1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Hopslam Mania" Nearly Ruins a Good Night Out...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jpro, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

Back in the 80's there was this guy who had "weird beer" parties. A six or twelve of weird beer was required to get in. No bud accepted. They were actually quite popular, although the selection is much better now. :cool:
    RobertColianni likes this.
  2. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Someone should write a death metal song about this.
  3. I fully agree with the intent, I just happen to think the content is a little off base.
    Steimie likes this.
  4. Huh, I thought this thread was going to be about the condition of "Hopslam Mania" which is induced by drinking too many Hopslams, also known as "getting Hopslammed"

On a Saturday night it's hard to be too ticked about loud crazy people in a bar getting drunk. I've seen it at most of the good beer establishments I've been to in Chicago. Some of them I tend to avoid going to on Saturdays because I'd rather not deal with the crowds that night.
  5. Manoftyr

Manoftyr Savant (270) New York May 6, 2009

So basically, a regular is sitting at a typically low-key and relaxed bar with a focus on beer trying to enjoy himself when suddenly a loud crowd comes in showing absolutely ZERO consideration to the established atmosphere then annihilate the entire keg of Hopslam all while behaving like a bunch of raging dickbags and according to the majority of people in this thread the OP is somehow the one at fault for getting annoyed with this?

*Sigh*
    x37x, beertunes, --Dom-- and 2 others like this.
  6. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Where is the evidence of them being "raging dickbags"?
    Brunite and dachshunddude86 like this.
  7. Sure it's a bummer if you're a regular there and just looking for a quiet night to have a few brews. But, it's a bar on a Saturday. It happens. It's easy to get super pissed about bar behavior when something goes down in your local watering hole. But imagine if this was a bar you'd never been to, in a city you'd never been to. I would imagine you wouldn't have posted this. As such, expecting different behavior in your hometown can't be expected either. Again, it can be a bummer, but it happens. This is coming from a guy that's been the dude that gets annoyed with the rowdy crowd in "my bar" and that's also been the dude in the rowdy crowd that gets the stink-eye from the townies.
  8. Judgie

Judgie Savant (320) Indiana Nov 21, 2012

The pre-Prohibition rhetoric of this thread is creeping me out. In the immortal words of Rodney King, "can't we all get along?"
    mdillon86 likes this.
  9. Honestly, that is pretty easy, the owner/manager of the bar.

With that said I can see both sides of this as some people have said. Although I do take particular consideration to the idea of a group of people ordering two Hopslams at once and 'double fisting' them. It's really not that ambiguous to see this as rowdy behavior, especially with an 11% beer.I live in Michigan and I still see bars with purchase limits on Hopslam, and higher gravity beers/drinks in general.

But with all that said, I'm all for some rowdiness and revelry, but it's not impossible to stop this kind of thing from happening, and generally a bar shouldn't want it to be. Yes they might sell all of their beer quickly, but it doesn't take a bachelors degree in economics to see that a negative impact on their regular clientele will be worse for their bottom line in the long run.
    Manoftyr likes this.
  10. Manoftyr

Pre-Prohibition Rhetoric?, Oh shut up.
    Steimie likes this.
  11. evilc

I'm going to be double fisting PtY soon, I hope no one is offended. Wait - I don't care!
    mdillon86 and nanobrew like this.
  12. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

he has the right to be annoyed, I would be. However, unless the bar is going to stop those people, and outside of complaining to the bar or leaving, there is not much he can do.

Craft beer is becoming more popular. Upsides are: more breweries, more beer, more bars, more options at bars (even traditional BMC ones), and a more educated population. Downside: limited releases are harder to get, a lot of new comers, crowded bars, long lines, etc.
  13. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

I hate to throw a blanket on this spark but.

Any tender worth his or her weight would have cut off the drunk crowd and suggested a taxi. Puts the whole establishment at risk. Let alone the folks on the street. Slamming 10% may sound like a waste but it's time to control the nut bags.

Make your voice heard. If you do not believe in my above stuff then just tell them they run the risk of chasing away they guys and girls that support them.......

Wait for it...

Even when hopslam is not in town
    Ernest_Hooper and Manoftyr like this.
  14. evilc

Yep. Production will not scale with the rise in popularity. Half the breweries don't even care/want to expand.
  15. Manoftyr

I don't think it necessarily has to be that way though, I think to a certain extent breweries are cashing in on the whole 'hype train' thing and inadvertently or not adding to these downsides and the OPs experience is an example of this and if the rest of this thread is anything to go by this sort of immature behavior is not only welcomed but encouraged by many BAs. To me that all seems like a bigger problem than craft beer's growth in and of itself and a major contributing factor to this kind of nonsense.
  16. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I am still waiting for the answer to this question because he hasnt answered it.
    Is the problem that they were drinking hopslam or that they were loud?
    MrGreengenes2 likes this.
  17. At the end of the day, you were drinking beer at a bar not at your house. Those people have just as much right to order Hopslam as anyone else. Sure it sucks if they were loud, but they were at a bar not a library.
    mdillon86, WYVYRN527 and Steimie like this.
  18. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Next people will be crashing bars for Sucks. Calm down people. It's just a decent beer.
  19. Maybe Boston bars are different than elsewhere, but half of them would immediately go out of business if they ever stopped serving drunk people. If you're awake and standing straight around here, you're getting served 99% of the time, no questions asked. Bars simply don't seem to care about overserving until someone is passed out in their own vomit...
    BostonHops likes this.
  20. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Illinois Jan 3, 2013

I think what OP is getting at is that the average craft beer drinker is starting to change. As craft beer becomes more popular and more readily-available, a wider crowd of people are being brought into the subculture. While this has good and bad consequences, it is what it is. I didn't get really into craft beer until 3 yrs ago, and before that I was slamming BMCs like nobody's business. But craft beer transformed my palate and drinking habits, and I'll be forever grateful. It sucks that with the respectful converts will come the abusers of many high-ABV and easy-drinking craft beers, but it is what it is. Not much to do about it really - at the end of the day, business is business, and drunk douchebag money is still money.

