1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hops vs. Malt

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Jan 2, 2013.

?

What do you generally like your beers to have more of?

1. Hops

103 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. Malt

75 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. As are many of the best American beers SNPA, Anchor Steam, Brooklyn Lager ect,ect,ect,.

steveh likes this.
  2. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Exactly my thought...if on a desert island ill take A... And malt

rfbenavi80 likes this.
  3. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Tough to vote on this one because it's both sure, but I lean to a more hop-forward beer generally (like, most of the repeaters around here tend to be IPA's and the like). Don't you think that sometimes malt can mask the hops profile, or put the other way, that hops mask characteristics of the malt? So really, maybe the question is this: Do you prefer hop-forward or malt-forward beers?

4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

So what if one were to juice hops and ferment such juice? Hops wine anyone?

5. Malt to the fore, good sir! Malt indeed!

6. Malt all the way. My tastes have changed and matured over the years but I still cannot stand over the top hop bombs. There, I said it, you lovers of IPA!!! I am going to get my ass kicked on this site for saying that lolol

Biffster likes this.
  7. Oh yes, I do, though maybe not in your silly poll. Insert appropriate smiley here.

8. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

Depends on when you ask. I go through phases - long periods when I am all about Belgians, or hops, or malt, or roast. There was a long period when all I wanted was Oktoberfests. I am currently on my fourth (I think) hop phase. Right now, and for the past several months, I can't get enough hops. Ask me in a year, and it will very likely be all about Belgian fruit- and spiciness.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  9. Oktoberfests are good to go no matter what at all times.

10. Let me rephrase: Hopheads crave hops.

11. The correct answer is...YES.

Schwantz likes this.
  12. tgchief

tgchief Savant (305) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

With out the hops it might as well be wine.

13. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

balance...

14. Then you're stuck with malt liquor. Enjoy your Colt 45.

15. I think you're looking a little too far into this BUT you are correct this is stupid lol

16. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

The best brewers know how to make Yeast feces palatable to us humans, by balancing water, malt and hops.

17. seems some of the responses here are apparently made in full sincerity. i weep for humanity. :(

fmccormi likes this.
  18. I go for balance though of course within balanced beers there are those which emphasis one component. I can (and frequently do) go quite happily from a pint of dark mild to a pint of Hophead , this simply visits two opposite sides of the coin.

19. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

I like both but there are some beers that are just way too hoppy for me.

20. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

YAY HOPS >:]

21. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

Without a solid malt backbone, your DIPAs and TrIPAs are just going to taste like medicine.

22. Scott,

You just need to look a bit harder for the soul!;)

One of my favorite West Coast American style IPAs is Firestone Walker Union Jack. Yes, that beer is indeed very hop forward (ergo the West Coast notation) but there is indeed a malt backbone to provide some ‘balance’ to the hops. I fully recognize that you appreciate beers with a greater amount of balance between malt and hops (e.g., a Franconian Kellerbier) but there is indeed a malt presence in Union Jack.

Below is a description of Union Jack from the Firestone Walker website:

“Union Jack abounds with hop aroma and character. In fact this well balanced, west coast IPA is double dry hopped, giving it more and more of the grapefruit, citrus hop aroma and flavor it is known for. Overall it utilizes over four pounds of pacific-northwest hops per barrel.”

Oh and by the way: Happy New Year!

Cheers!

Jack

23. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

*insert litre of lager picture from German beer garden*

24. [​IMG]

...wait. That's a corked and caged bottle of overpriced stout with a look reminiscent of adolescent fantasy role-playing games. Still, malt bombs can be soulless, too, I suppose.

25. I am a hop head first and foremost, but I do enjoy malt-forward also. The hoppiest beers require a malt background or it is undrinkable or at least in my experience. Hop Devil by Victory is my all time favorite and it has great hop flavor while at the same you taste a great malt presence. Fellow hop heads please suggest a hoppy beer to me that disproves this post. No please, I mean it I would very much like to know about it. No sarcasm here.

26. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

I agree partly of there being "soulless" beers in the US. For instance from Samuel Smith Nut Brown I get sherry, leather, oak apricots and mangos. American beers (other than very dark beers like stouts and Imperial Stouts) tend not to provide that complexity of malt. Malt in American beer (again other than stout/IS, etc) tends to just be there; not lending any particular colors.

27. steveh

steveh Advocate (715) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

To me this sounds like bad palate calibration. Any time someone starts singling out "very dark beers" as being "more complex" it tells me they have been drinking too many "very dark beers" and that they need big and bold to be wowed.

You want complexity in a lighter bodied and colored beer, try Capital's Maibock or Blonde Doppelbock. Even Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Goose Island's IPA are pretty complex if you understand what to experience and appreciate.

Complexity (like beer) has many depths and variations, you can't discount for color.

dennis3951 likes this.
  28. Chinon01

There are many complex US beers just not in regard to malt; again outside the realm of dark roasted character beers. Our pale ales, IPA, etc tend to be hop driven. English beers for example are more malt and mineral driven across the board.

29. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Depends on the day, so I'll say both

creepinjeeper likes this.
  30. Funny, somehow I never noticed the beer in that picture before.

31. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I'm not voting because it's an over simplified proposition. Some beers are better with more hops and lighter on malts (IPAs) and many others are just the opposite. I forgot who originally said this but: "hops are the spice, and malt is the soul of beer." Without malt, beer would be cold hop tea.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  32. Wow, since I am discovering favorites in those styles, with more to go, it's tough. If I were stranded on that desert isle TODAY, I would have to pick hops. When I open the hatch on that island, I pray that instead of Dharma beer, I find Tasmaninan IPA!;)

33. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

I'll go third route and say I prefer yeasty beers. Esters, bitches.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  34. I like beers that have balance and are extreme in malt and hop profile. The style that exemplifies this best is a real good Imperial Red. If push came to shove and I had to pick, I would definitly lean towards a malt foward beer.

35. steveh

The 2 examples I provided are very balanced between the 2 ingredients -- if you don't allow one or the other to dominate your senses.

36. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

As an older beer drinker(been drinking beer about 40 years now) I usually prefer malty beers, but IPA's can be excellent as well. unfortunately most of the hoppy beers I run across are also high in alcohol which means I drink one or 2 as opposed to drinking 4 or 6 lower alcohol beers like Pilsners, ESB, Porters and most normal stouts.

37. Chinon01

I don't mean balance I mean an interesting malt expression where you pick up a tea, or a biscuity, bready, butteriness for example. Prominent in many English beers.

38. This is a great poll, very interesting and simple enough! Just had a great conversation with the family about what makes a pilsner so special, and what malts are...

39. steveh

I understand, I was responding to what you said about "hop driven," which is pretty prominent in US beers, but not necessarily 100% -- much as so many think.

But yes, those tea and biscuit characters are also prevalent in many US ales, and interestingly enough -- in many of the micros that have been around for a long time; Anchor, Sierra Nevada, even 3 Floyds.

But as previously stated, it doesn't take big alcohol and dark roasted malts to make a beer full of character.