1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hoppy Lagers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JEdmund, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JEdmund

JEdmund Savant (465) Kansas Oct 23, 2006

I hope hoppy lagers become a bigger trend this year. I know Sam Adams is coming out with one, not to mention how delicious their Noble Pils is. Anyone remember Avery's 17th anniversary ale, the dry hopped black lager? I'd love seeing something like that on the shelves again.

Who's with me!?!?
  2. Just more lagers in general would be fine with me. Hoppy ones have their place (Southern Tier's Krampus comes to mind).
  3. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Well Jack's Abby out of Massachusetts has their Hoponius Union which is far and above any other hoppy lagers. If you can gain access to their beers it'll be a treat for you. They only make lagers and they add hops and barrel age them.
  4. dawatts

dawatts Savant (285) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

There was Jack's Abbey Kiwi Rising and then I died a happy man. All lagers at Jack's Abbey.
  5. dawatts

dawatts Savant (285) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

Look for their Kiwi Rising. You wont be disappointed.
    Jnorton00 likes this.
  6. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I enjoy the hell out of My Antonia....
  7. Haven't met a Jack's Abbey I didn't like.
    Jnorton00 likes this.
  8. JEdmund

Haven't heard of Jack's Abbey before. Sounds like I'm missing out! How far do they distribute? I'm in Kansas, so Im' doubtful we'll see them any time soon.
  9. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

They've only been open since 2011. So right now they're only distributing to Massachusetts. I'd suggest trying to make some trades with people. It'll definitely be worth it.
  10. Humulus Lager is brilliant!
  11. cpz28

cpz28 Aficionado (195) Indiana Dec 31, 2007

Avery Average Joe Pilsner is really nice and hoppy
    CellarGimp and FarmerTed like this.
  12. Totally agree. More lagers for sure!

Krampus is an excellent brew, the best ST has to offer in my opinion.
    omniscientcause likes this.
  13. Personally, I dig the burgeoning IPL style.
  14. I think when it comes to hoppy lagers the discussion begins and ends with Jack's Abby. We are very lucky here in Mass. They are a bargain too - usually in the $3-5 range for 500ml.
    Stockfan42, dynajack1 and Jnorton00 like this.
  15. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Came here to say this, Joe's is a great session beer.
    FarmerTed likes this.
  16. Beerpharmer

Beerpharmer Zealot (95) New Jersey Apr 22, 2010

Shmaltz Brewing/Coney Island makes an IPA style lager. Sword Swallower. Excellent brew
  17. JEdmund

Good call (and reminder)! Need to pick that up again.
    FarmerTed likes this.
  18. JEdmund

Never tried that before. Will have to look for it. Thanks!
  19. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Schell Emerald Rye. Drinks like an IPA!
    icefisherman likes this.
  20. Victory Prima Pils
    Troegs Sunshine Pils
    GoldenWort, dungledauf and Timmush like this.
  21. Stigs

Stigs Advocate (595) Pennsylvania Jun 3, 2005

Victory/Fat Heads collaboration United is insanely hoppy (wet-hopped pilsner) for those lucky enough to come across some. It is delciious.
    Cazlo likes this.
  22. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Firestone Pivo Pils will be in bottles soon! We've had a couple kegs come through the bar already and it's a fantastic hoppy pils that still manages to taste fairly traditional.
    herrburgess and JEdmund like this.
  23. MikeB20

MikeB20 Aficionado (160) Delaware Aug 30, 2009

I dig My Antonia as well, I didn't go into it expecting much but ending up really liking it, a great summer beer.
  24. I would like to see US brewers brew more hoppier lagers with German noble hops (or US varieties that are similar in profile) instead of the wannabe IPA lagers that are gaining in popularity (I don't really see the point in them, just drink/make ipa if that's what you really want).

I would love to Sierra Nevada replace one of its lower selling regulars (stout?) with either a beer like Glissade or that "imperial" pilsner that came out in last year's beer camp 12 pack.
  25. I didn't care for either Krampus or My Antonia. Both were a mess IMO.

Hands down, the best hoppy lager I ever tasted was Coronado Hoppy Lager. Upon looking on BA,they don't even list it, so it was a real short run on it. Damn great hoppy lager. It sticks in my brain.

Runner ups are Brooklyn Lager, Elliot Ness and of course Boston Lager.
    spry likes this.
  26. craftybudman

craftybudman Aspirant (30) Florida Aug 16, 2012

Widmer Brothers is introducing a hoppy lager to their Rotator series this coming summer.
  27. A new brewery just opened up in Queens, NY, called Singlecut Beersmiths, that focuses primarily on hoppy lagers. I've only tried one or two of their beers, but they've been great.

My favorite, though, was the Abita S.O.S., a self-proclaimed, "India Weizen-Pils". It was a pretty bad-ass beer.
  28. JEdmund

I agree. Well, sort of. My first preference is to have hopped up lagers using Noble hops. But I'm all for trying a lager with a unique hop choice.

And I loved that pils Sierra Nevada did (Schticke?)! It was my favorite of the group. And I believe it used New Zealand hops.
  29. Handle

Handle Savant (370) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I received a Voodoo PILZILLA in a trade a couple years back and thought it was phenomenal.
    Archemedies likes this.
  30. I like 'em.
    Bruery's Humulus Lager and Jacks Abbey Hoponious Union are both great. I'd love to see more brews like this, preferably in a 6 pack.
  31. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Jack's Abbey are the kings of hoppy lagers. I never liked lagers until now. Delicious!
    Goldfishman, Stockfan42, Dope and 2 others like this.
  32. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Some people won't be satisfied until every beer is an IPA.
  33. Jack's Abby.
    Stockfan42 likes this.
  34. Then you should buy more non-IPAs so the brewers know that people like them as much.
    SenorHops likes this.
  35. Jack's Abby Hopinous Union and Victory Prima Pils come to mind.
    Stockfan42 likes this.
  36. Olde Hickory's Southern Cross is a New Zealand hopped pilsner. I really wish it were brewed more often as I think it is one of the finest beers they have ever put out.
    Onenote81 likes this.
  37. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

I guess now is as good as any time for my semi-annual plea to SN to bring back Glissade. I'm sorely missing that one. Sierranevadabill, give me some good news!
    fuzzylogic and ThirstyFace like this.
  38. I will again mention what every other person has mentioned jacks abbey, but i will also mention R.I.P.L effect which is their Rye India Pale Lager. i would encourage you to do a trade with someone $30 locals 4 locals and only ask for jacks abbey. you will be amazed.
    Kiwi Rising
    Hoponius Union
    RIPL Effect
    Lashes
    mom and pops (wet hop)
    these are the hoppy ones but i would suggest trying others, saxonator, smoke and dagger, jabby brau, the list goes on. and i have not had a bad beer from them yet. excellent QC as far as their consistency goes
    msween21 likes this.
  39. I hope that day never comes.
  40. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

You really want every beer to be IPA? Not even a tiny bit of room for AK?