21. Well, i'd know the difference. Considering i live in the 'wine country' of america. 5 minutes from carmel valley. and only 2 hours from Sonoma. So yes, like i said before, going out and getting drunk with your buddies, and wine tasting is two complete different levels of 'fun'.
  22. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Same with North Dakota. Except I'd raise the percentage to 99.999999999999999%
  23. Whimpers

Whimpers Savant (470) New York Dec 17, 2010

that sucks...sucks so much I drank one instead
  24. to be fair though we only get the OP's perspective here, and people have a tendency to exaggerate when recounting such experiences. for all we know he could be a cranky recluse type who considers conversational volume too loud and thus is vastly overplaying how obnoxious the crowd actually was. were they really all over the place - raging dickbags - or were they a bit on the loud side, having a few beers and joking around with one another on a saturday night like most of us do from time to time?
    Ernest_Hooper and BMitch like this.
  25. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I wish they was a "love this post" button instead of just like.

Its a well known fact that Saturday is amature night.
  26. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I can understand why this would be annoying, but is it any different than going to a special release at a brewery in another city or hitting up a bottle shop you never go to just to score a limited release? There have been several times when after finding out about a special keg at a place we don't frequent, my buds and I will fall on the place like a pack of hungry wolves. I'll admit I've got a little defensive when non-regulars come in to my haunts but hey, I see it as a way to meet new friends.

Furthermore, I like to get drunk sometimes and I've been plenty obnoxious in my time. I think we all have been there. Fact is, no matter how much we like to tell ourselves otherwise, if it wasn't for the "pleasant" effects of alcohol nobody would drink it (whether that be beer, wine, whiskey, whatever)
  27. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (565) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

I wonder if they were just young fools who discovered a 10% beer served at a bar as a quick means to get drunk on or whether they truly knew it was a great craft beer sought it out, loved it (and proceeded to get drunk on it)?
    DaKur and Shagator like this.
  28. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (455) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Referring to yourself as 'off duty' is up for interpretation. Never referring to yourself as a cop avoids much of the legal aspect. And based on my experience, crazy beer geek whale hunting groups are loaded with hipster douchebags, not regular guys off shift.
  29. ha, interesting point - if you never specify what you're 'off duty' from, could you potentially still get into legal trouble? (thinking i probably won't try to find out)
  30. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

i can just picture jpro after typing this op up, maniacally laughing and twiddling his fingers before hitting Post New Thread, knowing exactly what will unfold
    Manoftyr likes this.
  31. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Yes. I buy this. In my younger days, I was part of a similar roving band of maniacal marauders. There were about 20-30 of us. We pretended to just be out having a good time. But...our mission was much more subversive. We targeted snobby wine drinking establishments and swooped in nightly to drink all the best wines being poured. We were the few....the proud.....we were the Anti-winites. The Anti-NapaVallyites. We had pure disdain for those unlike us that truly enjoyed wine and the experience of savoring it. We pissed them grape juice fanatics off big time! Then.....we quit that gig and joined the occupy movement.
  32. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

When did getting drunk with your friends in a bar on a Saturday night become a crime? Sure they may have been inconsiderate of other customers but sitting quietly in the corner letting your anger fester until you can come and vent on BA isn't going to change a thing. Maybe the bartender didn't find them to be overly rowdy or was willing to put up with it on a Saturday night but either way they'd likely be more than happy to ask the group to keep it down if they knew other customers were upset.
  33. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

You're so cool.
    match1112 and dachshunddude86 like this.
  34. sounds like they party better than you
  35. This is exactly why I'm always bitching on here. Fucking smacked asses coming out of the woodwork, anymore. I used to go into Quotations at 12:45am after work to grab two beers, knowing that anything that tapped that day or the last few days was still plentiful. Now we got clowns stalking establishments for some big score...but then they smoke two cigarettes before and one after and I know they can't comprehend taste. Fucking hipsters. I hate the recent boom in this craft. Saddest part is that it's people in my age group. Fucking embarrassment.
  36. RESPECT craft beer

because if you don't...... it will cry
    PoopChute69 likes this.
  37. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Not to worry too much. Once the hipsters move totally into craft....there will be plenty of PBR and Blue Moon for the rest of us!
  38. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Savant (275) Iowa Nov 1, 2012

I don't really understand this thread. I don't know that I have ever been to a city bar on a saturday night and not seen over served patrons making a fool of themselves, and I have been "that guy" one time or another. I don't understand how the Hopslam really factors into the equation. Good for them, they love good beer. As for the second crybaby argument in this thread. If their is no limit on how much you can buy....then buy as much as you want! why wouldnt you? its common sense.
  39. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

I don't get mad that there are fat people at McDonalds.

Also... does anyone else fine it creepy that he was paying that much attention to what they were drinking and how they were drinking it?
  40. evilc

Yes! I ignore people who bother me and go on enjoying myself!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.