1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hopslam

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by dipaguy, Jan 20, 2013.

1. MADPolo

MADPolo Zealot

As of 5pm yesterday the Clearwater, FL Total Wine had at least 10 cases sitting out next to the customer service desk.
  2. shand

shand Member

Since Best Brown is a late fall/early winter seasonal, it's probably bordering on four-five months old right now.
  3. MADPolo

MADPolo Zealot

Also Luekens just announced Hopslam is in stock with a two 6pk per person limit. They claim their stock will be gone by end of day.
  4. brewbetter

brewbetter Member

Word is no black note in southeast FL.
  5. GehenHerzog

GehenHerzog Member

anyone else not as excited about Hopslam with Sucks on the floor at half the price?
  6. brewbetter

brewbetter Member

Yeah, I'll probably pass on a 6-pack due to the price, but I'm bummed about no Black Note. First Orlando gets The Oracle and we don't and now they get Black Note and we don't. I thought Miami-Ft Lauderdale would be a bigger market than Orlando.
  7. Finatic

Finatic Member

Bought a case of Sucks this AM $42.00 and change out the door:)
  8. MADPolo

MADPolo Zealot

I prefer Hopslam to Sucks, BUT not at the $20 a sixer price point. Hell, even though it isn't a DIPA, I'm good with a six pack of Jai Alai year round for $9! Either way, I bought 2 sixer's of Hopslam and I will enjoy them and when it's gone I'll perfectly cool with Sucks, Ruthless Rye and Jai Alai.
    jloomis likes this.
  9. PackieMcHopHead

PackieMcHopHead Member

Several cases of Hopslam dropped Wednesday night at Total Wine in Naples, Fl. Two-six pack per limit.
  10. jdillon334

jdillon334 Member

Not as anxious about getting enough to slowly enjoy. If I can keep fresh Sucks in my fridge year round I'll be happy to pick up a 6 here and there of seasonal/special stuff.
  11. blamethemovies

blamethemovies Member

While not bottles, on the Hopslam front in Orlando, Oblivion Taproom is tapping their keg in about 5 minutes when they open. I'll be there in a bit to get my fill. :D
  12. rholmes

rholmes Member

Got a 6 pack of Hopslam at Clearwater Total Wine today. $19.99/6 pack and there were a few cases left.
  13. cmac1705

cmac1705 Member

Total Wine Pinecrest has 1.5 cases left as of 2 hours ago. One sixer per person. They're expecting another shipment soon.
  14. jloomis

jloomis Member

Yes, TW here is often slim pickings these days, but everywhere here in the SRQ BRD area sold out of Hopslam pretty much on Wed. it really went unbelievably fast this year.Even last year Total Wine held me my regular SO case however, they did not this year (would have been nice to tell me that when you took my special order a month ago or at least call me on Wed.), like the past three years, but this year it was get in fast and get yours. The bright side is there really are so many great hoppy beers to purchase that if we can't spend all are cash on Hopslam, we can still get great beers at a fraction of the price. Actually I am glad I could only get 2 sixers this year (so far, I bet more its in the near future) while it is great my wallet appreciates the scarcity.
  15. kyle182

kyle182 Member

Just picked some up at TW Fort Lauderdale. They still had a few cases left.
  16. chardlogic

chardlogic Member

Any Black Note or word of it coming down?
  17. cmac1705

cmac1705 Member

Honestly, I forgot to ask. One-track-mind at the time. My sincerest.
  18. gothedistance

gothedistance Member

Bell's brews Best Brown multiple times and we reorder multiple times. Next time I sell a case I'll check the date on it, but I don't see ours being anywhere close to being out of date. It's supposed to run until Oberon comes back. We still have a few kegs and cases in stock, probaby not enough to get us to March but close.
  19. ewright

ewright Member

Isn't Oberon year-round as of last year?
  20. zac16125

zac16125 Member

No, Hopslam is twice as good as Sucks.
    Rymar9 likes this.
  21. CCompton

CCompton Member

I'm late to the party here, but does anyone know if Hopslam is completely sold out in upstate SC? Hoping to find some for the game Sunday.
  22. Danny1217

Danny1217 Member

I agree on the Jai Alai. Also, at 7.5% ABV, it is almost a DIPA. I prefer Jai Alai to most of the highly rated IPAs I've drank.
    powpig2002 likes this.
  23. GehenHerzog

GehenHerzog Member

twice as good =/= paying twice as much
  24. shokatan

shokatan Member

Miami (pinecrest) TW has it
  25. blamethemovies

blamethemovies Member

I think that's different per state. Florida and Arizona get Oberon year round due to the climate. Not sure if that's happening else where.
    gothedistance likes this.
  26. ewright

ewright Member

You seem to be right... I just checked Bell's website and it is listed as a seasonal. Found this at All About Beer too...

27. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Member

TW has Hopslam in Newport News, VA. Grabbed a 6 pack last night.
  28. kempshark

kempshark Member

Well, I picked up a six pack of Hopslam a couple of days ago. First time having it for me. Had one last night and one today. Not bad, but definitely a powerful, hoppy brew. I actually prefer DFH 120-Minute. I know 120 is a really polarizing beer. People love it or hate it. Of course it is even more expensive than Hopslam. I do agree however that I would rather stick with Jai Alai since I can get it year round and it only costs me about $8 a six pack. I like Two Hearted and Sculpin, but Jai Alai is way cheaper than either of those too!! Sitting on a decent supply of White Oak Jai Alai right now.
  29. Danny1217

Danny1217 Member

When did they put it on shelves? I completely missed it! :(
  30. shokatan

shokatan Member

I was told on Friday.

I just got a call from Sunset Corners saying they have it but are restricting to only two bottles per person. Wtf They must not have a lot.
  31. samtallica

samtallica Member

I've never been very impressed with Hopslam myself, yet I try it year after year thinking something will change. It's a decent beer, but not worth the $20 price tag. I doubt I'll be grabbing any this year. I definitely enjoy Sucks more, especially at half the price.
    ewright likes this.
  32. Danny1217

Danny1217 Member

Yeah, i called them this morning. Gonna go get some when i get the chance
  33. flipdog0

flipdog0 Member

Drink them side by side, you will then know why hopslam is almost double the price.
    zac16125 likes this.
  34. samtallica

samtallica Member

I've had it side by side with plenty of different double IPAs; some that were more expensive (Pliny) and others that were much cheaper (Nugget Nectar/Hoptimum) and I still find it to be disappointing every time. I realize I'm in the minority here. I just prefer my IPAs to have a little more bite to them. Hopslam just doesn't do it for me at $20 a sixer.
  35. gothedistance

gothedistance Member

At this point- my only guess would be maybe Total Wine has some. It was in stock for 3 days at my Total in Columbia.
  36. barker14

barker14 Member

I don't disagree, but my main issue is finding out how fresh the Sucks is -- if its within a few weeks it's amazing. Theres some at TW Myers Park now and I couldn't decide how fresh it is so I didn't pull the trigger.
  37. samtallica

samtallica Member

I think the case has a bottle date on it, but if not, the first three digits of the bottle code on Lagunitas beers is the day of the year it's bottled on. For example, if the first three digits are 015, then it was bottled on Jan 15.
    Handle likes this.
  38. Danny1217

Danny1217 Member

Sucks just came out a few weeks ago. Trust me, it's fresh.
  39. GehenHerzog

GehenHerzog Member

this x1000

I feel like Hopslam tastes hotter than it does hoppy
    CCompton likes this.