Hop Stoopid - most underrated?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by daleyke, Jul 16, 2013.

1. I think it's because the label is the most un-appitizing label I've ever seen in my life.[/quote]

I am a huge Lagunitas fan, and would drink their stuff in a plain white can, but I agree with you on the label here. It is out of character with their other offerings and easy to overlook. Too bad--I think they could sell more but they have so many good hoppy offerings anyway.

2. Tony reads these threads, let's not put any ideas in his head.

Dakotah likes this.
  3. Whatever it is that they use, it makes all of their hoppy beers taste the same across the board. No diverse flavors whatsoever. I'll pass.

4. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Savant (270) New York Oct 21, 2004

Hey Tony - if you're reading this, don't make us look stoopid by having to look like a goof trying to read the date. Please make it clear as hell on the bottle. Cheers!

5. I'd rather have Victory Helios for my 'best bang for your buck beer" but thats just me.

JrGtr and DrStiffington like this.
  6. Pliny isn't much better.

7. DarrenStory

DarrenStory Savant (265) Oregon Feb 11, 2013

I think it's actually the nicest label in my fridge right now.

[​IMG]

8. ElderPuma

ElderPuma Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2012

And I'd bet that if reviewed blindly it would score much higher, but you know, it isn't rare enough, or hard to get, or expensive so it must be garbage.

9. Durge

Durge Advocate (570) Connecticut May 22, 2007

The fact that it's a relatively widely distributed and well known craft brew, and probably somewhat a victim of it's super friendly price, this great hop brew gets passed more than it should. I'm guilty of it as well. You can never go wrong with it in your fridge but you will typically overlook it while searching for something less commonly available and less known. This is a good reminder for us all to go stock up. You know it's out there somewhere nearby!

rails and mnbuffalo like this.
  10. phooky

phooky Savant (420) New York Jan 23, 2010

Thanks for the reminder- I'll be picking some up tomorrow (assuming I can find it fresh)

11. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (735) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

One of my all time favorite DIPAs... Would definitely take this over some of the top 50.

12. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

You keep your mouth shut about Hop Stoopid.

Beerandraiderfan and TychoNDC like this.
  13. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Texas Jan 3, 2013

Sucks > Hop Stoopid >>> Most DIPAs

Beerandraiderfan and TychoNDC like this.
  14. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

The first rule of Hop Stoopid is you do not talk about how good Hop Stoopid is. The second rule of Hop Stoopid is...

15. I think you can't go wrong with either one. My two favorite cheap bombers, but two different tastes.

16. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (295) Brazil May 27, 2011

When I visited Lagunitas (and did the tour) they were bottling it, so I had the chance to drink a bottle straight out of the bottling line. What a fantastic day.

rails likes this.
  17. Spikester

Spikester Savant (450) Oregon Jul 14, 2007

good, more for me!

18. Sounds like someone just picked up 4 fresh bombers at WF

19. DanE

DanE Savant (420) Connecticut Feb 24, 2012

I kind of agree. But it is good. Sometimes I get a toasted grain flavor in the after taste that is a slight turn off for me. So I drink it pretty fast. If I could get it at $4.99 a bomber here in Hartford, I would buy it more regularly.

20. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'm a huge fan. Price wise (at least in the bomber world) it is an absolute steal.

21. Its hard to knock it. Great price, easy to come by, tastes delicious...what's not to like. It just doesn't receive all the hype, because like people have said...its cheap, can find it nearly anywhere, and its still damn tasty!

22. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

While i do like Hop Stoopid, I am a bigger fan of Little Sumpin Sumpin. Laguinitas is the best brewery for the price. I find myself taking their beers for granted as they are always available. I need to change that.

Durge likes this.
  23. Not really. To me it's a "good" beer, but far from overrated. I'll take Maximus any day over it.

djl9701 likes this.
  24. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Agree it has to be fresh as well, like most super hoppy brews. Can't beat the price point.

25. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Aficionado (215) Michigan Jul 26, 2012

There it is.... For the last year I've been on a quest to try as many celebrated IPA/IIPAs as I can get, and still have Lawson's, HF(Going to VT in 3 weeks), Societe, Citra, and Fuzzy Ducks remaining on my personal list. I especially love Jai Alai, Abrasive, SOSUS, and Pure Hoppiness, but I feel there is mystique to limited bottles that people crave that probably diminishes the true value of a Hop Stoopid. Are my personal favorites really better? Is a Dreadnaught at $12 a better value sitting next to a Hop Stoopid? I don't know who wins between those two in a blind test.

Look at what people are asking for right now for a BA Mexican Cake. I got caught up in the CA BA Huna hype and probably overpaid on one of my two bottles on a trade that wasn't with a long-term trading partner. I learned my lesson and am going to let others pay a premium to get in the BA MC hype.

My point is, I think the post I quoted nailed it, price and availability probably diminish Hop Stoopid's value in the eyes of many. Good chance it would have a higher BA score if you had to travel to the brewery or trade a 4 pack of Surly per bomber.

rails and Durge like this.
  26. I've always liked Hop Stoopid but I am curious as to why the label is so different from all other Lagunitas' labels - no dog, no pithy sayings, etc.

cnbrown313 and Durge like this.
  27. JohnQ

JohnQ Aficionado (125) California Jul 7, 2012

I been wanting to have one since it has been awhile and as mentioned the price is VERY reasonable.But I don't know the format of the date coding.

28. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Savant (390) Georgia Apr 13, 2002

here's a pretty good listing of brewers bottle dates explained
    http://freshbeeronly.com/The_Fresh_Beer_List.html#L

JohnQ likes this.
  29. dobe12

dobe12 Disciple (60) New Jersey Dec 3, 2011

Couldn't agree more!

30. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I love reading the anti hop extract comments from folks who probably don't realize Hill Farmstead and Alchemist, and many other of the top IPA producers, use hop extract for better bittering addition. They also probably don't realize that these brewers make their own hop extracts to their own specs, something a whole lot more skillful than buying hops and dumping them in.

31. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

The look on my friends face after he got to try a drop of the pure hop extract at Lagunitas was priceless!

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  32. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (660) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

I have to admit that I agree with you: most of their hoppy beers tend to have the same hop flavor. However, Hop Stoopid was one of the first DIPA's I ever tried, so there will always be a soft spot for it in my belly. And at $5 a bomber, you can't beat that shit.

33. It's the yeast they use that creates similar profiles in all their IPA's/DIPA's. I happen to like them all but if you don't like one there's a chance you won't like any of them.

34. Thanks for the clarification, sir.

35. Just happened to read that fact last night in Tony's book "The Lagunitas Story". He said all his beers used to taste like nothing no matter how much he dry hopped, until they changed the yeast they used and he actually agrees with those that say all Lagunitas Hoppy Beers have a similar taste.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  36. teraflx

teraflx Savant (415) Arizona Feb 4, 2013

I agree. I grabbed one that was about 6 weeks old at a local store and it was nothing like a fresh one I got on vacation one time. Very malty compared to the fresh one.

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.

37. Sorry, I just disagree. I think it adds to the amazing lure of the actual beer that it's such a plain jane label with IMO hideous colors. No flashy Zombies or silver cans calling you a dbag. Just a simplistic label letting you know what the beer is.

38. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

I love this beer. I suspect it is not a top 50 DIPA because it lacks the taste of rarity.

timontheroad and Rainblows like this.
  39. Haha. After reading this thread I just had to go out and buy a bomber each of Helios And Hop Stoopid since it's been awhile since I've had either.

40. Love the beer, just never really grab it because I prefer Maximus so much more... Maximus is 8.89 in 6ers and Hop Stoopid Is 3.99-4.39 a bomber so it is a no brainer. My Lagunitas DIPA ratings are as follows

Maximus 4.88
    Sucks 4.75
    Hop Stoopid 4.49

I bet you are happy you know that now!;)

EdH and cavedave like this.