1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hoppiest Sessionable Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rizalini, Feb 20, 2013.

1. When I'm not sessioning with Palate Wrecker.........

Daisy Cutter all the way.
    dan027 and fmccormi like this.
  2. Victory Headwaters Pale Ale, Hill Farmstead Edward, and White Birch Hop Session are the better hoppy sessionable beers I've had. Edward would definitely be my favorite though
  3. It can be if one isn't working the next day.
  4. CEDAMA

CEDAMA Savant (340) California Aug 5, 2011

susan is the best
  5. CEDAMA

CEDAMA Savant (340) California Aug 5, 2011

susan and alpha session from drakes
  6. Headwaters and Daisy Cutter
    VitoFerrante likes this.
  7. This is an extremely underrated beer. The aroma is incredible, and the flavor is akin to the tropical fruit hoppiness you get from a west coast IPA such as Sculpin (and no, I'm not calling this fresh Sculpin).
  8. Awesome beer.
  9. Peaks Organic Simcoe Spring surprised me.
    SA Noble Pils.
    Inglewood likes this.
  10. I agree completely, also, since we're suggesting a hoppy lager, let me throw out there Sam Adams Double Agent.
    dan027 likes this.
  11. Lagunitas Daytime is great for this purpose. Big hop flavor, low intoxication - I love that beer!
  12. I agree. Susan is an absolute delight. The finish makes me take my next sip pretty much instantly. Ill be up in a month or so. Cheers!
    Horbar likes this.
  13. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

x2
  14. Inglewood

Inglewood Savant (325) Illinois Jan 28, 2013

3 Floyd's Pride & Joy, and Bell's Oarsmen will due the trick. The title did not say IPA it said sessionable ales
  15. Inglewood

And i just noticed that some sissy on here removed my avatar. Your a little bitch!!!
  16. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Susan is the bomb!!! Best IPA evah!!

Personally, I can session the hell out of Heady. Step it up!!
  17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

12 pack PBR+1lb cone hops+french press
    Inglewood and time4lunch like this.
  18. Fresh Bitter American has nice hops and I think abv is in the 4s. If you're at Foothills in NC, Littlefoot is 3.5ish and nice and hoppy.
  19. Hahahahaha. I love pbr with polish horse shoes. POW
  20. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Stone levitation is spectacular
    DrStiffington likes this.
  21. right, but aren't today's newer breeds, especially american C-hops and their hybrids/clones much higher in their AA levels?
  22. SFACRKnight

That's the one with the balls bound by a rope, yeah? That game is dangerous sober!
  23. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

The quote says "contains more hops" no mention of alpha acid or bitterness levels. As such, it's untrue.
    tai4ji2x likes this.
  24. Inglewood

like my new avatar, intollerant liberals
    BeerKangaroo and Dools9 like this.
  25. Thats ladder ball. Im talking bottles on top of a stake amd a frisbie to knock it off....you must try.
  26. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Evil Twin Bikini Beer, that I know of.
  27. SFACRKnight

Ha ha ha. Ladder ball was introduced to me as polish horseshoes, but I think your version deserves the moniker for sure. ;)
  28. Not sessionable at 6.2%, but I could put some Lagunitas New Dogtown Pale's down on a nice day.
  29. Fujii13

Fujii13 Aficionado (240) New York Apr 27, 2011

Lawson's Finest Liquids Three Penny Especiale. I wish Sean would make more of this. 3.5% ABV, tons of hops, super drinkable.
  30. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Daisy Cutter most definately
    Headwaters Pale Ale - no idea on the ABV.
    Burning River - probably over 6%

Finding hoppy stuff here that is low in ABV really doesn't exist here if your looking for sub 5% brews.
  31. lol, there's been quite a few suggestions already...
    dachshunddude86 and beerme411 like this.
  32. If you live in an area that gets Schlafly, their "House in Session" or "Session IPA" as it's been re-named is 4.2% and loaded with Amarillo goodness.
  33. But for a more widely available beer, I'll agree with others that you can't go wrong with Headwaters. A 5% pale brewed with simcoe and citra. Smells and tastes great.
  34. nc41

The suggestions mentioned I can't get here in NC. To go to session able Ale's I'd probably have to pick thru the English exports.
  35. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (500) California Oct 29, 2008

I don't understand the apparent need to use "session" or "sessionable" constantly. People on BA are obsessed with the terms. Can't we just ask for some suggestions for low ABV or easy drinking hoppy beers, or stouts, or whatever the hell we're looking for? The mere mention of session causes pointless arguments, much like the "proper" pronunciation of Pliny.

Like many others, I had never heard of or used the term session before joining BA. I've since read several books about beer and brewing and that included a combined total of less than a page about "session beers," granted I've read very little about British beer culture. Letting go of the rampant misuse of session, or whatever the hell sessionable means, will not leave a gaping hole in your beer lexicon. I promise!

Let's all take the pledge together: #NOSESSION

Edit: No offense OP. Just trying to stop the madness like that short-haired lady in the 90s. I know full well it's likely a lost cause.
    beerme411 and nc41 like this.
  36. nc41

I don't quite get the session beer thing either, just drink one less of whatever and your probably good. Have to say though Daisy Cutter is very good, and Double Daisy Cutter is a monster of bitter in a can.
  37. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (450) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

You mean because it finishes so light you need to take another sip to get some taste out of it? I don't get the Susan love, it just tastes/feels watery to me.
  38. Yea a couple of my buds say the same thing...I dont think its a big heavy ipa by any means. I just tend to enjoy the hop profile alot.
  39. nc41

I really enjoyed the Susan when I was in VT, the Citra hop brews are my favorite even though this one isn't a pure Citra brew, but it dominates. It's an IPA so it will be lighter in body and IMO closely resembles Zombie Dust.
  40. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (430) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Founders All Day IPA and Sam Adams new Double Agent IPL do the job.
    GFG likes this.