1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hoppin Frog Gangster Frog IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by riemster, Mar 29, 2013.

1. riemster

riemster Advocate (595) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

I'm excited!

2. LiquidCucumber

LiquidCucumber Savant (305) Ohio Dec 18, 2009

I will grab a bottle when it first comes out. Unfortunately Hoppin Frog forgot to bottle date, so I don't want risk the $$ if it remains rotating only to get a bad bottle.

Bonis and SpunkyHopslammer like this.
  3. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

I'm going to head to the brewery next Saturday to snag a few bottles. Usually Hoppin Frog beers are "BOOM! in your face, over the top", curious to see what they do with Citra hops (one of my favorite hops).

BobSacamano12 likes this.
  4. I am a big fan of Hoppin Frog (Boris) and will buy this if and when it comes to Chicago because I know it is fresh. I have to say though that after my last couple Hoppin Frog IPA purchases they were stale and drain pours. Which was the final straw for me and buying undated IPA time sensitive beers.

5. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Sounds awesome. Glad to see more ohio breweries adopting west coast style ipas. But like everyone has said already "no bottle date" is going to scare me away if its rotated.

6. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

7. Can't wait.... DORIS has been a rockstar.

8. Sounds good. I love their pumpkin, Christmas, and Boris beers.

9. riemster

Some of the Hoppin Frog labels look awful, but this one looks awesome. Hopefully I get to visit the brewery during the release on Friday. Sounds fun.

10. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I most likely will buy one bottle, but $8 for a 22oz IPA? I love HF but their prices suck donkey dick.

11. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

will try to grab a bottle of this when it comes out. hoppin' frog are unproven for me hoppy pale ale-wise, but BORIS/DORIS/BA BORIS are some of my favorite beers. BA naked evil no joke either.

12. Will this be distributed along normal channels?

13. riemster

I believe so. I'll be at the brewery on Friday and ask. Also, I'll probably drink it that day as well :]

RblWthACoz likes this.
  14. Looking forward to trying this...

60% of the time, its fresh 100% of the time

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  15. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

ISO: THIS!

16. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (420) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

When you find out repost what you find out I've liked some of hoppin frog's stuff and this one sounds good.

17. riemster

Thanks for quoting me. I forgot about this thread. It is being distributed along normal channels. I'm not a HUGE hop guy, but this was a quality IPA. I hope you enjoy it when you get it! I'm actually about to change my profile picture to the Hoppin Frog, Frog... haha.

[​IMG]

18. ffenski

ffenski Aficionado (205) Ohio Apr 24, 2008

I have to admit I stay away from Hoppin Frog because of their cartoonish labels. Not necessarily on purpose, but there are so many other beers on the shelf the attract my attention. This is wrong and I shouldn't let the labels dictate my beer purchases. But it does. I have actually enjoyed the very few Hoppin Frog brews I have had (BORIS and DORIS) but look past them in the stores. The marketing has poisoned me.

19. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (180) Finland Oct 18, 2012

Seems that many hate those labels. Am I only hwo like those?

20. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

I bought a few today but haven't opened one yet. Has anyone else tried it yet...? Opinions?

21. riemster

HF will have a tasting room this summer!!!