1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hoppy Lagers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JEdmund, Jan 16, 2013.

1. That it's not a well-crafted lager? Be honest, when you drink an IPL is the first thing you think, "this a clean beer" or is it "mmm hops"?

And I'm not saying any of these are poorly made beers, but how would I know if hops are the dominating quality?

For example, what's harder to brew, a world class English Bitter, or an American IPA? Maybe if I threw some Citra in my mediocre attempt at an English Bitter all of a sudden people would pay attention to it?

2. cmon Hoppy Lager is an Oxymoron and hopefully fades away id due time .. just a smooth clean malty lager is fine.. Does every beer anymore need to be so Hop Forward that you now grab onto the Lager style as well?

3. when all beers are IPA's, IPL's or IP pick a style and letter to the quote above.

I also hope that day never comes thankfully we have German and Belgan beers

4. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Some really good, hoppy Pilsners (traditionally a hoppy lager) out there. Pacific Northwest citrus pine hops? No, but that's what APA is for. Nothing like some good Saaz or Tetnang hops paired with bready malt while I'm grilling locally-made brats in the back yard.

grantcty likes this.
  5. Man. I love a good IPL. It's all sam adams fault... with their delicious 'Double agent IPL'. And after trying Great lakes 25th anniversary IPL.. I must say. Damn.. we need more of these. I SEE THE LIGHT!

6. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

There are plenty IPAs on shelves that will quench your thirst just as easily.

Don'cha think?