1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hopslam 24.99 A Six-Pack?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Eruspoena, Feb 8, 2013.

1. I'll take my 8 heady toppers for that price. Thanks

2. Not illegal, but totally f'ed.

3. There are so many good brews nowadays that come close to Hopslam, it's just not worth the craziness in some areas. In the DC/Nova area you have to get to the stores the day it hits if you want any and be prepared to be gouged. Average was about $24 a six plus insane 10% tax in DC. Nugget Nectar is much easier to find and every bit as good, Lagunita's Sucks can be had for $35 a case in many places and comes close. I used to get so excited for Hopslam, this year I was not only dissapointed in the beer, I was dissapointed in myself for spending so much money when I should have known better.

Andygirl likes this.
  4. lol. what's with all the "illegal" questions. in most cases, if something was illegal to sell, i'd assume it was illegal to buy as well.

pweis909 likes this.
  5. bobhits

bobhits Savant (465) Kentucky Oct 31, 2006

That's equal to a 7.33 bomber....which make it still one of the best priced beers on the market. As pointed out above me....hopslam or rochefort. An easy no brainer, same price hopslam is still far better. Still sucks the price keeps climbing to the bomber levels.

Ernest_Hooper likes this.
  6. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

What is the MSRP for a sixer of Hopslam?

7. I have seen it for $27.25 a 6 pack. Insane when you consider cases here were going for 55 to 65

8. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

That's true, however the price of bombers is often justified as being higher because you are buying a small volume (22oz vs. 72oz).

9. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

At $24.99, Hopslam is $7.64 a bomber. You've bought shittier beer for more than that.

Ernest_Hooper likes this.
  10. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (365) Michigan May 30, 2010

And that is how it should be, thanks for being a legit store owner. There is one good point about there being a few gougers out there though, they often hold special releases longer than stores with a more fair price. I try to avoid these establishments, but they are occasionally nice to have around.

11. Yeah except its actually not a bomber, its a six-pack. Let us compare it then to other six-packs of like styles.
    Yup...still ridiculously overpriced.

Blanco likes this.
  12. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

I'm pretty sure rape is illegal.

13. mooseo

mooseo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Aug 11, 2008

Can't find it in six packs here in Philly, but bottle shops are selling singles for $5.99 or more. :eek:

14. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (445) California Dec 21, 2011

They could sell 6'ers for $35-40 and my guess is it would still sell out.

15. May as well snort it

16. liane

liane Aspirant (45) Minnesota Jan 2, 2013

$15.99 at Twin Cities Trader Joe's

17. why is it is illegal. It comes down to supply and demand. I paid 9.75 for a 120 and then 30 for a 4 pack at the brewpub.

There are other beers close that cost 8-10 a 6. Make your decision.

I would pay 4.20 a bottle

18. I paid 10 here in NJ

19. Yeah me too.

20. Yes $24.99 sounds outrageous for a six-pack. But funny thing is at $24.99 a six pack, it's $.347 an oz. which translates to $7.63 for a 22 oz. bomber. How many of you out there would pay $7.63 for a Hopslam bomber?
    I thought so.

21. Yeah, but you have to go to the brewery to get them for $3 apiece, correct? If you don't let me know where.

22. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

Damn. Im also from St. Louis. The higher ive seen it out in my neck of the woods is like 17-9 bucks a pack.

23. I actually don't have too big a problem with this. I've paid 25 for a 750 many times and many of those times I wished I could have only had 12oz at a time.

24. A few weeks ago, I paid $16.49 for a six pack at Randall's on Jefferson; limit one per customer.

25. $27 a sixer at a local bottle shop here in PA. I declined, drove down the road a few miles and picked up a sixer of NN and 4 pack of insanity for the same price. Right decision IMHO as both are drinking phenomenally this year.

26. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

The first run in the DC area is a mad house. THen the next batch comes out in late Feb early March and nobody even knows it's in the stores...

still lots of people I know say something is "off" with the latest which begrudges me a "little" from buying it again. BUT no worries it will always be there, and there's plenty of good brews to be had that are available.

Then Wings of Armageddon will be canned and I'll probably forgot about every other DIPA made outside of the District from that point forward...

27. Or a few places in that vicinity. My fortune I guess.

28. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (385) Florida Jan 26, 2012

i think you should send the store a note, expressing your dismay. tied to a friggen brick

29. $4.50 a bottle near me. That's why I got a case for $70 instead.

30. Expensive and Outrageous? Yes
    Gouging or Illegal? No, not even close

Hopslam is not a necessity, it is a luxury item. If you don't want to pay $24.99 a six pack, then just walk past it. If you really want to get it, then pay up. If not someone else will...

teal likes this.
  31. Illegal, no...douchey? Yes. He's going for a 100% markup. Wholesale cost on that beer is about $12.50 a sixer.

32. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Larry Bell supposedly has lots of friends in AZ, so long ago he tried to get Bell's here...We started getting it like three years ago

33. Bernerdawg

Bernerdawg Aficionado (145) Georgia Jul 18, 2011

16.99/sixer in southwest Georgia which, considering I live in the Sahara of beer craftdom, makes my store all the more special.

34. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

last year a bottle shop here was selling it for $29.99 a six...or $9/bottle. Needless to say that douche still has all of them. Great beer but don't pay that price

35. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

I've seen year old Hopslam for 30 dollars at a place in Pittsburgh.

36. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Savant (465) Florida Sep 10, 2012

You could go to a bar and pay 5-9 $ for a craft beer.....

37. $28 here. Bell's can S my D and L my Bs.

38. 17.99 in Southern Missouri , probally coming from the same distributor also. I like this beer , at 17.99 Ill buy it all day long.

jmccullough108 likes this.
  39. Sonofalime

Sonofalime Savant (425) Virginia Oct 11, 2010

That's how much I spent last year on it. Felt robbed but then I drank them and was happy again. Wish it was cheaper though.

40. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

All Day!
    Enjoy.

Cheers