1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hopslam on CNN.com

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Phacoman, Feb 8, 2013.

1. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

The stuff is shit. So overhyped and overpriced. I'm just forewarning everyone to pass this one up if they happen to see it in the shelves. Not worth it at all.

Just keeeeeep walkin'.
  2. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

I couldn't even read the article, to be honest. I mean, it wasn't very "reader friendly".
    PoopChute69 and planbee like this.
  3. joelwlcx

Yeah, I had better get paid to drink that stuff.
  4. FishAndBeer

FishAndBeer Savant (280) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2011

Almost convinced myself to grab a sixer tonight... grabbed some dead guy instead. Good publicity though
  5. Heard that, I can name a lot of ipas I enjoy much more than hopslam, only thing I do give it credit for is the 11% abv is very very well hidden.
    brewsader likes this.
  6. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Rather drink fresh sixpacks of Sculpin. Current one expires middle June. So fresh.
  7. This is a ridiculous statement. There has been much discussion as to whether it is as good as last year, but that doesn't have relevance in my statement. Hopslam is a very tasty beer, to say that it is shit is absurd. Saying it's over-priced...fine...over-hyped...fine...shit...completely untrue.
    hardy008, Neorebel, Prh27 and 13 others like this.
  8. hctap00

hctap00 Aficionado (185) Maryland Nov 2, 2012

Pretty sure we was trollin...hard.
  9. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

No, you're wrong. If he doesn't like Hopslam, that means none of us should, and we're wrong if we do.
  10. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

I'm heading to my garage to smash all my bottles right now, thanks for the heads up everyone I really messed up, I thought it was delicious but I was wrong I guess
  11. joelwlcx

You want me to help you smash them? I promise not to drink any... While you're looking.
    JohnnyMc, Slatetank and FlakyBiscuit like this.
  12. June of 2012 maybe. Not sure if you are joking?
  13. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Lol easy bro. Read my review. It was a "leave it on the shelf so there's more for me" joke. Guess it didn't land.
  14. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

It does go ridiculously fast, but it's a great DIPA and better than many of the other hyped DIPAs out there (also usually easier to get and more reasonably priced than most limited release DIPAs).
  15. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Just hit shelves. So f'ing fresh.

Let there be no doubts...

[​IMG]
  16. BELLS IS COMING TO NEW YORK!!! YEAHHH BUDDY!:D
    Neorebel and fmccormi like this.
  17. oderus666

oderus666 Disciple (50) Michigan Dec 25, 2010

Whoever says hopslam is over hyped needs to be slapped its a must buy
    Neorebel likes this.
  18. Damn. Too bad BP thinks that sculpin is still good 3 months later! Ipa's should have a 6 week best by date, max!
  19. joelwlcx

I had the same reaction when Stone came to Minnesota.
  20. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (375) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

Trolls gonna troll...
    KFBR392 likes this.
  21. It landed just fine.
    klinger, tectactoe and fmccormi like this.
  22. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

How much would a four pack be?
  23. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Vav had a tasting of year old vs. fresh hopslam and surprisingly there were people that couldn't pinpoint which was which. It turns into a honey pale ale, apparently.
  24. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Yes yes yes yes yes. If I'd been drinking anything at the time, I might've done a spit-take when I saw that.

Any idea on when distro will start? I hope this includes upstate, and not just Long Island / NYC / Union's footprint.
  25. And here I thought I was being easy, based on the fact that I took it as a legitimate statement. Problem might have been responding after having just finished two Sucks...
    fmccormi and tectactoe like this.
  26. Awful lot of woosh in this thread.
    tectactoe likes this.
  27. Considering it doesn't exist, somewhere between nothing and a whole lot (for rarity).
  28. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

No shit I'm asking you how much a four pack would be. Not much different then any other four pack
  29. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

No - it landed. Well done!

For those that didn't get it, I suggest watching "Point Break" - it's a fantastic movie! ;)
    tectactoe likes this.
  30. nah, not sure man, sry. but its confirmed. it's going to happen in the near future. so hopefully next time hopslam releases we can just go to the bev store and pick some up!
    fmccormi likes this.
  31. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (730) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

$16 a sixer. I'll let you do the math for the hypothetical four pack.
  32. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Yeaaaah . . . I'm just afraid that when they say they're moving into NY, they mean they signed deals downstate. It can be a looooong time in between inking deals downstate and inking them upstate.
  33. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

Man, I hate IPAs (generally) and I loved Hopslam. So good. Can't compare it to previous years, but maybe it's better IMO because it's not as IPA-ish as usual this time around?
  34. dogfish90

dogfish90 Savant (250) California May 4, 2009

the hype is unbelievable. I called my local crown liquor, whole foods, ABC, and total wine, and they all sold out of 9 cases each the day they got it. i feel like there was one dude buying all of it. I'm in an area that doesn't have an enormous amount of beer centric people. please explain this to me.
    South Florida to be exact, not LA
  35. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

I have never bought a case of craft beer before.
    Providence likes this.
  36. I swear I never texted something like that to my gf about Abyss...
  37. The only thing more over-rated is BCBS. AB-InBev ruined that shit.
    JohnnyMc and Revenant like this.
  38. The CNN guys think Hopslam is rare? They should talk to the Themind about the rarest beers of all which only he has the means and connection to procure: Supplication and Pliny the Elder
    pjeagles and camil1mj like this.
  39. hopslam is a delicious honey infused dipa. i wanted to not fall into the hype and honestly dont remember loving it last year, but after consuming 7 so far this year, ive recognized that it is a top notch beer and considering the money per ounce, there are many beers ive purchased that havent been nearly as worth it as this beer is. this beer doesnt have the best nose, but the way the honey blends with the hops is stellar. this beer gets better as it warms and the last few sips are better than the first , which is unusual for a brew. for something that comes around once a year, it is fun to hunt down and enjoy.