1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hop Venom in Seattle?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by whiskey, Sep 15, 2012.

1. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Just got into Seattle, and I haven't seen any hop venom on taplister or taphunter. Any locals know where I can sample some of this tasty beverage? Thanks!

2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

3. whiskey

66jzmstr and draheim like this.
  4. whiskey

Enjoying my Hop Venom at Pinebox now. My buddy that's with me has been wanting to try 120 for awhile and they happen to have it on on tap here too. The beer karma is swinging inmy favor tonight....

libbey likes this.
  5. draheim

Indeed it is. Hop Venom isn't always available in Seattle so you timed it right.

6. I've never really had much if any luck with taplister in Seattle. Twitter and/or Facebook tend to be really good sources of up-to-date information directly from the beer bars.

djbreezy likes this.
  7. whiskey

I hear you, I just don't know what all the good beer bars are. I know there are a few listed on the Seattle thread, but not a ton.

8. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Wish I would have seen this when I was up there yesterday. Looks like a cool spot. Is all your beer this expensive? Wow. PDX and Vancouver have ultra cheap pints in comparison.

9. Off the top of my head (and for future reference in case you've already escaped the the Inland Empire), here are the bars/stores I follow on Twitter and/or Facebook that do a good job of keeping up-to-date:

Fremont Brewing
    Brouwer's
    Burgundian
    Bottleworks
    Collins Pub
    Hudson Public House
    Mutiny Hall
    The Last Drop
    Uber Tavern
    Naked City
    The Pine Box
    Noble Fir
    Urban Family Public House
    Reuben's Brews

beertunes, djbreezy and libbey like this.
  10. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Yeah pretty much.

djbreezy likes this.
  11. No, but often Belgians and other quality imports can run pretty expensive. I'd say standard US beers tend to run $5-6, doubles and imperials $7-8, and rare stuff $9-10.

12. whiskey

Thanks buckeye!

If you guys are still looking at this thread, any Pumking on tap around? I don't even know ih there are kegs floating around but figured I'd ask. I'm downtown, so The Pine Box was freaking awesome.

13. Forget Pumking, my man. Run up to Elysian Capitol Hill --- not far from where you are --- and get some Great Pumpkin on tap.

Boz12, libbey and djbreezy like this.
  14. draheim

I second Buckeye's recommendation for Great Pumpkin; however, if you must have Pumking it looks like Chuck's has it on tap right now. You owe it to yourself to check out that shop anyway, if you care to venture way up north where I live.

15. whiskey

Thanks guys, went to Elysian fields last night and it was closed...didn't realize they only open during sporting events? My local alehouse has Spokizee has Great Pumpkin going on so I'll have pretty easy access to that soon. I'll post up if I make it to Capitol Hill...

16. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Savant (460) Washington Dec 1, 2004

Damn. It was on at The Wurst Place on Sunday. Along with a lot of other goodies too.

17. Latona Pub does a great job of updating their taplist on Facebook and Twitter.

18. whiskey

Well. ended up at Elysian Capitol hill and had some Great Pumpkin. Also went back to The Pine Box again and got my fill of Hop Venom. It has gotta be the closest thing I've had to Heady.

Uber Tavern had PtE on tap but couldn't get that far north.

Thanks for all the suggestions, fellas!

19. Wow, you just missed Collins Pub tapping their PtE keg.

20. Latona Pub also has PtE on tap. Stopped in the other day for a pint.

21. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Chucks 85th has Venom on.

22. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

For about five hours lol

23. whiskey

Went that quick? It was on Saturday night when we went and still on Monday night at The Pine Box.

24. Chucks does growler fills, Pine Box does not. That's why.

whiskey likes this.
  25. draheim

Chuck's also seems to enjoy giving away unlimited free samples of beer. I was in there one night when they seemed to be pouring lots of free samples of Angel's Share Bourbon Barrel. I bet if you wanted to be a complete douchebag, you could tick 30 beers in there without spending a nickel.

26. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

I got in at 5 on Saturday, we tapped it less than an hour before I got there. It was gone by about 9. Like Distantmantra said, it's because we do growler fills of anything on tap.

27. Alpar

Alpar Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 13, 2009

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm also in Seattle for a few hours and looking for a place that has Hop Venom and RPM on tap... Not sure it there is any hop venom around. I found RPM in west Seattle at Beer Junction but that's it so far. Happy to have even found that but I'm pushing my luck :) thanks!

28. fsck

fsck Savant (340) Washington Apr 13, 2013

check the wurst place.

Alpar likes this.
  29. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (365) Washington Nov 26, 2008

Yeh, Wurst Place usually has both at any given time. And, awesome brats!

Alpar and jrnyc like this.
  30. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

If you can find Notorious, seek it out. Better than Hop Venom and RPM. also, go to Wurst Place, I visited Seattle for first time last month, loved that place, went there 3 times.

Alpar likes this.
  31. Bob's Liquors on Lake City Way has Hop Venom for growler fills right now.

Prufrockstar and Alpar like this.
  32. Alpar

Alpar Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 13, 2009

BAAAAM! Thanks, fsck and Aleforme, definitely going there!

Thanks Distantmantra but only have a few hours then flying out, appreciate that though.

@jrnyc, will be on the look out. Heading there shortly!

33. While we're on the subject, a little shameless promotion doesn't hurt every now and then I suppose... But after that Hop Venom is gone, Notorious goes on right behind it, $16.64 +tax.

Prufrockstar and jrnyc like this.
  34. Your selling Growler fills of Notorious for 16 bucks?! Do you want people to die?

35. Well... Not die. But if we're talking price per oz, which people tend to be so fond of on this site. When I run Hop Venom for $8.96, your actually getting more % alcohol, at a cheaper price per ounce(75% the alcohol as Notorious at just over half the cost). So I guess that's even more dangerous.

36. Are we talking 64 ounces? Cause this seems crazy.

37. Yessir.

TheeWalrusHunter likes this.
  38. dphi

dphi Aficionado (105) Oregon Apr 14, 2013

There's at least one place in the Portland area that does $10 full growler fills of Notorious and Hop Venom when they get them, only on certain days of the week though.

TheeWalrusHunter likes this.
  39. 39th street?