1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Hosting A Beer Tasting

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Leebo, Mar 13, 2013.

1. I'm trying to put together a list for my beer tasting that I plan to host. What size glasses? I dislike plastic, I was thinking 1-2 oz pours in a white wine glass? I plan to have 10-14 people, beer is the main event, food secondary. Most of my guests have some beer experience, but not too much. So, light to dark? 6-8 beers total? I want to try to keep some of the beers geared toward a beginner palate. Thinking about:
    pale ale, sasion, white ale, english and us ipa. Brown ale and maybe a mayflower porter ( english style from MA) . Would put in rodenbach as the last one? Thoughts and opinions please. Maybe a pilsner or Fruit lambic ?

2. I looked around, and ended up going to World Market and getting some small (approx. 2 oz.) glasses that have worked really well for tastings. They were maybe $1.50 or $2.00 each. Palate cleansers are a good idea to have on hand too; some kind of cracker is a good choice, but make sure to get unsalted.

Light to dark is generally a good idea if it's just a general (as opposed to style/profile specific) tasting, but also think about other similarities in flavor profile when selecting the beer styles and ordering. Don't forget to have water for drinking and cleaning glasses.

3. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,190) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

You can use some small tiny brandy snifters for small pours, they work out real well..

[​IMG]

Neutral bread, cracker between beers. A dump bucket.

Order mentioned is fine, depending on what your goal is. There's really no wrong way, but make sure you have fun that's the most important.