1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hoppiest Sessionable Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rizalini, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Easily acquired vote: Lagunitas Daytime, Victory Headwaters.

Local vote: NEBCO Galaxy Pale Ale. 4.4% and just a mindblowing amount of Galaxy hops.

tehzachatak likes this.
  2. HopDevil is borderline sessionable.

3. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (570) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Surprised no one has mentioned some of Toppling Goliath's APA's - Millennium Falcon, PseudoSue, and ZeeLander are all fantastic.

+1 to NEBCO Galaxy, HF Edward, and Lagunitas Daytime

4. Ranbot

Ranbot Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

21st Ammendment's Bitter American is 4.2% ABV and as as much hop flavor as most american pale ales, and even many IPAs. It regularly frequents my fridge.

5. I sure as hell drink it like it is.

Icarus likes this.
  6. NEBCO Galaxy is my #1 - also, Founders Harvest (if I could ever get enough of it in Mass to session it...), DayTime, HF Edward.

I also do like the hoppy pils for this - Prima Pils, Noble Pils (best beer BBC makes).

7. kpland

kpland Aspirant (30) Maine Feb 12, 2013

Herbaceous from Smuttynose. From their short batch series. 4.35% Superhop forward & crisp. Could drink it all day!

8. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Bitter American is one my favorite session IPAs, and as a bonus it comes in cans.

9. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

Anti-Hero IPA by revolution

10. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Firestone Walker Pale 31

11. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Definitely Founders All Day IPA and Sam Adams Double Agent IPL

12. this thread itself has actually been relatively devoid of debate over the term(s). the OP made a smart choice and used session-able.

"drink one less" is not always preferable. you also have to compensate for the diuretic effect of alcohol, especially at higher gravities. the lower ABV the beer, the less water you have to drink. below 4% ABV, beer starts to become hydrating, thus making it a far more socially quaffable beverage - you don't always have to double fist with a glass of water.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  13. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

At 3.8% abv, Drake's Alpha Session is quite hoppy/delicious.

14. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Yep, you really don't get it.

15. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Another vote for Lagunitas Day Time.

16. cincysig

cincysig Savant (350) Massachusetts Sep 15, 2010

I like the Jabby Brau recommendation. Thanks, BlackBelt.
    Row 2, Hill 56 was damn tasty when we were in Santa Rosa for PtY.
    Lawson's Paradise Pale Ale is another option. It's under 5%.

17. To add to this, if we eliminate the terms "session" or more appropriate for US-based websites "sessionable" and simply ask for beers people think are "low abv" or "easy to drink" you'll get a WIDE variety of answers. Heady Topper may be incredibly easy for me to drink, but at 8% that's going to catch up to me. And Flower Power at 7.5% may be "low abv" to me if I regularly drink Russian Imperial stouts at 10%.

Using the term "sessionable" at least narrows the range of beers people suggest.

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  18. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

19. CCB Invasion Pale Ale

20. Carton Brewing's Boat Beer is probably my favorite hoppy session beer. Won't find it in Vegas though.

21. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

If you're in MN, it would be Brau Hopsession or Surly Bitter Brewer. Both are 4%. Hopsession has amazing flavor and aroma for the ABV. I know there is plenty of debate about the price, but unless lower ABV=lower price, I'm not buying it.

22. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Damn, beat me to it. Can't wait for them to start bottling it.

23. cobrakai44

cobrakai44 Disciple (50) Illinois Oct 31, 2009

Gumballhead is not quite an IPA either, but at 4.5% it is one of the better balances between taste and being able to have more than 2.

24. I recently had Coronado's Wet Willie (~4.5% "XPA") and it was amazing...by far the best Coronado beer I've had.

25. Hefewiseman

Hefewiseman Savant (355) Florida Sep 6, 2011

DFH 60 Minute or Troegs Hopback are good ones.

26. Definitely Hoppy Birthday by Alpine.

27. Hoppy Birthday