1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hopslam in Ky?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by phisigben, Jan 9, 2013.

1. phisigben

phisigben Savant (355) Kentucky Jan 8, 2009

Does anyone know when the Louisville area will start to see Hopslam

2. lilnicky068

lilnicky068 Savant (350) Kentucky Jan 8, 2010

the week after next is what i've heard

3. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

The week of the 21st is when it is supposed to hit Kentucky.

callmeishmALE likes this.
  4. jgagne

jgagne Savant (320) Kentucky Feb 23, 2011

Just landed at kegs across the bridge.

5. drfabulous

drfabulous Savant (260) Kentucky Jul 23, 2005

Bell's says Kentucky is week of 21st.

6. Is that a hoppy beer?

7. lilnicky068

lilnicky068 Savant (350) Kentucky Jan 8, 2010

Nah its one of dem whiskey beers

barleyswine likes this.
  8. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (215) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

It pretty-much has to be, given its name. But it's nicely balanced and not unpleasantly bitter. Despite claims on the web that it's over 100 IBU (bitterness units), I've seen a quote from a Bell's representative that the IBUs are in the upper 60s, and that sounds about right.
    http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/hopslam-clone-137117/index2.html#post1923124

9. Sarcasm is a dish best served chilled.

HopsMatt, tronto and phisigben like this.
  10. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (215) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

As are mixed metaphors, or something like that...

People ask elementary questions enough that I missed the sarcasm. Still, I don't think it warrants its reputation as a hop-bomb.

11. Correct...I've had way hoppier...it starts to get more sweet, similar to DF 120.

12. Pretty decent beer, I'll have a co-worker who lives in KY keep his eyes open for it.

13. It's a TERRIFIC hoppy beer. They make it with a little honey and it gives it a nice savory sweetness. Sometimes good IIPAs can be nearly indistinguishable to me, but I'm fairly confident I could pick Hopslam out of a lineup.

xxcarpxx likes this.
  14. The Keg across the river has it. Bottled on 1-2-13.

15. KYGunner

KYGunner Savant (490) Kentucky Sep 16, 2012

Liquor Barn says they get it Jan 25-28th.

16. i was at the keg in clarksville today. (first time i might add) They were out of hopslam. Said they sold out in about 2 days.

17. antzman

antzman Savant (340) Indiana Feb 14, 2005

Unfortunately, weeble8604 is correct, we (Keg Liquors) sold out of our Hopslam allocation on Friday, 2 days after we received it. There is supposed to be a second release, so we have our fingers crossed that we will be part of it. I would say 75% of our sales were people from Kentucky coming over to get it while it was fresh while they wait for their shipment next week. Sad to say, it went so quick, I was only able to get 2 single of it, but its a very good batch this year. Keep tabs on our website, www.kegliquors.com or our Facebook page (search for Keg Liquors) to see when we will get this back in stock.

brian44556 and tronto like this.
  18. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Just curious how many cases you guys received? Trying to get a vague idea on what we will be getting.

19. Man, I went in there friday night and there must have been over 4 cases sitting on the ground. It is a better batch then last year in my opinion.

20. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Bridge Liquors had some

21. AllanC

AllanC Aficionado (125) Kentucky May 27, 2011

Last year Good Foods Coop in Lexington had a lot of it. Several cases. It sis not last long, though. Always check the less than obvious places as a source for stuff like this.

Lexington Beerworks was supposed to have some today of tomorrow, but posted this morning that their shipment has been delayed for a few days. Wednesday or Thursday expected now.

22. drfabulous

Saw some in Ohio at Jungle Jim's Sunday. Two case limit. Ha. But there was plenty in Lexington last year. I saw some weeks after its initial release at Whole Foods. Nerd that I am, I thought: too old. This year's seems sweeter to me (if possible) and less bitter from the honey (but alcohol strong in nose). Supposed to be in Kentucky this week.

