1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Hopslam Mania" Nearly Ruins a Good Night Out...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jpro, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpro

jpro Savant (355) South Carolina Jun 3, 2009

Imagine this... You're at a small, low key, beer-centric establishment on a Saturday night, enjoying a nice brew or two, when a roving mob of Hopslam fanatics storm in and proceed to order ALL of the bar's supply of the aforementioned DIPA. The already tipsy bunch gets increasingly wrecked throwing back 10% hop nectar like it's going out of style, basically laying slaughter to the bar's usually laid back / pub-like atmosphere.

Anyway - after these guys and gals realized they had extinguished the Hopslam supply, polished off their pints and pretty much laid waste to the place leaving the usual, well-behaved patrons in a slight state of shock and disgust, things went back to normal. Too bad anyone that might like to have (or potentially try for the first time) a Hopslam wouldn't have the opportunity since a pack of drunks came in, hell bent on drinking it all themselves - even going so far as to buy two at a time as a front to buying one for a buddy, only to double fist.

I don't think I've ever seen such a lack of respect for craft beer... Not only were these guys in the bar twice (I'd later find out): to pound Hopslam... go elsewhere for dinner... then come back to finish the Hopslam, they were obviously piss drunk and ridiculously obnoxious - not to mention greedy as hell. Unfortunately the staff at this place was undermanned and just couldn't deal with this crowd - this scene is definitely not the norm, and I'm sure they weren't expecting such shenanigans. In hindsight, maybe it was a blessing that they ran out.

But... such a shame that our enthusiasm for certain beers can lead to such behavior. This experience left me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth (which was certainly not literal, as they had Sculpin on draft), but I'll get over it. I'm sure many of you have unfortunately had similar experiences at bars, beer fests or even retail outlets, too.

As the "on the ground" supporters and representatives of great craft beer, let's not forget to Respect Beer.

muletrane, slim2043, Mgm54 and 3 others like this.
  2. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

This sounds like a typical Saturday night in most bars I hung out in growing up....and that was well before HopSlam was a twinkle in Larry Bell's eye

3. sefus12

sefus12 Savant (285) Kentucky Sep 7, 2006

I can get why you are upset, but unfortunately a drunken heathen's money is worth the same as yours. The bar can always put a limit on how much of a certain beer you can have, but without a limit they are allowed to drink as much as they want. I can't say I'd enjoy having this happen to me, but I know I've missed out on a lot of top beers, some of the time to people that have a pint or three too many before I get there. At the end of the day I can always find something to drink (as you did) and it won't bother me too much. As much as I like it, it's just beer.

4. Better just get used to it. As craft swings more and more mainstream this is exactly what we are all in for plus so much more. Respect unfortunately is not something that I foresee occuring as this hobby picks up steam.

5. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

Sounds like a shitty bar tendering not obeying the whole don't sell to visibly drunk people thing. Cut 'em off, Kick 'em out, Control your bar.

Zach136, MrOH, fox227 and 38 others like this.
  6. We have all been there at some point havent we? I remember drinking Plinys, Parabolas, BA Old Rasputin, and other "rare" beers out of the bottle while roaming the streets of Seattle during my brothers bachlor party. Were we drunk? Hell yeah we were. Did we have a good time? You bet your ass.

These things happen and it's just beer. I agree that being obnoxious at a quiet bar is not cool. But I can't say I've never done it in certain situations. Boys will be boys am I right?

7. That ridiculous. I'm over the Hopslam hype. Beer stores here sold out in 30 mins. evern with 6 pack limits not leaving much chance to those of us who don't get off work till 530. It's a great DIPA, but there are others out that are just as good and you don't have to take a vacation day to chase leads from store to store.

harperman69, Bung and TwelveOunces like this.
  8. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Hah you went out on a Saturday.

9. Well, it's not called Hopsip, now is it?

DanGolfs86, Ranbot, kirkse and 46 others like this.
  10. Perhaps they just really liked Hopslam?

The whole "respect beer" thing has either gone out the window, or will be gone soon, as craft continues to move into the mainstream. Fact is people like to get drunk, they like to be boisterous and have a good time on a Saturday night, and they are increasingly switching to craft beer as their drink of choice. Until your traditional rowdy/party/dive bars start catering to the craft crowd, you're going to continue to see strange bedfellows at your typical sleepy little pub.

11. I've only been bartending part-time for a short while, and I've done this already. It's really not hard to stop serving someone who clearly is drunk. I don't get it.

GallowsThief, Bung and Onizilla like this.
  12. how did one group drink all the hopslam? was it a 100 person group?

13. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

People these days are way too chicken hearted to suffer possibly getting yelled at/causing a scene by cutting off the wrong drunken fool. The best bar tenders are the battle hardened men/women who have been doing it for years (Paying off Law School!! I SWEAR!!) who keep their bar on lock like it should be. God bless their hearts every time a drunk idiot gets tossed and lips off only to catch it worse from the bar tender.

ShanePB and Bung like this.
  14. This is a good question. Unless there was a single torpedo and a group of 20, in which case the beer wasn't going to last long anyway, I'm really not seeing how this played out...

15. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Based on the overexuberance I see on these boards about Hopslam, I'm not surprised. And just because people like craft beer, doesn't mean they have class.

16. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

He never said the keg was full.

17. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Or, by another reading:

A large crowd came into the bar and drank so much Hopslam that the bar ran out of it.

The bar owner was delighted and the bartender left with pockets stuffed with tips.

18. Everyone needs to stop getting bent out of shape because the product sell's well...It's not the beers fault it tastes so damn good, we can blame Larry for that. It also wasn't Bell's that created the hype....I have not seen one single commercial about it anywhere. I guess you could/should blame us for the hype monster we create??? How else does word get out about these releases???

Zach136, chcfan, SenorHops and 4 others like this.
  19. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Hypeslam.

x37x, dannyz, HipsterBrewfus and 6 others like this.
  20. lookrider

lookrider Savant (400) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

So the bar sold out of Hopslam. I bet management was happy. I bet the bartenders were too. How was beer disrespected? Is beer even something deserving of respect? Was anyone hurt? Did any of them start a fight? Doesn't sound like it. I think it would have been an entertaining spectacle enen though it's not the sort of thing I participate in.

21. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I went out for Hopslam takeover night and won a sweeeet Hopslam T-shirt.

DubbelTrubbel and creepinjeeper like this.
  22. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I'd rather be part of the roving pack than the quiet, pinkies out, wine I mean beer snobs sipping in the quiet bar!

23. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Locals sniff the air fearfully as three buses bearing SIGMA CHI SPRING BREAK 2013 banners pull up to Westvleteren Abbey...

24. I stay home during prime time just for these kinds of reasons. I don't like weekend drinkers.

KFBR392 likes this.
  25. Did you get contact info for this pack of marauders?
    I wanna see if they are goin out this saturday.
    Beer drinking, dinner and more beer drinking sounds like a great night out.

RStang13, mdillon86, Brunite and 4 others like this.
  26. I don't think I ever blamed Larry or Bell's for the hype surrounding Hopslam. You're correct, it is us who creates the hype that's why I said that I was done with perpetuating that hype.

powpig2002 likes this.
  27. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

That's assuming the OP's description of the drunken crowd was accurate. Boisterous and rowdy doesn't always equal drunk. (even if it may be a symptom)

mdillon86 likes this.
  28. I don't see what Hopslam really has to do with the negative aspects of this story. There are groups of people who would do basically the same thing but with Bud Lite.

albertq17 and ryhayes like this.
  29. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

Ok, before I comment, is the complaint about them drinking up all the hopslam or because they were rowdy?
    Would it have been just as bad if they were rowdy drinking a keg of Bells Two Hearted?
    Or if they were quiet and drank up all of the Hopslam?
    I just want to make sure what offended you about the situation.

JulianB likes this.
  30. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Fuh CAN eh! (I've been wanting to use that here for quite some time.)

JDizzle likes this.
  31. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

Well, not everyone knows what the other guy has to put up with. Maybe OP has lots in his head, he had a rough week and at home things are not looking good, so he headed out for a beer, in a place where he knew it's always quiet. Then this bunch of people are coming in, knowing well what kind of atmosphere this place has and yet, they are obnoxious etc. I feel for the OP.
    I have it happened to me,more than once, but being on the opposite side. I was with my friends, drinking in our hang out bar, yelling, being tipsy, gulping our beers and doing shots, when a couple of well dressed strangers are coming in, ordering an expensive whiskey and suddenly the owner (good friend, I worked for him at that bar, he stil owes me money) tell us to be quiet.Screw them, if they don't like our behaviour let them go somewhere else, you probably won't see them anymore.
    I guess, what I am trying to say is respect the people around you in the bar and the whole atmosphere that it has.

32. what does that even mean? you're not going to admit that it's a good beer anymore?

33. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Some people think they're having a good time only if they're spoiling someone else's.
    But remember, this is nothing new. "Craft beer" has been mainstream in some parts of the U.S. for decades, centuries elsewhere. And obnoxious drunken rampages have been happening for even longer than that.

KFBR392 likes this.
  34. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

It didn't used to be like this.

Welcome to the new age of craft beer.

Bung and Duff27 like this.
  35. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Bud Light is inifite, though.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  36. The fact is was a Saturday night tells a lot. My local fav bar got a keg of it last Thursday but waited until Monday to tap it. He specifically stated he didn't want it over Super Bowl weekend.

I think some bar owners will have a differing of opinion on this matter but that was just his preference. .

37. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

BA's whine and complain that craft isn't mainstream, say they support the "movement" - whatever that is, craft becomes mainstream, BA's whine and complain.

lulz

38. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Couldn't you just have left and gone home and drank some good beer? You want to drink beer in peace and quiet.

Jesus, sounds like those folks were having a really good time. Maybe they shouldn't have been served, but they were. If you don't like it, you should probably just leave.

39. The establishment sells beer. The obnoxious crowd of which you speak bought beer. Not sure how that makes them greedy. Obnoxious maybe.

40. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

?
    Again.. is the problem that they were drinking Hopslam or being loud?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.