1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hop Stoopid 411

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gwdavis, Jan 29, 2013.

1. If you can find it fresh, Maximus is one of the last of a dying breed and I prefer it over Hop Stoopid. A great DIPA in a 6 pack for under $10, gotta love Lagunitas!
    3letters3numbers likes this.
  2. No you don't. They wasted more time answering than reading, IMHO.
  3. Homers gonna homer. So Lagunitas and FW are just "craft-ish?" WTF does that even mean? Just because you don't brew in a barn or sell your bottles at farmers markets you're relegated to "craft-ish."

Looks like this thread is about Hop Stoopid, not how everything coming out of VT tastes of unicorn tears.

I really enjoy Hop Stoopid when it's fresh. As others have stated, the Julian code on the neck is your best friend. It's usually easy to see if you hold the bottle at eye level or above with direct light coming through the neck of the bottle.
  4. gwdavis

gwdavis Aficionado (190) Georgia Feb 8, 2012

This guy means business. I'm not mad at it.
  5. I know man.
    I must be insane for having my own opinion.
  6. You clearly haven't had any super fresh Hill,Alchemist or Lawsons DIPAs, for that I pity you. I also enjoy the Hop Stoopid, but realize exactly where it falls in the general scheme of double IPAs. If you were to trade for a case of unicorn tears then you would truly know the joy of the big 3 from VT. Maybe I can trade you a 4 Pak of headies for some dales(hahaha)...
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

How did a thread about a commonly found five dollar bomber get so long and serious?
  8. I have, so you can save your pity.
    I'm cool, I think I'll just slum it with some Lagunitas Sucks.
  9. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

I agree. Does anyone know if it's possible to quote his post OVER to the "Beer Snob Stories" thread? :p This is why I really enjoy being a beer geek rather than a snob... I have had a few beers from all of the "Big Three". While great, they are what they are and I love the other beers mentioned above as well. None of us sit in a corner crying because you get HF and we don't...
    fujindemon74 and ant880 like this.
  10. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

HAHAHAHA
  11. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (180) New York Dec 25, 2008

Is there a way to "dislike" a post?
  12. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

To me, this post reads, "I can get Hill Farmstead and you cannot. Good luck with your dog shit"
  13. Just picked up a case today. It does have a bottling date on the neck. It started with 003, which means a bottling date of Jan. 3, 2013.
    FishPondManager likes this.
  14. Id call that hitting the jackpot. Damn, in PA too. It's hard to find it < a month old sometimes around here.
  15. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

In my experience, when someone tells me they hate(d) the Grateful Dead, they're often not talking about the band at all, but about the fans.

I'm really beginning to hate beer from Vermont.
  16. It's a fantastic beer at a price that is extremely hard to beat. Expect greatness.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  17. Not dogshit, Dogfish. Really not at all, I like hop Stoopid and its def one of the 20 beers that I drink most frequently. No hate for it in any way.
  18. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Savant (330) California Feb 1, 2011

Enough experience sharing having been made, keep an eye on it at the $3.99-$4.59 price point. That's the going rate so anything less than $3.99 you're golden. It's a great 22oz to stock up on!
  19. It might just be me, yet I can't taste the difference between hop stoopid and little sumpin sumpin..almost identical in a side by side tasting
  20. Hopefully not jan 3, 2012
  21. don't hate the beer it's the noobs.
  22. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

Dude, you're so cool.
    OneBeertoRTA and T-RO like this.
  23. I like my women like I like my Hop Stoopid...
  24. You said "come at me". So I did. If hop stoopid and Pliny were even remotely comparable, this site would be filled with hop stoopid threads instead of ones asking "is there anything that can compare to Pliny". The replies are all NO. Pliny is the benchmark for all DIPAs and only heady topper is even in the same ball park.. And that just comes down to opinion. I will hold firm on that hop stoopid is great.. But I can get 10 or more better IPA bombers on the regular. No argument trying to be started as I have two hop stoopids in my fridge right now, but I would trade my whole fridge for a few Pliny bombers.
  25. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Heh. I don't hate the beer or the drinkers, just being a crank.
  26. I did say that.
    And I know several people that I don't consider idiots that feel the same way.

But I didn't declare you "insane" or insult your opinion on beer(s).
    My reply was my an attempt to keep it civil.

Regardless, no worries dude.
    Ivegotmule likes this.
  27. "Craftish" is a poor choice of words when referring to Lagunitas or FW.
    raynmoon likes this.
  28. Awsome beer for great price! I would put its juicy hop character up against some of the best DIPAs..