1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hop Stoopid - most underrated?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by daleyke, Jul 16, 2013.

1. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

I've thought this about almost all Lagunitas beers, but I still tend to enjoy them. Just a little cloying.
  2. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

This is a great DIPA, especially for the price.
  3. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

It has a 94 rating on here, so no, it's definitely not underrated or under appreciated. It's pretty damn tasty, but I got a bit of that garlic/onion hop flavor, which was a turn off for me. And an alternative to PtE? What the f$?! Are you people smoking! HS is way too big and boozy to even coming close to resembling PtE, not to mention that Pliny doesn't have that garlic thing going on.

It's a good beer at a great price point. But when I see fresh Flower Power, Double Jack, Double Trouble, Hoptimum, etc, on the shelves... Yeah. Someone else can have the Hop Stoopid.
    hoppytobehere and Chaaaarlieeee like this.
  4. sbxx

sbxx Savant (465) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

It's my least favorite Lagunitas beer. There's a reason it's cheap and readily available.
    Retail1LO and Chaaaarlieeee like this.
  5. Solid DIPA for the money.
  6. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Champion (935) California Oct 13, 2007

UNDERrated? Hop Stoppid has received a lot of love since the day it was bottled, and is one of the most talked about beers on this site.
    kwakwhore likes this.
  7. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Wait. A BA score of 94 is bad?
  8. I'm never really disappointed with anything from Lagunitas. Hop Stoopid isn't my favorite from them, but I wouldn't throw her out of bed
  9. Math<drinking beer
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  10. DarrenStory

DarrenStory Savant (265) Oregon Feb 11, 2013

I get this weird Sad/Crying-Scream Mask, haunted barn vide from it. Maybe I just watched too many stoopid scary movies growing up...
  11. "If it's Pliny, it's Piny!"
    -Gentleman
  12. myuncle

myuncle Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 17, 2012

I buy one every visit to the store. If you go to the same store you usually know if it's fresh.
    Retail1LO and ChanChan like this.
  13. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I am a big fan of Lagunitas and I really like this beer, not as much as sucks tho!
    kwakwhore likes this.
  14. I love Lagunitas...really do. But this one (IMO) is cat piss in a bottle. I've even been given this in a blind tasting and said the same thing. If you like it...it truly is a fantastic deal at around $5/bottle and widely available. But I get why its not in the top 50 DIPAs.

I'm glad so many people like it...keeps them from snagging all the sumpin sumpin
  15. I am a huge Lagunitas fan, and would drink their stuff in a plain white can, but I agree with you on the label here. [/quote]

Should I eat the label before or after I drink the beer?
  16. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I don't give any thought to the label because I know what's in it... one of my favorites if fresh. Unfortunately, the last three that I've had were dated enough that I got no hop aroma, and it tasted like a malty, sour mess. Old Hop Stoopid is the reason that I researched how to rear their bottle codes... and I must say, it's not easy in the stores to find the right place to stand in the right light to look at the right spot on the neck to read the date. I always assume if someone sees me doing this, I must look as though I'm contemplating purchasing a bottle of Monica and Chandler champagne.
  17. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

To people who can taste the hop extract: No, you can't.
    nickapalooza86 and jRocco2021 like this.
  18. Hop Stoopid is very underrated. You can get it for cheap, it has a great taste platform, is a big bottle and you don't get popped hard with the ABV.
  19. dmorgan310

dmorgan310 Savant (465) Panama Jan 30, 2012

Yes, it's a great go to beer when you want that over the top hop flavor.
  20. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Drinking one right now due to this thread. Fantastic DIPA!

But this "great deal" stuff is garbage. Especially when you can have twice the Maximus or Sumpin Sumpin for the same price. 4.99 is a "great deal" for a bomber only. And a bomber is never a good deal for consumers.
  21. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

You must have never had Laguntias IPA. That's a poor example of an IPA from a high quality brewer.
  22. Overlooked, not underrated.
    Spikester and jRocco2021 like this.
  23. My favorite. One of the beers that got me into craft
  24. Roguer

Roguer Champion (890) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

I just bought a bottle of Hop Stoopid, and I could not find a date on a single bottle, period. I think it'll be worth the shot in the dark, anyway; it wasn't a bad price.
  25. this is one fantastic brew...
  26. brywhite

brywhite Advocate (500) California Aug 27, 2009

I cannot stand Hop Stoopid. As a lover of IPA/DIPA (and even most Lagunitas beers) it appears that I differ from the majority here.

I buy it for my sister who visits regularly - she loves Hop Stoopid - but in the past when she's missed a trip and to keep her supply fresh, I re-visit the beer, open a bottle and give it another chance. It is really not that good. I don't know what it is but I cannot swallow when that beer goes in my mouth. Maybe I am alone but to me it has some kind of weird vegetable quality to it & the kind of taste that one gets in their mouth when they have the flu.
    So for me, drain pour is the best way to keep supply fresh.
  27. It honestly does have a really bad label when compared with Lagunitas other offerings. I'm drinking one right now and I think it's past date. Plus I now have further confirmation that Michigan has great beer but horrible beer prices.
  28. sooo good and so cheap!
  29. A bomber of Hop Stoopid is a staple of my fridge.
  30. I lol'd at "too hop extracty."

It's been awesome every time I had it, but it is by no means underrated.
  31. ssshhh be quiet man. We don't want them to raise the price.
    No, all kidding aside this is one of my favorites and staples.
    If you have never had PtE this one is close.
    PtE is better and has a much smoother finish, but the taste other wise is close.
    This beer is a "Must Try" for hop heads.
  32. Spikester

Spikester Savant (450) Oregon Jul 14, 2007

thanks!
  33. Spikester

troll!
  34. Spikester

$3.49 here, great value. Never had an out of date beer.
  35. BlurryVisi0n

BlurryVisi0n Savant (325) New York Feb 25, 2011

Very underrated...I was having this argument with a fellow co-worker earlier today. Hop Stoopid should be called "Stoopid If You Don't Buy Me". For five bucks, you are getting a gift.
  36. I can find these all over for around $3.50, and I rarely pass them up. I love this to start a beer night. It really awakens the palate.
  37. myuncle

myuncle Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 17, 2012

Lagunitas is opening soon here in Chicago. 1 month away. Just another brewery stop added on around here!
    ChanChan likes this.
  38. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Me too. This is precisely why I have never tried it aside from the first time which was clearly well beyond consumable
  39. brywhite

brywhite Advocate (500) California Aug 27, 2009

So because I don't like Hop Stoopid, that makes me a troll? Whatever dude.
  40. Redbeerman

Redbeerman Aspirant (30) Maryland Jan 11, 2013

My memory of this beer is not overly favorable. It's been a long while since I had it, so I can't remember why. Guess I'll need to try it again sometime and report back.