1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hops vs. Malt

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Jan 2, 2013.

?

What do you generally like your beers to have more of?

1. Hops

103 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. Malt

75 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I searched around the forums and was sort of wondering why no one did a poll regarding this (if someone did, I couldn't find it).

Do you prefer beers that have more of a hop presence (IPAs and such), or ones that are heavier on malts (Browns and stouts/porters, etc.)?

I'm sure a bunch of people would love to say "BOTH!"... and that includes me. BUT YOU DON'T HAVE THAT OPTION! Personally, I'd choose hoppier beers.
  2. It depends on the style I am thirsty for.
  3. Alextricity

Well yeah, same. But I'm asking one of those hypothetical cliches that are like, "If you were stranded on an island..."
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  4. jgk2255

jgk2255 Aspirant (35) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

Germany makes the best beer in the world and they are often more malt forward.
    rocdoc1 and yemenmocha like this.
  5. Alextricity

I would expect "the older crowd" to prefer maltier beers just because I get the impression that "classic" beer has a maltier taste. Probably not true, but just from experience.
  6. I hate questions like this, kinda oversimplifying beer into two extremes.

I enjoy all styles of beers that showcase both malts, hops and both. My favorite styles are admittedly IPAs / DIPAs so I guess I prefer beers that feature hop flavors.

A important side note. You can't make beer without malts. You can make beer without hops.
    RobertColianni, JxExM and VonZipper like this.
  7. Alextricity

I know this. There's a tasty beer in Detroit that uses Chamomile flowers in place of hops.
  8. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (450) New York Feb 9, 2011

I love hops. I even started putting full cone sorachi ace in my seltzer.
  9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

RicheeD, slim2043 and VonZipper like this.
  10. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Neglecting Yeast! Hefeweizen for example. Overall, I prefer malt forward beer like porters, browns, stouts, scotch & scottish ales, etc. but hop forward beers still blow my fucking mind. For me Malt > Hop > Yeast.
    RicheeD and VonZipper like this.
  11. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (450) New York Feb 9, 2011

Technically, I am stranded on an island. Today I'd probably say hops, but tomorrow it could change. Depends on what I'm in the mood to drink.
  12. SFACRKnight

Seriously, even the most hop forward beers have alot more malt in them than hops, so I'm going malt. Hops can't take away the pain of a long day at my shitty job...
    rfbenavi80, RyanLigeia and slim2043 like this.
  13. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Anyone who answers "Hops" is crazy!

Your typical barrel (31 gallons) of generously hopped craft IPA would have ~2-3 lbs of hops and at least 55-60lbs of malt. If you reduced the malt to be less than the hops, it would be watery, nearly alcohol-free, and just taste like hop water. If you increased the hops to exceed the malt, you would have some kind of crazy hop vegetable stew.

This is a weird poll.
  14. If you're in Germany you are correct. If you are in any other part of the world, than no, it isn't illegal.
  15. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Or just not using hops and saying you did. If you were a small operation nobody would ever know the difference.
  16. GregoryVII

GregoryVII Savant (335) Michigan Jan 30, 2006

No, but you could make "ale" in England back when the contrast between ale and beer was the use of hops. It's all semantics, but I've enjoyed many a tasty hop free ales/beers whatever you would like to call it.
  17. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Well, many of the best German beers are well-balanced with the two ingredients highlighting each other.
    BrownAleMale, dennis3951 and TongoRad like this.
  18. It is not even a law anymore, the EU struck it down, read the History part. They even allow Hopfenextrakt these days.

The original said nothing about yeast.
  19. SFACRKnight

I must be bringing a brutal poker face to the forums today.... My sarcastic remarks have all been taken very seriously.... :confused:
    cyraschris and beastmammoth like this.
  20. GregoryVII

GregoryVII Savant (335) Michigan Jan 30, 2006

I believe the question is about the balance, BU:GU. Obviously more malt is used, but depending on the ratio a beer can definitely be hop forward.
    RicheeD likes this.
  21. The smiley helps define your remarks!
  22. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

It's clearly broken: I can't select both options.
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  23. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

A beer needs to be more on the bitter side for me to enjoy it. It should ideally be malty as well, preferably bready in taste rather than simply sweet, but if it doesn't have that cut-through bitterness I tend to feel as though the beer is too sweet. I don't need a citrusy or grape hop punch though, a European hoppiness of Hallertau varieties combined with an elevated IBU will do just fine.

A tasty German pilsner is one of those styles of beer which never leaves you feeling tired, for better or worse, each sip is as refreshing as the first.
  24. Popp24

Popp24 Savant (320) California Nov 5, 2010

Hops all the way! I can't stand an IPA/DIPA that has too much malt; bring on the hopiness. I'm am fine with a balanced IPA but once they start getting to malty they just become to cloying.
  25. Popp24

Popp24 Savant (320) California Nov 5, 2010

I just drink the beer I don't brew so I wasn't aware of that. So the poll would need to be rephrased. That being said I like IPA's that are more hop forward/
  26. Ummmm. Hopheads like hops. Non-hopheads do not like hops.
    Ford and Bitter_Echo like this.
  27. SFACRKnight

Its a forum condom... ;)
  28. There's a German saying that malt is the soul of beer and hops are the spice. I don't like soulless beers (of which there are a very large number in U.S. craft brewing). I prize balance above all.
    rocdoc1, Chinon01, jmw and 2 others like this.
  29. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I will say malts. Only because of barrel aged stouts and english barleywines.

Cheers!
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  30. I thought I remember hearing that you need to add at least a nominal amount of hops in a beer to have it be a 'beer' in the eyes of the law in the US.

Something about DFH and their Sah'Tea.... anyone? anyone?
  31. In the US, to be considered a "malt beverage" under the FAA Act that the TTB administers, it must contain both malt and hops:
    Otherwise, it is still a "beer" under the Internal Revenue Code, but would have to follow FDA labeling requirements. Apparently, most brewers are more comfortable dealing with the TTB (aka "the devil they know") rather than the FDA.

See also http://www.ttb.gov/rulings/2008-3.pdf for more legalese, that ends with:

32. This is like asking "do you prefer the T, or the A, good sir?"
  33. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Both, at different times!
  34. Alextricity

I meant in the flavor. Not the actual amount added to each barrel. Of course an actual larger amount of hops over malt in a barrel would be foul. Should have specified I guess.
  35. If a beer disappoints me it's usually because of a shallow malt profile, so I voted malt, even though I prefer beers of all stripes.
    BrownAleMale, Biffster and Schwantz like this.
  36. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Try making a beer without it.

Better yet, try drinking a beer (even though it wouldn't really be beer) without it -- I bet you'd be surprised how much you don't like it.
  37. I'm not a hop head, but i like hops.
    herrburgess likes this.
  38. malt bombs to the face, please
    BrownAleMale likes this.