1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hopslam 24.99 A Six-Pack?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Eruspoena, Feb 8, 2013.

1. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Just under $88 a case here. Includes tax and deposit. 2 sixers for me, 1 traded, and one in the works. Both $4$

2. EWR2STL

EWR2STL Disciple (70) Missouri Feb 4, 2013

I'm in st Charles and paid 17 at my favorite brew store.

3. DJ-22

DJ-22 Aficionado (105) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

$24 and I'll bet he sells it. $18 here in Michigan.

MtnBiker likes this.
  4. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Aficionado (170) Oklahoma Jun 28, 2011

That is crazy, although I did pay basically that price after shipping for 2 six packs (we don't get Bell's in my state). I probably wouldn't have purchased it, but it's my girlfriend's favorite, so there ya go. No way though I would be paying that if it was sold locally. They'd be getting a free hopslam from me as I hopped out the door slamming it on my way out of there.

As some have said though, I'm sure they'll sell it. Eventually when it's all gone from other shops around town, they'll still have some. Price gouging...I wouldn't give them any more business.

luwak likes this.
  5. I'd happily pay $25 for a six of Hopslam. It's $6 + tax a bottle here. No six pack discount. $25 a six pack would be a major discount.

6. I passed on 6 packs and cases this year, more then I wanted to spend.

7. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Dude that is crazy! I stopped by Starr's this afternoon (not my fav place) and a guy came in asking the clerk for Hopslam as I was checking out. Clerk seemed clueless and I told him they had singles in the cooler then the other clerk came over and said he could grab a sixer but they were like $23. I just kind of raised my eyebrows at the other customer, who said he still wanted it. I went on about my business with my only slightly over-priced bottle of Gueuze Fond Tradition...

8. evilcatfish

No BA Bigfoot that I know of. Still waiting on BN myself...

9. PaulG

PaulG Aspirant (35) Minnesota Oct 10, 2012

Awfully high, but legal. $16.99 in MN

10. evilcatfish

Wolfbrau?

11. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Is that a LOCAL place?

Chains here are cheaper. BevMo had it for $16.99 and some stores didn't have purchase limits.

12. AZ gets Hopslam? What the...

yemenmocha likes this.
  13. I just paid 18.88 today in NC. Actually paid more for a six pack of SculpIn.

14. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Yes, Arizona has good imported beers from other states & Europe. It's much needed consolation to make up for the local beers. ;)

craft_shannie and OneBeertoRTA like this.
  15. iemailjack

iemailjack Savant (265) Florida Apr 11, 2010

I paid $20 at T.W.M. in South Florida. It went down $3 from last year which was nice!

16. I got 6 six packs this year. 4 at 19.99. 2 at 16.99. I love this beer but at 24.99 I would MAYBE buy one. 16.99 is great considering sculpin was right beside it at the same price. No Price is illegal, though.

17. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (225) Ohio May 22, 2006

Vote with your wallet people! Say no to price gouging!

18. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Hahaha...we must have bought it at the same store. I've never tried it so I paid it just to try it. It's excellent so far (Im halfway through my first bottle) but not sure its worth $26 (with tax) for a sixer.

19. SPLITGRIN

SPLITGRIN Savant (485) Kentucky May 13, 2003

You know I started to bitch when I had to pay $20 a sixer but then stopped and realized that was less then $7 a bomber for a 10% amazing DIPA. Even at $25 thats less then $8.50 per 24oz. Now I know that it used to be $15 a six pack, hell I can remember when you could get it for $12 but I also remember when only a couple hundred people showed up for Dark lord day. My how these times are a changing.

On the flip side we could all band together and not pay it, you know make a stand. Maybe that would lower prices with the whole supply and demand thing... Man this Hopslam is damn good.

Ernest_Hooper and DJ-22 like this.
  20. muletrane

muletrane Savant (420) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2006

I pay $5 a bottle no matter how many I buy :(

Northeast PA'd

21. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (620) Florida May 25, 2012

place in Miami I stop by occasionally sells em' for 27.99 consider yourself lucky.

22. I feel lucky to have only paid $58 for a case of this.

23. It's not illegal but damn it should be!!!! Here in the Twin Cities you can find a 6 pack for as low as $15.99.

24. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (510) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

d
    disagree. Just because suckers exist, it doesn't make being a greedy asshole ethical

chuckstout likes this.
  25. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Wow. I bought a 6 there right when they got it for like 17.99.

26. $19.99 in Council Bluff, IA. I bought 2 without blinking, but it is a luxury.

27. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

I will seek out fresh Odell Myrcenary as very suitable substitute. Sucks as aformentioned (sic) is right on it's heels too. 20+ a sixer, no thanks. Sorry for the all bold:eek:

smutty33 likes this.
  28. a_beckman25

a_beckman25 Savant (330) Michigan Jan 27, 2013

I found it for as low as $13.59 a six pack. Usually 16-18 but 25 seems unethical like mentioned earlier.

29. I've bought a bottle of Hopslam for $7 at a bar before, so I don't think this is too crazy. It equates to a $7.63 bomber price which is a lot better than some of the DIPAs I see in CA. If you don't like the price, don't buy it; it's as simple as that.

30. Thou shall not looketeth the price of Hopslam.
    Thou shall only drinketh it and enjoyeth it. "said God on the 8th day"

31. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Total truth here..That is flat out price gouging

32. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Seriously, places like this need to be reported..They dont deserve to ever have hopslam again..

33. jminch

jminch Savant (400) Ohio Jul 17, 2011

I would do that every time, good choice. I like hopslam, but prefer flower power without even thinking about price, then throw in the money and it's a no brainer.

34. LMT

LMT Savant (330) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I paid $21.99 a sixer. At the time, I thought that was high...but then I did the math.

It equates to $14.67 for a 4-pack...roughly the same price as Duvel. And, if I'm doing the math correctly, it's about $6.72 for a bomber's worth...roughly the same price as Southern Tier Chokolat. (Not that either of these two beers are comparable in style, but they are both currently available and I know their price.)

So, yes the price is high, but as others have stated it's comparable to other currently available brews (although it is pricier than other DIPAs). But, it is a damn good beer!

35. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

$14.99/6 at the grocery store a couple days ago. Still $7 more than I'm willing to pay.

chuckstout likes this.
  36. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

No, I heard of prices ranging from $15.99 to $27.99 (highest for a 6pk). That price is not all that bad.

37. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

Places like that need to be ousted on social media.

38. If you do the math, 24.99 per six-pack is the same as a 24.99 six-pack. However, if you do the conversion its clearly better than 318.47 pesos, AND 2341.06 Japanese yen.

39. Eruspoena

Eruspoena Disciple (60) Missouri Dec 10, 2011

You make a good point. It was just a little shocking to see it that high when everywhere else in town it was $17.

40. In DC and Northern VA it was going anywhere from $19.99 to $29.99 a six pack. It was pretty much gone in a two days no matter the price. I don't know if others have talked about this, but this years version definitely seems off to me. More of a harsh bitter lingering aftertaste and less of that sweet honey taste that used to minimize the alcohol burn. $36 for a case of Nugget Nectar, next year I'll be sticking with NN and skipping HS.