1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hop Stoopid - most underrated?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by daleyke, Jul 16, 2013.

1. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

Nice!!! Lagunitas is really good!! What I love about them is that you can find their beer at local grocery stores. Their beer is pretty affordable too!! As far as I am concerned fresh Sucks can stand up to the big IPA's!!

2. Ill stick with Sierra Nevada Torpedo bombers for 2.99$. Killer deal and tastes better than Hop Stoopid.

3. Unless that shit's bottle dated, there's no way to know it's fresh. Especially with a trip from California to Illinois.

Anyone know if Lagunitas bottle dates?

4. Sean802

Sean802 Savant (315) Vermont Jul 14, 2013

Had to be an old bottle and shame on me for buying an opposite coast ipa but, it was.. Just not that good.

5. I have gotten Stoopid a time or 2 ...
    Believe it or not !

6. Bigtwin

Bigtwin Savant (460) Michigan Sep 13, 2010

You Dickheads cost me $48.00 at the store. I hope you're happy.

7. ScottieD

ScottieD Savant (430) Connecticut Jul 30, 2011

I love Hop Stoopid also. Great go-to, hoppy beer. There are others I enjoy a bit more but for price point and taste, it is a terrific offering....

8. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

With all due respect to Green Flash, Stone, Ballast Point, and company, sometimes I think Lagunitas invented hops.

9. Its good, but the back end falls apart as it warms. Gets too nutty and it mixes poorly with the perceived sweetness from the hops. I blame the Victory malt.

10. How is this a cheap beer?

Even at $4.49 a bottle tax included it turns into a $14.70 six pack.

Flower power is under $10 a six pack at whole foods.

Good beer but lets not call it cheap. There are many really good IPA's for well under $60 a case, even in Philly.

Enjoy

beerindaglass likes this.
  11. It's a great beer, and a hell of a good value. It's probably not one of the top 40 on here because there are probably 4000 DIPAs; it's a ridiculously popular style, both for brewers and drinkers. The top 100 are probably all within a few decimal points of eachother.

12. dougfur

dougfur Savant (345) New York Jan 24, 2011

Great beer, great price, but not underrated. It does well on the ratings and if it falls a little short, I'd guess it's because it's a little more bitter than most DIPA heads prefer.

13. JohnQ

JohnQ Aficionado (125) California Jul 7, 2012

I appreciate the info but am still a bit confused.I bought a 6 pack of Lagunitas Maximus at Bevmo on Monday.
    the code is 142 3
    6124 1722

So it's May 22.Unless it's June 20 2012 :(

14. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Savant (325) California Jul 25, 2008

It's May 22, 2013.

15. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

When shopping for IPAs, it always comes down to picking my favorite among the most reasonably fresh that my beer store has to offer. I've only had a bottle of Hop Stoopid one time and I always stay away from it now because the one I had was ancient, and I can never read the bottling dates. Even if I could read them, I would have to learn to disipher their bottle date codes.
    I've been told over and over that this beer is awesome when it's fresh, so I'd like to know where Lagunitas' bottle dates are, and how to read them. Anyone wanna help a bro out?

16. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Savant (390) Georgia Apr 13, 2002

4 digit date on the neck, first three # are the day of the year, last # is the #in the date of the year.

17. HS is good but here's a reasonable comparison to consider. Hop Stoopid vs. Stone Rumination. Bombers similarly priced, similar ABV, both highly ranked in the bowels of BA...SR wins... IMHO of course.

18. This thread has caused me to go buy this beer. Like others have mentioned, I forgot how good it is. Can't beat the price.

19. I love the citrus kick! and who cares if they use extracts, they say so right on the bottle, at least the one I had did. Amazing beer!

20. JohnQ

I actually wanted to get some at the grocery store yesterday.But it was day 122.So I got some Racer 5 that was a little fresher.

21. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

I agree it is a great price for what you get, but it does fall off. (Guess that makes me snobby as well,lol) Had it on tap at Lagunitas on Thursday. It was fantastic. Stating facts ain't snobby RB, just keeping it real by telling it like it is. Great beer if drank fresh, if not, then not so much. Cheers!

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  22. Is $5/bomber really a good price? That equates to $16.36/6-pack which is far from a good price especially compared with Sucks and Maximus.

23. matttttYCE

matttttYCE Savant (295) Arizona Jul 15, 2010

Add another person to the list of "people this thread caused to go buy some Hop Stoopid"! And I know that almost $5 a bomber isn't cheap when you consider six pack prices of other shit compared to that, but in my mind it's totally worth it!!

Geuzedad likes this.
  24. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (415) California Dec 17, 2012

I'm so jelly of all the folks able to get this fresh. Now every time I see a bottle of Hop Stoopid in the store, it just makes me mad, since it's always an old bottle. I'm not stoopid enough to fall for that one again...

25. wwrussell

wwrussell Disciple (70) California Jul 27, 2008

I could not agree with you more. This ale is truly a great beverage. I drank one tonight and, like you, do not know why this brew is not more greatly appreciated. I am a big Stone fan but this ale is on par with anything that comes out of their San Diego brewery.

26. I'm sure as a business man, you'd be enjoying wasting in the neighborhood of 20% of your batch because of the water retention from your hops bill too. There are better solutions hop lover. At that point it's like giving it away to sell it for under a 5er, and then you'd bemoan it for being too expensive.

27. JohnQ

I been kinda taking a break.Last weekend was a company BBQ.So drink for the day was PBR and Coors light.So as not to get too outta hand.Or having a little Sailor Jerry at home.

So the other day I found a fairly recent (165) dated bottle and BTW a Simtra bottled 7-22 as well.I didn't have them both the same day;) .Hop Stoopid was very good and tasty and again the price didn't hurt.

The next night I had the Simtra.And honestly that fresh the stuff is a Madman.Just so Hoppy.But the good part is after finishing a bomber I feel like I've had enough.

28. JHE73

JHE73 Aficionado (165) California Mar 7, 2013

Good, not great

29. I find it hard to believe that a double IPA with a score of 94 is the most underrated beer on this site.

30. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Savant (345) Pennsylvania Jan 12, 2011

i think they use the exract well. and for an under five dollar bomber who gives a turd? It's verys satisfying and i get pissed when they run out.

31. How do you get pissed if you can't get beer ;)?

32. Hop Stoopid is underrated? By whom? Hop Stoopid is one of the best beers I have ever had!

Prince_Casual and ChipMurray like this.
  33. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

What I don't get is why it's $3.49 at Ingles and I've seen it for $6 in other states. Great beer for tree fiddy. I'd never buy it for 6 bucks.

34. Zorro

Zorro Advocate (705) California Dec 25, 2003

Well lets be honest Laugunitas hasn't made a bad beer ever.

35. MarshMan71

MarshMan71 Advocate (625) Illinois Jul 17, 2012

I just recently walked into a bottle stop that had a bunch of random bombers in a cart on clearance. and I started rummaging through them and seen several hop stooped for $1.97 ea. oldest was 2 months so pretty fresh needless to say I snatched up almost a dozen of them. it was like a Beer Christmas for me. One of the best beers made IMO.

36. Bombers are rarely a deal and 3.49 for 22oz still puts it over $10 a sixer but sometimes one of those is just right when getting things going with a couple of friends. Usually it's <$3.50 to $4 in NC--good for a double.

37. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Thanks for the lesson in cipherin

38. Great call on this being underrated. Awesome beer I always tell people about that are intimidated by higher prices.

As far as why its never talked about, it's BC of the price itself. People associate price with quality and, as we can see, this is not always the case.

RA

39. billbeers

billbeers Savant (300) Pennsylvania Jun 14, 2012

Hop Stoopid is good beer.