1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hop Stoopid - most underrated?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by daleyke, Jul 16, 2013.

1. I drank 3 bombers over the weekend and another tonight. I just can't believe this beer is not even among the top 50 DIPAs. It has to be the most underrated beer out there. I truly believe if this beer was a one off or limited release seasonal that costs $17 a bomber people would be falling all over each other just to get some. Does anyone else out there love this beer?

2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

One of my favorites - fantastic and reasonably priced. For some reason I have a hard time in some stores getting the light just right to read the date on the neck, and it's one of those beers that really turns malty with a lot of age on it, so I do take a pass on it if there's any doubt to how old it is. I do wish they made reading the dates easier (on the label/different ink, etc.)

3. Just popped my first one about 10 minutes ago, I'm down to about 4 oz. The proof is in the pudding, or the liver I suppose.

Roguer likes this.
  4. I'm not a big fan of Lagunitas but I think this beer is truly great and it is easily my favorite beer they make.

cnbrown313, TychoNDC and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  5. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Love this juice - between Unearthly and this it makes me wonder why I trade for IPA's.

SammyJaxxxx and dawg1969 like this.
  6. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

It's a great beer that always gets lost in the shuffle.. I tend to pass it up alot myself, but I'm well aware of its' greatness..

jmich24, pixieskid and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  7. Too hop extract-y.

Gatch, gcamparone, CircusBoy and 5 others like this.
  8. It does seem harder to read the date on Hop Stoopid than the 12 ounce Lagunitas bottles. I always feel like such a shithead when I'm holding the bottle up to light in the beer store. But I'm not gonna buy it if I don't know the date - so be it. I wish they would offer it in the 12 ounce format. I would buy it buy the case on a regular.

coronajm, MeBeerGood, mjryan and 3 others like this.
  9. dawg1969

dawg1969 Aficionado (140) Florida Aug 9, 2010

Has always been a fav of mine. When fresh it is hard to beat, great price also! I think I grab a few everytime it comes in, great with Steak and Eggs for dinner. Mmmmm.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  10. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

"Look at fancy man inspecting his beer" - I don't feel like too much of a douche when doing it, but I probably look like a complete tool to someone unfamiliar with what info I'm trying to get. :)

11. I often recommend Hop Stoopid to people as an alternative to Pliny. They're really quite similar.

12. I love it, my favourite beer from Lagunitas, and one of my all-time favourite Imperial IPAs. I have a bomber about 3 feet from me now, but it's a gift for a friend. Sometimes I think I'm too generous, heck I also bought him a bottle of RuinTen today...

SedateSix and Crazy4LegMoose like this.
  13. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Savant (385) Georgia Apr 13, 2002

It's my go-to when I don't know what to get, a very solid beer and YES a PTE alternative. I wonder if it's not the label, not very nice to look at but DAM tasty to pour out of.

rails likes this.
  14. It's no Sucks.

15. Bear1964

Bear1964 Savant (305) Nebraska Dec 12, 2012

A solid beer that tastes great and the price is right....try it if you have not...awesome!

rails and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  16. Best bomber deal in existence. Love it.

17. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Funny you should say this cause there's no easy to get shelf turds on the list. That's why I don't rate beers, at least publicly

18. A great 'go-to' beer anytime. Can't beat the price, either...$4.49 on the east coast?!? That's what I'm talking about!

rails likes this.
  19. When it's within 2 weeks of bottling...YES! 100% agreed. That beer falls off faster than any other DIPA I've had... Sumpin Sumpin falls into this category as well. Wow, what a snobby response. Is what it is I guess.

20. It's kind of sweet for my taste. That said, I have a 64oz growler of it in the fridge I got for $8.99

21. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

The best $5 beer made if you ask me.

rails likes this.
  22. vande

vande Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

Shhhhhhh... Its only $4.49... I'd hate for it to all of a sudden be "rare" because its good...

rails likes this.
  23. TheNoni

TheNoni Aficionado (100) New York Nov 19, 2010

$3.99 at D'Agostino in Manhattan.

Greatest deal ever....or greatest deal EVER?!

Rainblows, rails and hoppytobehere like this.
  24. So is Pliny.

1up, Yosefus, PalatePilot and 3 others like this.
  25. For some reason, i haven't bought any in awhile. I will fix that this week.
    It tends to sit on the shelf by me.
    If I can read the date, and it is reasonably fresh, I will buy it.

DrStiffington likes this.
  26. Genuine

Genuine Savant (465) Connecticut May 7, 2009

It is by far, one of my favorite DIPA's. Solid, terrific aroma, great taste and ABV are on point. I don't know why I don't stock up on it more often. It's a great and delivery offering, that is looked over a lot. Great flavor, awesome beer and very reasonably priced.

I bet if they charged more for it, it has the potential to be thought more highly. Who knows.

It's a rock solid DIPA and thanks for reminding me to pick some up!

slim2043 likes this.
  27. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (555) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

It gets a 94 on BA.

gcamparone likes this.
  28. It is hard to beat for the price. But the date thing bothers me. If I'm looking for a 22oz DIPA I would pass right by this for the Ruination or GD Hercules.

29. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

This beer on tap is absolutely mind blowing. An incredible buy @ $4.99 although it does seem like its not always fresh.

A big fan of Lagunitas' hop profile and this one delivers in spades. I actually think its kinda similar to Myrcenary, which is among my top 5ish commonly available DIPAs.

30. [​IMG]
    TO THE FACE.

ChipMurray and mfnmbvp like this.
  31. b-one

b-one Aficionado (230) California Feb 6, 2013

Preach on.

LaneMeyer likes this.
  32. Just had a 22 oz hop stoopid on draft for a five spot. Yum.

33. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Yeah, best bang for the buck. About $3.50/22oz here in PDX.

34. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Can you be more clear about this? I'm not being a smart ass, just curious what flavors you get that tell you this.

ThirstyFace likes this.
  35. DarrenStory

DarrenStory Savant (265) Oregon Feb 11, 2013

Everybody needs to be quiet and calm down. I find this beer for around $3.50 at the convenience store down the street, and if you all ruin this for me I will be very upset. With that said, I think it's because the label is the most un-appitizing label I've ever seen in my life.

TEKNISHE, swolepeer and surfcaster like this.
  36. DarrenStory

DarrenStory Savant (265) Oregon Feb 11, 2013

Get out of my head :)

37. rrock44

rrock44 Savant (325) Washington Oct 27, 2009

I haven't had a bad brew from lagunitas. It's a toss up between hop stoopid and sucks, with Maximus a close third in my personal medal ceremonies for lagunitas DIPAs.

38. Hop Stoopid was prolly one of the first DIPAs I drank - it will always be one of my favorites. You just can't beat it in bang for the buck. I've still got six bombers in the fridge from a case I got a couple weeks ago. Gotta savor them!

rails likes this.
  39. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Can never read the date, so I always pass on it. I did enjoy it the few times I had it.

Netdigger2 and cjoc83 like this.
  40. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I'm sure you can tell.