1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hopslam 24.99 A Six-Pack?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Eruspoena, Feb 8, 2013.

1. ediaz

ediaz Savant (335) Florida Nov 23, 2011

In Orlando, Ive seen 20.99 and 23.99... needless to say i passed.

jrnyc and chuckstout like this.
  2. I paid $25 (tax included) in far eastern NC. I guees it beats driving 90 miles to Raleigh (the closest market to get hopslam).

3. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

14.99 - checked tonight. All you could carry too, no restrictions.

4. That has nothing to do with Bells. Their wholesale price is $12.50 a sixer. The store is being a douche and marking it up to $28. So THEY can S, D, L, and B.

flipdog0 likes this.
  5. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I would say 9.99. This years brew was sub par from previous years.

Lipsntoes likes this.
  6. I heard it's because his baseball team does Spring training in AZ and he likes to drink his beer when he's out there watching the games.

luwak likes this.
  7. $16-18 here in Minny. I'm not at liberty to give out cost from the distributor, but $16 is average here, with a 33% markup.

8. If you're in a place where Bells doesn't get regular distribution, I could see a case getting made. Like, Any Firestone Walker product I find here in PIttsburgh I know I'm going to pay like a 50% markup for it but I'm fine with it - my only other option is ordering it from an online store and with shipping and blah blah, I'd rather just pay the extra. But in St. Louis with a Bells product? That's just someone gouging, which isn't illegal, but highly unethical to the point I'd probably not go to that joint any more. There's supply and demand and then there's just bad business practice.

OldhouseRecs likes this.
  9. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

True story...and why Oberon is available there year round. I believe the Spring Training in Arizona has something to do with the creation of Oarsman but I could be wrong.

10. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

It is a high price. While that is some serious douchebaggery, it is not illegal. Plus they will still have no problems selling it.

11. MaxOhle

MaxOhle Savant (365) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Get it for 16.99 at my store

12. I'll take your word for it. I thought it was good but I didn't notice anything particularly special about it. Nothing that would make people go apeshit for sure.

13. Sounds like you should find a new bottle shop.

jrnyc and flipdog0 like this.
  14. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

What makes Hopslam so expensive compared to other DIPAs anyway? What is it that makes it so special?

15. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

It's not worth the 18 bucks I paid.

16. Rogorama

Rogorama Savant (345) Indiana Sep 4, 2012

still better than dropping $35 for each bottle of BA FFF!

17. That's criminal. I've seen the singles done at that, but $42 a six pack? Eff that

jrnyc likes this.
  18. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (500) Texas Feb 21, 2011

This makes it difficult to even trade for Hopslam. After shipping it be like >$30
    "ISO: $17 Hopslam"

19. If they can sell it for $24.99, then that's pretty smart for the seller. Supply and demand, folks. I paid $15.99 for a sixer in NC and I am very happy. I think its excellent this year. Try it on tap if you can find it. Delicious.

20. Lagunitas Sucks is almost as good as Hopslam and only $8.49 a sixer...a much better buy. Just don't let it get too old...the flavor fades.

21. Jason311

Jason311 Aficionado (105) Virginia Dec 18, 2012

It's all about supply and demand. Supply stays roughly the same and the number of markets that Bell's is in now adds to that. If price bothers you, you can always go to a local restaurant and grab a single one for around $6-$7 each instead.

22. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Everyone hypes up beers to everyone they know------>beer blows out of stores.

Next year, shop increases price.

23. Morey

Morey Advocate (530) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

Here in Erie, some stores broke it all down into singles selling it for $6 a bottle. That's $36 a 6pk! They can keep it. There's a reason that I drive over the border into Ohio to buy much of my beer.

24. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

I paid $21 and didn't mind it too much. Yes, it was a few dollars more than most on here are paying. But it's a fantastic beer that only comes out once a year. I'll pay my share to enjoy this year's batch, just as I did last year and will do again the next one. The price is fair enough that I'll buy one six pack and be content.

God knows, I've paid more for beer that I ended up not enjoying nearly as much.

25. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

The beer is barely worth $12 in my opinion. Avoid.

26. $17.99 Here in Indy

27. solo103

solo103 Advocate (510) Florida Apr 8, 2012

Its going for around 19 after tax her in Jacksonville Fl

28. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I can't buy it where I live so I don't feel bad for you

29. menso1981

menso1981 Aspirant (40) Feb 3, 2013

If you like it then it is worth it.
    I wouldnt pay thàt much unless it was a BA beer or a special release

30. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Lol, illegal? Is this a serious question?

31. kendrid

kendrid Aficionado (160) Illinois Jan 31, 2009

I saw it here in the NW Chicago burbs for $22 today. I bought it weeks ago for $17.

The same store had BCBS coffee for $26 a bottle. The have a case of it and probably will for a long time.

32. For $24.99 you're buying $12.99 worth of beer and $12.00 worth of hype and 6 of the coolest caps around. great beer...but not worth the price. I can think if several DIPAs that are the same quality but sell for less than half the price. Southern Tier 2X IPA and Lagunitas Sucks come to mind.

33. Just paid 16 dollars for a six pack in PA. Best deal around and the closest to case price (62 dollars)

Bottled two weeks ago but drinks fantastic.

34. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Exactly my sentiment. Sure, there are some beers of similar quality for less money. And I buy my share of those as well.