1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Hopslam Mania" Nearly Ruins a Good Night Out...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jpro, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I just had 2 23oz glasses of Hopslam on tap for $8 each. If I didn't have to finish homework I would have drank the whole keg and been that obnoxious asshole, just because Hopslam is so delicious.

PoopChute69 and IamMe90 like this.
  2. Bushka

Bushka Disciple (65) Michigan May 4, 2012

Sounds like a good night:

-Drink a few Hopslams with friends
    -Get some grub
    -Go drink more Hopslams with friends while a grump at the bar gives you the stink-eye

Pretty sure they were respecting the hell out of that beer.

3. If you're complaining because a group of young people are enjoying themselves in a (most likely) somewhat rowdy manner on a saturday night in an establishment that advertises itself as bar, then you're either way too old to have a valid opinion, or you're a whiny bitch. Pretty much all there is to it...

BladeRunner and Jnorton00 like this.
  4. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

A group of guys went out to the bar on a Saturday night, got drunk, and acted belligerent. I've never seen that before.

What is the world coming to? Oh, the humanity.

5. These roving gangs of beer geeks are becoming a real nuisance !

BKBassist likes this.
  6. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Craft Beer = SERIOUS BUSINESS!!!!

Relax buddy it's only beer. As long as they were enjoying it then who cares?

mdillon86 and PoopChute69 like this.
  7. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Gotta love people complaining about "hipsters" drinking all their craft beer, after all - you were into craft beer before it was cool. Wait......

Not a hipster - old enough to be their father but I find the irony interesting....

8. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Hopslam is ltd and your upset that guys want to drink a few? I don't understand that. If they were obviously dunk and obnoxious they should have been refused further service, end of story. If they were out manned you call the police. The bar's there to sell beer why would they want to limit who's drinking what, even if they wanted to it would be almost impossible. When it kicked they left.

9. It's not really impossible to set a limit on beers. Zwanze Day this year for example had a 1 pour maximum. For something like Hopslam though it would be silly to do such a thing.

10. I'd rather be called this than a "beer snob." or "asshole"

11. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

That was my first thought.

Also, this might be one of the worst threads I've seen yet on this site.

12. The real crime is that a local "6 pack" shop here in Erie, PA charges $6 per bottle for HopSlam! Oh the humanity...

13. If your sign up date ends in 2012 or 2013, your views on this topic are completely useless to the rest of us. You just don't get it. I know I'm no founding father, but I remember working at a brewery at 17 and knowing enough bartenders to get in to the good pubs that really revolutionized the scene. Four, five, and six years ago, bartenders would have literally ignored you.

14. Or we could always go with:
    Beer advocate
    Beer enthusiast
    Craft beer fans
    Etc

Just sayin...

15. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

So the join date on this forum is the barometer now for when a person officially started drinking craft and going to craft bars? Because no one could have possibly consumed craft beer before they were a member here?

16. Im in the "Beer Enthusiast" camp, personally.

17. I feel he might be saying that tongue in cheek, call me crazy

18. After reading through this thread, I have nothing really to add. Both sides have made their point pretty vocal. When you decide to go out on a Saturday night, you should be prepared for the Attack for the Killer Brotatoes. That's why I do my bar drinking early Saturday afternoons or Sundays. It's a much quieter atmosphere. But I feel the underlying tone of this is "They hypemonster created a monster," that's why I drink mostly PBR and Coors now, and drink it in my unfinished, dirty basement

19. I wish this were true. ;)

But back to some of your other points in this thread. I agree, you've got to be prepared to deal with folks that don't act "the way you do" when you're out in a public environment. Everyone should have the right to enjoy themselves, provided they generally follow the rules of the establishment/society.

fishtremble likes this.
  20. You are a sponge who wears pants and rides around on a hamburger bun. Nice try, Spongebob

PoopChute69 likes this.
  21. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Thank God for the pants. Thank. God.

benjaminahudson and PoopChute69 like this.
  22. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (435) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

The most annoying thing I've witnessed at a bar was at Revolution brewery. Not the restaurant, but the actual brewery. I absolutely love that place. I go there to drink with people who are interested in the craft and are friendly to talk to. We went for a tapping of a smoked ba stout (the burt). To my surprise, there were 25-30 year old "girls" attempting to dance on the keg barrels and would NOT stop singing their old college fight songs. Super annoying. Then, when the bar was closing, a couple of them ran over to a palate of beers to snap a quick pic... they managed to knock over an entire stack of beer, breaking several full bottles in the process. :mad:

It is MY opinion that if people want to act like virgin drinkers, you should keep your shenanigans at the college bars... like I did when I was younger. If you're drinking with only the intent of getting drunk, Bud, coors, and miller are your options. Chugging something limited, such as hopslam, is unacceptable behavior and I have no idea why you would pay the premium for it in this situation. You know these guys weren't tasting anything. Probably could have served them honey weiss and they wouldn't know the difference.

Btw, I'm well aware that their money is as good as my money, but it doesn't make it right. Imagine if it was a keg of Cherry Rye or KBS...

23. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Wow. You're really going to hate getting old.

Bushka and match1112 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.