1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Hopslam Mania" Nearly Ruins a Good Night Out...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jpro, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Wrong moral to story.

2. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

So...If that establishment recognizes that you're a regular and they truly appreciate your business, then you should have a word with the manager or owner.

You should have asked the "Hopslammers" if they were going to (insert bar name across town here) for the tapping of (insert name of beer way better than Hopslam here) in 10 minutes.

jmw likes this.
  3. LMT

LMT Savant (330) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Meh. I can't get too bent-out-of-shape about a situation like this.

I mean, it was a bar, wasn't it? I wouln't necessarily expect peace & quiet, and the occasional obnoxious drunk group has been known to frequent them. Romantic restaurant...different story.

Respect beer? I don't think my liver is gonna fall for that line.

mdillon86 and ant880 like this.
  4. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Really surprised at the backlash toward the OP on this one. Sure, everybody's got the expectation of having their own brand of good time on a given night, but this sounds kind of nightmarish to me. I feel for you jpro. Only thing I can think to suggest is to leave the establishment in order to keep from witnessing it, and maybe mentioning to your 'keeper or the owner (in a non-accusatory way) that the crowd had turned away from your liking. Maybe a comment like that from a regular would encourage them to handle the situation differently in future.

KFBR392 likes this.
  5. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Drunks didnt used to do dumb drunk things at bars?

It seems to me that this exact type of thing has been occuring since bars came into existence..the only difference in this example is the particular alcohol being consumed. Is it possible that this was just a group of d'bags getting bombed on HopSlam that, had HopSlam not been available, would have just been getting sloppy by drinking something else? I dont buy into the fact that this is some indictment of where craft beer is heading. It just sounds to me like a typical group of drunk a-holes playing out a scene that has occured countless times

JulianB, BMitch and checktherhyme like this.
  6. Maybe the regular patrons should've tried harder...

7. That I'm not going to hop around from store to store chasing it or call around to track it down (like I did in years past). One less person geeking out about it.

8. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

jmw: people just need to relax about what other people do with their time. Sometimes O'briens, a pub here - is dead. Other times they do a 2 week advance notice PtY release. Whether the bar is packed, dead, noisy, quiet - I have no problem with other people enjoying their life. All too often we get our panties in a bunch and try and "change" what other people do - or block them from having their breed of fun - instead of just minding our business and living/let live. Waah - the bar was noisy.

9. Hear, hear! Such debauchery does not bode well for monocles.

10. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Hate overly hyped beer on tap. Im VERY in control of how much I drink and have never driven drunk. I just hate when I see someone sitting at the local bar drinking 3-4 12oz pours of BCBS or KBS when ive seen it on tap there then driving home.

11. evilc

If you think they are drunk then call 911. At this point, minding your own business isn't the rule as they are potentially harming/killing others.

nanobrew likes this.
  12. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Wait...I did what????

13. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I agree but my point is, how many times does this happen, especially with rare releases? People try to hoard 2 extra pours then they really should be drinking inside their bloodstream just because its "rare".

14. You don't know?

15. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I drank a Coors once...only once...honest...

vivasbeer likes this.
  16. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

If this bar had any common sense they wouldn't serve "piss drunk" people.

17. Can we consider that a Hopslam flash :eek: mob?

Douberd likes this.
  18. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

I'm at a loss to see where in the OP's story that explains how he and his party were prevented from ordering a Hopslam themselves while this Caligula style orgy of broseph behavior was going on.

Friday I stopped by my craft beer bar for a couple of Old Rasputins. They were out. Seems like the jerks drank it all at the beer tasting event on Wednesday. I was pissed till I remembered I was one of those jerks.

I wasn't angry about it. Probably because they were putting Bigfoot on tap...

Just me tho....

ant880, mdillon86, JulianB and 3 others like this.
  19. evilc

Sounds awesome. Take pics if you see one!

bozodogbreath likes this.
  20. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

I get what you're saying bro. I felt the same when I went to pick up some hopslam and the guy working says "we got a couple cases of it yesterday but I guess some guy came in this morning and bought all of em....." it's just plain old douchebaggery either way you slice it. Just because shops and bars allow this bs still doesn't make it ok. Be reasonable, buy your beer but for $%@#sake let some other people enjoy it too. I think it's so messed up when I see pics on here of guys boasting their latest haul of 12 cases of nugget nectar or whatever other hard to get beer they've bankrupted their entire locale of. I mean seriously??

