1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hoppy Lagers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JEdmund, Jan 16, 2013.

1. No, not even close. Never means, Never. I like diversity in beer. In fact i used to not like hoppy beers, it took me a few years to warm up to them. I appreciate them, but i would never want to give up the various other wonderful non bitter styles either.

2. I'm with you man, I'm ready for something out of the ordinary. We've got pine and grapefruit, lets have something different. Noble hops are great, and probably don't taste like onions when you over do them.

3. For me, a hoppy lager = Northern German style Pilsners.

My favorites are Jever, Sly Fox Pikeland Pils, Sly Fox Standard Pils, Victory Prima Pils, Victory Brewing’s series of Braumeister Pils beer, Troegs Sunshine Pils, Manayunk Bill’s Pils, …..

Cheers!

4. I received one of these gems as an extra. I loved it!

dawatts likes this.
  5. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I'm all for expansion and new styles so I say bring it on. Just last week I bought my first 4 pack of Hoponius Union that was bottled 2 days prior...delicious. Didn't care for the Sam Adams IPL too much, although it's by far the best beer in their spring mix pack

6. Smooth Hoperator by Stoudt's.

7. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

That's a GREAT idea!

8. SenorHops

If I could go in and take the "e" out, I would. I'm very sorry.

9. “I know Sam Adams is coming out with one …”

Do you happen to know the name/specific style of the ‘new’ Sam Adams beer?

Cheers!

10. willbm3

The Sam Adams is called Double Agent India Pale Lager (IPL). It's average at best. Basically tastes like a slightly hoppier Boston Lager

11. SenorHops

A lot of their beers taste simliar to Boston lager. I think they like to use a similar malt bill in a lot of their beers.

12. I have noticed that some of the Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPAs tasted a lot like Boston Lager. I rationalized it as using the same type and amount of crystal malt in the grain bill.

Cheers!

13. SenorHops

Absolutely. All the Latitude 48 beers taste like Boston lager. I'm thinking same Crystal and Munich malt??? I really think all those beers would be better with a more transparent malt bill.

14. From the Sam Adams website for Latitude 48 IPA:

“Malt Varieties: Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend, Caramel 60, and Gambrinus Honey Malt”

My ‘suspect’ is the Caramel 60!

Oh, an easy thing to do. Check the grain bill for Boston Lager!

“Malt Varieties: Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend and Caramel 60.”

Mystery solved!?!o_O

Cheers!

15. SenorHops

I didn't know they made that info available. Interesting. I thought I detected a toasty flavor. What about the "german malts" mentioned about the Latitude 48?

16. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

That means you are open to AK?

17. I have never brewed with Gambrinus Honey Malt (I am a homebrewer). A description of this malt via Midwest Supplies:

‘A very versatile malt. The intense honey-like sweetness this grain imparts makes it a nice addition to almost any beer style. Has no bitter roast flavors, and does not add significantly to color.”

From my readings, brewers typically use Honey Malt as a very small percentage of the grist; something like 2-3%.

I suspect that in Latitude 48 , Honey Malt is used sparingly. I personally did not take note of a “honey-like sweetness”. I sure did perceive a caramel taste which is what the crystal malt Caramel 60 brings to the table.

Cheers!

18. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Please get out of here with that bad idea. That is one of the very few regular stouts available to me.

Kill off Ruthless, that beer is a waste of a seasonal spot

19. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

If you can get your hands on some, Bell's Quinannan Falls is f-ing bomb.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  20. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

They lost my respect my naming their lead off beer after a Stone Temple Pilots guitarist.
    If your theme is music, God, have some taste

Sneers likes this.
  21. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Second Prima Pils and Noble Pils.

Fort George 1811 Lager

22. SenorHops

Forget what I said. I read "german hops" and my brain told me "german malts". It is apparently just 2-row, C-60 and Honey malt. Anyway, I'd probably enjoy the beer more if they dialed back the sweetness.

23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

The Boston Lager that first came out was quite hoppy....not close to what it is today.

24. If U.S. "craft" brewers of lagers would dial back their use of cheap 2-row malt, (typically excessive use of) C-hops, and (unfiltered) house yeasts then I'd probably enjoy their beers more. But apparently I'm in the minority here....

steveh likes this.
  25. Bud Light!

26. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I looked and looked and I couldn't find any. I was quite disappointed.

dawatts likes this.
  27. willbm3

I was just thinking about how much I used to enjoy Sam Adams beers not all too long ago. I basically grew up on the stuff and thought it was a solid craft option. I can't tell if they've gotten worse or if I've just been exposed to so many better beers. Definitely the latter, but I'm feeling like some of the former is true as well

28. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Just cracked this, and it reminded me this thread. This beer is wonderful. Jack's Abby Hoponius Union.
    [​IMG]

JEdmund likes this.
  29. Wolverine State Brewing makes some tasty ones that are only at the taproom.

30. BC has Okanagan Springs Highly Hopped Lager and Parallel 49's Hopperazi. I agree that this will be a trend in 2013

31. Looks like MA BA's are doing their part to carry out the secret plan to send out Hoponius Union in every single trade as an extra.

32. Bell's Quinannan Falls Lager

33. I would have to agree although I'm drinking a Southern Tier 2x!PA and I forgot how good it is...

34. Jaredp

Jaredp Zealot (80) New York Oct 27, 2010

Flying Dog's Atlantic Lager aka Underdog! (Its not too hoppy but still a great beer)

35. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Drink some Jacks Abby so you and I can finally bond over lagers.

Shit's legit.

36. caseyoharaa

caseyoharaa Savant (260) California Nov 15, 2009

Humulus Lager Wet(Citra)

Tasty shit!

37. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (270) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

Wolverine State Brewing does Gulo Gulo which is an India Pale Lager and it does taste good.

38. What?

39. A good Munich Helles or Czech Pills. Augustiner Helles is my favorite.

40. cleeze

cleeze Savant (290) Maine Nov 24, 2008

I can't wait to make the trek down. I was sold at hoponious union

RichD likes this.