1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Hops combinations

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Tebuken, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Tebuken

Tebuken Savant (345) Argentina Jun 6, 2009

So i would like to hear your experiences regarding hop combinations.I have noticed Cascade + EKG is not a good combination.I have brewed a few beers using this combination with poor results.

Best regards

2. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (860) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I think it's dependent on the style, but:

Amarillo and Citra, are pretty much a match made in heaven. Simcoe mingles with them just as smooth. My favorite combo, period.

Cascade and Centennial are really nice together. Columbus obviously rolls with these 2 guys pretty well, too.

Nugget and Willamette are awesome together as well for darker beers that don't need a million ibus.

barfdiggs likes this.
  3. hiphopj5

hiphopj5 Savant (405) Colorado Jan 29, 2010

I recently brewed an IPA with Simcoe, Centennial, and Columbus that came out really nice.

4. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (305) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Since I like my APA's to have a little earthy and spicy to go with the citrus I like EKG, Amarillo and Willamette. Weird combo but it is awesome- I also like EKG, Cascade and Willamette. So it is in line with that the OP doesn't like!

For IPA's, a whole bunch:
    Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo- a favorite
    Columbus, Centenntial- dank and resinous hop flavor
    Millenium and Galaxy- passionfruit city- with a nice herbal undertone
    Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo and Cascade- a whole mess of citrus and tropical fruits with a super dank finish
    and of course Chinook, Centennial and Cascade- SN Favorite as used in Celebration

I rarely use any of these 1:1- so it depends upon which hop I chose to play the dominant part of the hop profile.

jivex5k likes this.
  5. Tebuken

"I also like EKG, Cascade and Willamette. So it is in line with that the OP doesn't like!"

I love the Combination of Fuggles and EKG,but as i stated before i don´t like Cascades + EKG, maybe our argentine Cascades differ to your US ones

6. Yes, Argentine Cascades is different than US Cascades:

“Argentine Cascade Hop Pellets

These are NOT Cascades! Through translation the name is the same but they are not to be used as an alternative for US Cascade. That being said, these are perfectly fine aroma hops. What we know so far is they are versatile but more of an aroma or finishing hop and can be adequately substituted for Tettnang or Spalt. •3.2% alpha acid”

http://www.homebrewers.com/product/2016A/Argentine-Cascade-Hop-Pellets---1-ounce.html

Cheers!

jlpred55 and Tebuken like this.
  7. I personally like Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade together in an IPA.

8. leedorham

leedorham Champion (845) Washington Apr 27, 2006

To be quite honest, I've yet to brew a beer where I thought the hop combination was a fault. The only way I think hops don't go well together is when one variety is overpowering and masks any character contributed by the other varieties.

I'm interested to hear about situations where homebrewers feel otherwise, but am also interested to hear how exactly you pinned those faults on the hop combination.

9. I reckon my favorite is Simcoe, Chinook, and Centennial.

Orange juice, pine, spice, and a great brightness without being too fruity.

10. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (860) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

My all time favorite is Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra. Just a bright tasting, hop bomb that keeps it a nice clean fruity hop flavor and aroma.

I love Amarillo though. I think it's probably the best tasting in any pales, period. I have a single hop Amarillo on tap at the house right now that is just epic good. It's so bright and juicy, I almost giggled like a little girl when I pulled my first glass.

I might do amarillo and cascade or chinook next. I like the earthy spice in there, but I'm not huge on the pine elements in my IPAs. Enough to balance, not enough to notice.

11. jthahn

jthahn Aficionado (215) Indiana Jun 1, 2009

i'm going way against the grain here looking at the previous posts. i don't like simcoe...at least not in any noticeable quantities. so i say simcoe and anything is a bad combination.
    i'm with everyone else on the amarillo/citra combo.

12. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (485) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

I just did a Columbus/Simcoe "session ipa" that is a dank bomb @ only 4% ABV. Big fan of this combonation when Im in the mood for dank rather than citrus. As far a citrus/tropical goes, I really like to combination of Cascade/Citra and Citra/Amarillo.

I'm really looking forward to my next combo of wet hops off the bine. Centennial/Cascade/Zues/Chinook I am using my grain bill of Daisy Cutter that I am trying to dial in. I think the grassiness of the wet hops will get me close to Daisy Cutter even though the hop combo is all wrong.

13. Tebuken

I really don´t know what happen when these hops are combined.It seems like there might be a weird reaction where hop flavor goes too much citrusy and overpower the malt flavor regardless IBUs added.

14. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (390) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I often go with a Citra/Nugget combo.