1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hophead transition? How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SuperStory, Dec 20, 2012.

1. SuperStory

SuperStory Zealot (90) Rhode Island Jun 18, 2010

Once I became a hophead it has been hard to keep my options open for other styles. I find if a place doesn't have a solid IPA on draft or bottle it's like the air coming out of a balloon! Or if I go to a store that has a great selection I still gravitate toward all the IPAs, DIPA, Imperial IPAs. How do I break the cycle and broaden my horizons...gently?

xxbillay likes this.
  2. Haha. I was the same way at one point. Me being from the west coast where I'm surrounded by beers (especially IPAs) I naturally just needed a break at some point. Luckily there where tons of other great choices to pick from anywhere I went. Not sure if that's the same case in FL....but you guys do have Cigar City which is awesome from what I've had. You might want to read up on food pairings with different styles and give those combos a shot to see what you think at least for fun. Never know what you might find.

Holmes698 likes this.
  3. Why try and break it?
    Embrace your Hopheadedness

xxbillay, AmitC, nUgZ and 7 others like this.
  4. Hey if you love your hops and always crave them, keep on buying them. But if you want to broaden your horizons, maybe force yourself to buy one non-IPA beer every time you go shopping. If your local shop allows singles bottle purchases of small bottles, this should be easy. I'd buy something very different from an IPA, like an RIS...not a pale ale or something too close to an IPA because then you may just wish it had more hops.

5. In short, you dont. You begin trading for all the other good IPAs across the country, and making 12 hour trips up up VT to get heady and HF. Nothing will ever be the same. I need to ween my way off of such good IPAs because I can't afford to trade for them all the time or make trips to VT. That being said I have a 5 day old case of heady I am digging into starting tonight. And the Le cumbre beers will be at my apt early next week.

I found the transition into RIS was easy. I have also always liked saisons, so I can drink a lot of belgians. But no other style compares to IPAs and it will always be my primary go to.

KevinGordon and jglowe77 like this.
  6. Centennial

Centennial Savant (440) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

superstory dude.

7. You must unlearn what you have learned. Do or do not, there is no try.

krl2112 and jglowe77 like this.
  8. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Find other beer geeks you want to impress with your vast knowledge then embrace the intense pressure to drink increasingly harder-to-acquire beers. This will eventually lead you to the realm of small-batch sours. You'll start planning vacations around rubbing elbows with other sour aficionados and brewers so you can drop names like singles at a strip joint.

9. I have the same issue. Only I don't want to change. Love my hops.
    That said, winter is the perfect time to focus on stouts and porters. Get some RISs and enjoy them for what they are. Sours are a great transition because you still get that tongue tingling pucker/bitterness that you love from IPAs. Trying something new is the best part of this hobby. Cheers!

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  10. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (475) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

It will pass, be patient and drink what you like until you get a craving for something different.

UnderJoath and gshak like this.
  11. I was like that when I really got into ipa/dipa's for about 2 years. But, then I decided i really needed to expand my beer portfolio and try other styles again. Then BA beers starting getting big, and they became my new favorite styles, and I got into sours more as well. This to shall pass.

12. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Go for hopped up versions of other beer styles. Gumballhead for example. Maybe ventrure into Black IPAs if you haven't already.

13. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

fredmugs likes this.
  14. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Just move to California. Here, you can get away with drinking nothing but IPAs (and other beers hopped like IPAs) and never run out of beers to drink. However, I love all my beers styles that I've investigated... for the most part. I like to purposely fall out of my comfort zone to see what I've been missing with other styles.

15. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

Don't take baby steps.

Buy a case of this and don't stop drinking it until you're cured...

[​IMG]

16. I'm a huge hop head and I've found the bright, acidic flavors of sours very appealling.

Beerandraiderfan and Revenant like this.
  17. Why not dive into american barleywines?
    Seems like a no brainer.

18. +1 to this...I used to be big into hoppy beers, now, I rarely go near the stuff. Your palate generally changes over time so do your thang...Lastly, if you are sick of the standard IPA's DIPA's etc...Even though there are 8 trillion of them in the overblown market for them, why not some American Barleywines or Imperial Stouts? Might be a great transition...

19. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

He already buys DIPA's and IIPA's. AKA: American Barleywine fetuses ;)

20. I don't see the problem

Beerandraiderfan and jrnyc like this.
  21. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Seriously, just stop buying IPAs for a while. Though, it might be your personality to obsess things, so dive into something completely different, like Belgians or dare I say it, lagers.

Has anyone here tried The Shed's IPA? It's an English style IPA and it is wickedly delicious. Even with 4 months on it tastes like orange marmalade on a stone cracker. Brilliant, and seriously under-valued

22. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

start down the road of sours and BA stouts like i did. i now have the opposite problem. i'm hopped out. unless it's a truly world-class IPA (and there are like ten), i pass.

23. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

The beauty and the problem of living in the time that we do is there are so many new breweries popping into existence every day, and so even though you may want to try another style, you'll never feel like you've "finished" in the IPA category. However, after a time, you'll find yourself going to shops and only picking up one or two brews when you intended to buy many more. Simply to appease your taste buds, that's the time to consider branching out. But start slow. Find the imperial versions of many other styles like stouts and red ales.

24. A. First and formost drink what you like. I dont really like Sours or BA Beers, therefore I do not waste money on them. Never rule out a style for good though, certain styles may grow on you. I didnt like RIS's at first but now I find them quite enjoyable from time to time.

B. Try different styles. Seasonals are always a decent bet, you know they're fresh and they change every few months. A good spiced winter warmer, weizen in he summer, marzen/pumpkin in the fall are great beers. (insert joke about seasonals coming out too early).

My M.O. is be willing to try anything once and explore all styles, buy more of what you liked, don't buy into hype.

25. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on here before, but I'd try to get into a style that is hoppy but less so than an IPA, to make the transition smoother. I'm thinking along the lines of an American barleywine, which has hop presence but the malt is more pronounced. From there, you could make your way to a pale ale, which has a good balance of hop/malt, then to an english barleywine, which is more malt forward, and then from there, you're on your way to porters and stouts. I hope this helps, as I just made it up, bored at work. Cheers

26. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Lucky bastard with that case; I miss having a fridge full of Heady :(

27. That'll get him close, but this will take him across the finish line:
    [​IMG]

herrburgess and diesel59 like this.
  28. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I had to go hardcore... back to my roots... back to molson golden, lowembrau, etc.. don't get me wrong I still drink ipas often... its just broken up by some old school lager.... stay thirsty my friends.........

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  29. Frig off, beefy!

30. Just buy what you like. What's wrong with that?

31. For me the craving for hops just slowly went away. I still enjoy a good IPA, but for years I was a pure hophead. Eventually it just...goes away. Unfortunately now I can never decide on what to drink!

Northcoast Old Raspy tonight I think.

32. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Having all those hops in ur mouth probably killed every little taste bud u had!!! Everything else will taste like sand now. Lol.

33. I'd say its a lot like the way I've been working on getting myself into the hoppier stuff - just keep drinking until you like it!

In all seriousness, if you're trying to break out of IPAs just start drinking other styles. If there was a particular style that got you into beer (thats not IPA/DIPA) maybe try drinking that again, get yourself back into that.

34. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

sours is the next level. drink a couple black ipa's along the way for fun.

basically, the greatest simplification of the beer advocate palate progression goes something like adjunct lager > guinness / blue moon > fat tire > stouts, then imperial stouts > ipa's, then imperial ipas > sours.

and then you learn that people make every above style but sour, and the whole world goes topsy turvey.....