1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hop Wallop.... Where have you been?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GardenWaters, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Got a call today from my bottle shop..... the Hop Wallop I requested finally came in. They were having a hard time getting this brew for some reason, despite having HeadWaters PA, Golden Monkey, Prima Pils, Storm King and Hop Devil constantly available. This has gotta be one of the juiciest DIPA's I've ever had. I also like the fact that it's bottle conditioned, because I plan on storing a few of these for a sunny day.

2. For some reason, I find Hop Wallop to be better with a little age on it.

Fresh, it has a slight dish soap vibe to it. Aged about 6 months, it goes from slightly soapy to delicately grapefruity.

3. I don't have a problem finding it around here; either in bombers or 6 packs. Then again it is a local brewery for me.

4. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

I live in FL and my liquor store down the road usually always has a 6 pack. Love that beer

5. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

This is on my to get list. Can't wait to try it.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  6. So quick question, I am always hesitant to buy Hop Wallop with more then a few months on it. I know it has a year shelf life, but being a DIPA I always thought that was a little long. So any of you that have had it with more then a few months on it, How does it taste? Can it really be good up to a year?

7. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

I just got some a week before expiration and it is still pretty dang wallopy

JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  8. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

ThisWangsChung seems to like it better at 6 months. Save one if you can for this summer.

9. Star80

Star80 Savant (290) Illinois Apr 14, 2005

Great beer, can hang with any DIPA's out there!

10. bman_85

bman_85 Savant (305) Wisconsin Sep 10, 2012

Bought one the other day off the singles shelf. One drink and down the drain it went. Not sure of the age on it but won't buy again unless I know it is extremely fresh

Lipsntoes and Beerdudenumberone like this.
  11. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

It can be good up to a year, just not as bitter as when its is fresh. Victory uses a high-end dual pre-evacuation bottling line that removes more oxygen and gives them about double the shelf life compared to a regular bottling line. So Hop Wallop has a shelf life of a year rather than 6 mos.

12. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Good idea, in many places, buying singles off the shelf can be a crap shoot. Often the bottle is old and has been sitting out for quite a while.

13. It's been sitting on shelves in NY collecting dust for quite some time now. Pass!

dar482, headyhopzhead and Lipsntoes like this.
  14. bman_85

bman_85 Savant (305) Wisconsin Sep 10, 2012

Risky but only out 1.50. Better than 10.00 for a sixer. Tasted somewhat like a heineken

15. You don't know where it's been, so don't put it in your mouth. Send it to me instead. I'll dispose of it safely.

16. I work at a store that hasnt gotten it in in quite a while. I'll ask the salesman for the Victory distributor whats up and report back with anything i hear.

17. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Sorry, but I've not been able to appreciate anything much from Victory. No Hop Wallop will be found in my house.

18. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

Where have you been? To quote Fat Bastard from Austin Powers "In my belly!".

19. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2010

Love Victory, good solid brewery. But am opposite on Hop Wallop. Bought a case in PA, brought it home, drank 2 sixers fairly quickly, and LOVED the stuff. The other two sixers sat in storage about 6 months, and were not the same at all. Taste flattened out to me, and lost some of the character. I will look for it, but will not cellar it.