23. Bathos

Bathos Aficionado (120) Kentucky Mar 30, 2008

Chuck's on Three Springs should be getting their allocation on Wednesday. Just asked today.

FYI, they've also got Palate Wrecker bottled on 1/7.

24. AllanC

Lexington Beerworks is tapping a keg at 3 p.m. tomorrow (Tuesday). I think The Beer Trappe will have in on Wednesday. Not sure either will have bottles just yet.

25. AllanC

Hamburg Liquor Barn has Hopslam in bottles. Two six pack limit. $17.99 per six.

26. Was at Hurstbourne Liquor Barn today. They got them today but told me they weren't in the computer system yet. (They had literally just gotten there shipment in). Said they would be available tommorow. 2 six pack limit. Guy said they got like 20 or 25 cases. Don't remember which. Also said the springhurst location got twice as much in.

AllanC likes this.
  27. Chuck's in Bowling Green has a few cases RIGHT NOW. $18.99 or something like that. GO GO GO!!!

28. Save your $$.

29. drfabulous

When you break it down, though, Hopslam is not that expensive. It's more than a six pack of Zombie Dust (unbelievably cheap at $11) or even Two Hearted (about $13). But at $3 a bottle, that's $6 for 24 ounces of beer. Most people don't balk at a $6 bomber (22 ounces) or a $7 750 (25 and change). Even Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid is in the $5-6 range in many markets outside of California, and most of us consider that one of the best bomber deals around. Founders' Imperial Stout is about $2.50 a bottle (not far off the Hopslam price). Is this year's Big Foot in four packs about $3 a bottle? The other side of this argument, though, is that bombers are overpriced (they are better money makers than six packs). So, I get it from that perspective, but not a per ounce perspective. Unless one simply doesn't like Hopslam, so then it would be more of a taste perspective.

30. If the bottles were $1.50 each, I would still make the same comment. It's from a taste perspective. Much better IPAs out there of equal or lesser value. I don't get the dankness which the Bell's employee on beerpulse stated as "if my cat ate my weed and then pissed on a Christmas tree" scent.

Hoppenheimer and tronto like this.
  31. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

personally, this year I went for more of the Palate Wrecker. Hopslam is not bad at all, but when you've been drinking Heady, Headhunter, Zombie Dust, Artic Panzer, etc, etc it doesn't seem to hit the spot like the over the top smell and bitterness of those IPA's.

Hoppenheimer likes this.
  32. drfabulous

Except for Palate Wrecker - which I still haven't seen in Lexington, has anyone? so I haven't had yet - I like ALL of those beers. But I like Hopslam too. None of these, to me, are the same take on the IPA/Double IPA. And that's why I like them. I also like Double Trouble, every Apline I've had, Stone Ruination, etc. I like hops.

tronto likes this.
  33. Anyone know if there is any left in Bowling Green. I am heading up there tomorrow.

34. AllanC

Hopslam went on tap at The Beer Trappe in Lexington earlier this evening. I had a bottle there this afternoon.

BEERchitect likes this.
  35. monkey

monkey Zealot (90) Kentucky Aug 7, 2008

According to Facebook, The Beer Trappe just got some Palate Wrecker in. I don't know who else in town has it.

AllanC likes this.
  36. drfabulous

Saw that. Need to get some. But it doesn't help that I have a ton of beer to get through as well. Who wants to come over?

37. AllanC

AI watched someone buy 3 bombers of Palate Wrecker this evening. At The Beer Trappe.

I have not tried it myself. Hopslam is enough for me.

BEERchitect likes this.
  38. LB on Preston highway has several cases sitting on the floor.

39. LB in Hamburg has some, but I had to literally ask for it because it was stowed behind the counter. Never seen them do that before.

40. BuckTuckian

BuckTuckian Advocate (565) Kentucky Dec 19, 2012

LB Richmond rd has 5-6 cases on the floor and 6-8 in the walk-in cooler yesterday