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  21. Hell i wanna be part of one with a DD to boot!;)

22. evilc

Can you list, in detail, the maximum allotments of each beer we are supposed to abide by? Both stores and taps....

There is so much amazing beer out there who gives a shit if you "miss out" on some. Move on to the next.

Brunite, Lare453, BobZ and 4 others like this.
  23. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I do understand the OP being annoyed. I have been in my local, quiet pub before when loud, obnoxious people show up. It does make for an less than enjoyable time if you're used to being able to enjoy a more laid back scene at that particular establishment.

However, if things went down the way the OP says it did, then don't blame the obnoxious people. The bartender has control over who they serve and how much they serve. If they were truly being that rowdy, they should have been asked to leave.

24. Imagine the bar that had the huge rush of drunk people for Budweiser Black Crown. Get 'er done.

25. No, these days you have to be worried about get shot!

LeRose likes this.
  26. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

Ya You would miss the entire point of everything I just said and post some douchy reply. What I was saying is be reasonable and let some other people enjoy limited beers too. Guess I know what kind of guy you are though, probably got 10 cases of hopslam in your closet. Douche.

powpig2002, Manoftyr and KFBR392 like this.
  27. You're out drinking. People drink to get drunk. If you don't want to deal with people having FUN, then go to a formal restaurant. Don't be such a snobby, hipster, beer drinking guy.

(insert off topic rant in 3..2...1...)
    Is everyone forgetting the point that beer is drank to have a good time? to drink it and not cellar it, this is BEER not wine... if you want to be like that, then switch to wine and wine tastings... and try not to get mad at the scene for going "mainstream", how can you get mad at your favorite brewer (and all its people they employ) for selling alot of beer and being successful? ugh. annoying..:rolleyes:

ant880, mdillon86, BMitch and 2 others like this.
  28. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (280) New York May 15, 2011

i would probably stay home if this bothered me.

match1112, Steimie and evilc like this.
  29. evilc

I certainly wouldn't let you enjoy anything if I had the chance Mr. Personal Attacks. If I see you behind me in line, I will buy out the entire store and leave you with Black Crown.

Brunite and Lare453 like this.
  30. evilc

Yep. Going out at night requires tolerance of others. If you don't have it, stay home.

Lare453 likes this.
  31. That's when you pull the fake cop routine. 'Guys, I'm off duty, but I think you've had enough. Maybe call it a night before I have to make a call?" Then it's back to a peaceful night at the bar.

HipsterBrewfus and KFBR392 like this.
  32. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

I dont see a problem with it. What if they came in ans started pounding $30 bottles of wine? Would you have the same reaction? Its just beer! Good Grief!!!

bozodogbreath and evilc like this.
  33. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Right until one of those guys is a cop wants to know why he doesn't know you (what color is the boathouse at Hereford!!??) and you're busted for impersonating a police officer. Guessing your night would go from bad to worse on that deal...

mooseo, KFBR392 and dachshunddude86 like this.
  34. evilc

"It's just beer" should be the motto of the site imo.

35. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

They are probably thinking everyone else at the pub were boring as hell! And that's why they left. :)
    Just never know.

mdillon86 and bozodogbreath like this.
  36. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

if it is a limited beer it is the business's responsibility to put a limit on it. If they don't it is fair game. Does it suck for you? Sure, but that doesn't mean it was wrong of the person. No one is entitled to anything, we just have to abide by the rules of the establishment.

If people are buying 12 cases of NN, I would guess a lot of that is going to be shared, maybe a party, gifts, trades, whatever.

Gosox8787 likes this.
  37. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Yep. Going out at night requires consideration of others. If you don't have it, stay home.

38. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

As someone who hates crowds like this, I don't see what is wrong with them. I personally do not enjoy them and have left places early when stuff like this happens (tour buses at local breweries). However, it is their right to be there, and until the establishments decide to restrict them I will just choose to go home, go some where else, or deal with it.

39. thereal

thereal Aficionado (180) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

If you can't go out and have fun getting wine drunk, BM me when you're in Chicago next. There is no reason to put beer and wine in different FUN ZONES.

On topic, it actually sounds kind of hilarious, and I wish I had witnessed it.

bozodogbreath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.