1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hoppin Frog - new Karminator Dopplebock

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by BeerVikingSailor, Feb 7, 2013.

1. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Member

Saw this release today; local Akron Hoppin Frog will be releasing a new Karminator (aka owner Fred Karm) Imperial Dopplebock lager in 2 weeks....cool sounding new brew, 9.3% ABV, in their typical bombers starting Friday 2/22....there will also be a special party at Baxter's Bar in downtown Akron the night before (2/21) to celebrate HF recent high rating on RateBeer! Karminator will be tapped there that night as well....sounds like fun!
  2. fritts211

fritts211 Member

I thoght it was Kerminator (aka Kermit the Frog) so now I'm sad... :(

But it sounds good, hitting national distribution?
  3. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Member

Not sure...what I saw did not specify, but I would assume it will be going out through normal distro channels, as one of their regular releases.....if I find out more, will post
  4. riemster

riemster Member

Absolutely loved this beer. I only live 25 minutes away from the brewery. I attended the release event in Akron, OH and found my new favorite bar at the same time.

A few weeks after the release I went to the brewery to pick up some. Thank god I went when I did because they only had 2 cases left. They released it through their normal distribution channels, but they will only be making it once a year. The employees of Hoppin Frog are great people and stayed open an extra 15 minutes to allow me to buy some beer before the weekend.

If any one else is a Hoppin Frog fan like myself, I found out their next batch of Naked Evil won't be released until roughly mid-late 2014.
    darksunshaman likes this.
  5. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Member

Great...another overpriced bomber to pass up as I browse the local stores.
    phooky, DrDemento456 and fredmugs like this.
  6. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Member

I'd really like to try one of these beers one day as I see them all the time, but they are THE most expensive bombers on the shelf. I just can't pull the trigger. Are they that outragiously priced everywhere? and if so, why?
  7. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Member

Not sure why they are so expensive. I have had a few of their offerings and for the money, I will gladly buy others. I am sure some BAs buy their product but I mostly see their bottles sitting on shelves dusty as hell.
  8. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Member

Looking forward to grabbing one of these (despite their prices)....but, um...did you say no BANE this year?!?
  9. fredmugs

fredmugs Member

No kidding. I've only had BORIS and loved it but can't see paying double digits to try something else.
  10. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Member

What do y'all pay for HF bombers? I think I remember back in IL paying $7-8 for their 'regular' stuff and around $12 or so for the 'special edition' stuff...not cheap, but not insane either really.
    riemster likes this.
  11. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Member

The Karminator was $9.99.

BA BORIS - $14.99
    Hop Damn Triple IPA - $15.99

You usually save two bucks if you are able to buy them from the brewery but not possible for a lot of people.
  12. NooseJustice

NooseJustice Member

they're completely overpriced. i'll buy a B.O.R.I.S. or D.O.R.I.S. every now and then if i made enough money s'ing d's that day but $20 a bomber is steep. $8 - $10 for most of their every day stuff is ridiculous
  13. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Member

Cheapest - probably 12-14. Up to in the 30's. BY FAR the most expensive on average on the shelf in Pensacola. Combine that with the awful cheesy label and just above average reviews, and it's been a no go for me.

Just wondering why it's so expensive. That's all.
  14. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Member

Agreed. Not saying that they don't make quality stuff but Jesus, we are not talking Russian River here...again, too many other better priced, quality options out there.
    fredmugs likes this.
  15. riemster

riemster Member

From my experience in the Akron/Canton area, Hoppin Frog beers are purchased like hot cakes. At least my favorite brews from them are.

I think the BORIS price is fine, but I also love oatmeal stouts. I don't know how some of their beers could be in the 30's in Florida. Their BANE is in the teens when purchased on site. I think I payed 18.99 last year. 30 bucks is outrageous, but I also don't believe that. As for the Karminator, the 9.99 price tag was pretty reasonable.

Keep in mind, this thread was about Karminator and not to complain about HF prices :]

Yep. I made my own assumptions on a release date, but I was told for a fact there would be no new BANE batch in 2013.
    RDMII likes this.
  16. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Member

Hop Dam = biggest rip off of all-time IMO.
  17. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Member

Noooooooooo......

Worth the $20 price tag IMO.
  18. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Member

I consider this beer one of the most in-your-face hop bombs out there. Good stuff!
  19. ddedhed

ddedhed Member

$20 for B.O.R.I.S and D.O.R.I.S? That's not what my local shop charges. $8.99 and $10.99.
  20. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

I cannot tell you how much I love this brew.
    Thankfully, I have 5 bottles in the basement.
  21. riemster

riemster Member

Sadly, I only have 2 bottles of Naked Evil. 1 white cap and 1 black cap. I plan on having my white cap when the new batch is released in 2014.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  22. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Member

I found bombers of there Christmas ale at a Giant eagle about a month ago. I gladly pay the 6 bucks for it and it held up well.

