1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hopslam question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by char005, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Afer being fairly disappointed in this years batch, I wondered something about it. Hopslam I know at least used to be bottled conditioned. If it still is, how was I drinking bottles that were three days after the bottling date? As a homebrewer, I know that process takes at least a week, usually two to carb up. Anyone with insight on this? No longer bottle condtioned or ar they dated after bottle conditioning?

2. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Unfotunately I can't sympathize with you because I thought this year's batch was as good as ever. Mostly because I find it hard to compare a beer to a memory of the same beer that I had a year ago.

3. So, it wasn't just me who had this observation? The irony being I thought it was kind of flat, and that added to the drop in hop-a-tude. I passed around some to my guys who have never had it, and they were like, "That is a good malty beer!"

4. drinker36

drinker36 Aficionado (165) Michigan May 19, 2010

I had a bottle last night (bottled on 1/3/13.) It tasted bitter'er and flatter then I remember when compared to last years batch and definitely did not have the sweet honey aftertaste I remember. Maybe the year long build up was the reason for my disappointment. Don't get me wrong either, it was still delicious.

5. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I had some on Weds and I thought it definitely had the sweet honey aftertaste.

6. I didn't have any of last year's batch, but the growler I had this year was amazing!

stafford2 likes this.
  7. I try not to judge beers from past years. Things change, I get fatter, my taste buds change, and most of all I forget. How many things did you like last year that you really like this year? I think I liked Taylor Swift at some point, don't like her now, may like her next year. Maybe I'll like Hopslam next year?

ryhayes likes this.
  8. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (370) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

I contact bells about thIs years batch and they had me send them a bottle to evaluate. I should hear back soon. Great customer service.

9. To me this years Hopslam tastes a lot like Zombie dust with a higher alcohol content. Its still a great beer but I think last years batch tasted better.

10. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I thought it tasted the same. But still worse than last year, of course.

bluejacket74 and tobelerone like this.
  11. It just gets worse year after year. Before long it'll be like Bud Light.

12. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (275) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

Love Hopslam but I have to agree with the OP too. Maybe it's the hype maybe it's the batch, to which I had three different bottling dates and all were underwhelming IMO. I also feel the same with Sucks but I keep buying it because it's real good, to me different from the first year but damn good. On the third hand I had my first Zombie Dust last Tuesday and I can't stop wondering how they got that much aroma and flavor in one bottle, I'm going to wander to Indiana for more

13. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Im sure it was Infected, they changed the recipe, Dont care anymore so it keeps getting worse and worse..

14. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Bottle conditioning does not mean bottle carbonated. Beer can be carbonated in tanks and still bottled on the lees in order to be bottle conditioned as well. Bell's bottle conditions all their ales.

I think we get into far too many discussions about beer being better/worse/different than years past. I think it just leads to many people making mountains out of molehills.

BrettHead, Deltoro, mattafett and 2 others like this.
  15. I tried it a couple of years ago and thought, it's ok.
    Tried it again this year. It is still ok. I won't trade for it again.

16. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (475) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I haven't had this years, being as its not distributed in Texas, but did I read correctly that its only brewed and bottled once a year?

17. Serious hop bite this year. I actually prefer it to last year.

18. Had it for the first time this year; if I didn't know better, I would have thought that it was a malty ale. Come to think of it, I'll try one right now and will get back to you.

19. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

Hopslam was "over the top" a few years ago but with all of the really high quality craft brews and super hoppy creations, it is a bit less unique now. That being said, it is still a very high quality brew. This year represents the style well and is worthy of the praise. A lot of sour grapes out there.

craigo19 likes this.
  20. I've always been underwhelmed by it to be honest. I still have 2 sitting around from last year

21. sponas

sponas Zealot (75) Arizona Jul 27, 2009

I think this year's version is better than last year's but, I have never had a Hopslam that I didn't think was great.

craigo19 likes this.
  22. broodog

broodog Savant (360) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

Can we, as members of this website, make a collective decision to stop bitching about Hopslam? That would be great, thanks, mkay.

23. muletrane

muletrane Savant (420) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2006

Bought a six pack. Tastes great!