'm dating myself : )

brewsader likes this.
  22. I have seen a lot of seeds over the years. That is way more than I have seen in 20 years.

If these are from open pollenation, you know the mother but not the father. A crap shoot.

There is the possibility that the guy works at a breeding company or university. How those are for sale, you can decide.

23. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I'm not so sure that they will be even vaguely like the parents. If you ever see the experimental plants at hop research centres they are incredibly diverse it terms of hop cone size and shape, even plants from the same parents.

24. it's obviously a front for weed. /thread.

25. VikeMan

I don't think that's obvious or necessarily true.

Really?

26. Weed is legal in Wa so no need to run a front.

27. no, i was being facetious.

maybe they're shipping outside of WA? just a thought.

28. i'm debating ordering some just to see what the deal is.

FarmerTed likes this.
  29. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Good to know he has all types and regions of Golding available.

ericj551 likes this.