If their normal bombers were this reasonably priced I would get them too.
  23. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Member

Overpriced bomber, nothin new. How bout some reasonably priced 4 packs.
  24. darksunshaman

darksunshaman Member

would love to see Hoppin Frog release some 4 packs. Picked up a bomber of the Manalishi today.....wasn't as good as I remember.......but....memory was already "clouded" by the time I cracked it.
  25. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Member

Mind sharing which bottle shop you are referring to?
  26. darksunshaman

darksunshaman Member

I can get B.O.R.I.S. for way less than $20 at my local Meijers man. Would love to find the triple IPA somewhere though
  27. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Member

Again, not questioning the quality as I thought this was a very good beer. Got it for Christmas a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Then I went to a bottle shop to get another and WTF...$15.99? No thanks...
  28. darksunshaman

darksunshaman Member

I want to say I saw it for less than 10 at Meijers if you are interested. The Meijers I usually stop at on my way home from work usually only has B.O.R.I.S. and the Hoppin' to Heaven IPA. The IPA is around $8 and the B.O.R.I.S. is for around $9
  29. ddedhed

ddedhed Member

30. Bonis

Bonis Member

I wouldn't pay those prices either, but pretty much all of their stuff is better than just above average (think Hop Heathen, BORIS Royale, Naked Evil, Cafe Silk, Black & Tan just for example). I have never tasted a Hoppin Frog beer that I didn't like, and I can't say that about many breweries. BORIS for example is one of the best Oatmeal RIS's out there, and at $8.99 (for me), that isn't bad at all for a bomber. On the other hand, I know some of their basic stuff like IPA and Porter are $6.99 for a bomber, and I'm not just down to pay that much for a basic style of beer when I can get a sixer of Anchor Porter or Founders Porter for $9-$11 or Two Hearted for $10. As someone else said, Hop Damn was an all out hop assault and one of the most interesting and insanely awesome IPAs I have ever tasted... but then again it better be the shit for $16.

I see where you all are coming from, but give them a break. They are still relatively small as a brewery (10 employees when I went there a couple years ago) and I am pretty sure they almost exclusively bottle. At least I rarely see their kegs. Four packs would be nice, but I'd also like to see them eliminate certain beers in their lineup to possibly make the price of their best beers come down (to appease all you haters).

As for the thread, I am very excited to try their doppelbock. One of my favorite styles and I think it's the first lager they have done. Always willing to pick up a new HF beer!
  31. VladTepes

VladTepes Member

Hmm..yeah. Hoppin Frog is great brewery for sure. But they have brewed a couple of misses too. Like their Belgian style DIPA. it is bad beer. Also Hop Heathen are way overrated and didnt like hop juice that much eather.

But then, BORIS, DORIS, BA BORIS, Silk Porter, Cafe version, Frosted Frog, Manalishi, Hop Dam, Hop Heaven ant those collobarate brews with European are really good all.

They have also brewed Oktoberfestbeer, it is also lager. Quite nice brew for its style IMO.
  32. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Member

Didn't mean to come off harsh, and you've even convinced me to give them a try.
  33. deuce9259

deuce9259 Member

Anyone know why this beer might not have a profile? Saw it on the shelf today so I picked one up because I thought it was brewery only.
  34. BB1313

BB1313 Member

Nobody has reviewed it yet.. you can be the first..
  35. deuce9259

deuce9259 Member

Damn my sinuses. I'll need to round up someone to catch all the sweet aromas since my nose is no good. Oh well...at least I'll know if I should go buy the last two bottles. When I talked to the brewer for HF he said it would be a small yearly release.
  36. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Member

Grabbed one and cracked it tonight. Can't say I'm an experienced dopplebock drinker but damn if it wasn't tasty. Big, smooth, full of sweet maltiness. I thoroughly enjoyed it to the end. $9.99 seemed worth it after finishing.
  37. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Member

i was pissed when I saw it was coming out after I left Akron.
  38. VladTepes

VladTepes Member

Have anybody else noticed, that Hoppin Frog has released many new one's lately? Way more than before.
  39. deuce9259

deuce9259 Member

Ya I got mine for 9.99 too. Prolly going down tonight.
    This is the first "new" beer I've seen from them for a while, besides the Gangster IPA. Can't say that I've been following closely enough to know for sure.
  40. VladTepes

VladTepes Member

Last summer and after it:
    Frogs Hops to Ameger
    Cafe Silk Porter
    Oktoberfest Froggy Style
    BA Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin
    Super-Charged Saison IPA
    BA Outta Kilter
    Sweet Evil BBW Belgian-style Barley Wine-style Ale
    Hopped-Up Goose Juise Rye IPA
    Hop Heathen Black Ale

And those two you mentioned. (Plus new BA version of Frosted Frog.)

Those are more than in 2010, 2011 and winter-spring 2012 together.