1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hosting a Stout Tasting - Food suggestions?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by noslenwerd, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Opening up some pretty heavy beers with some friends in a couple weekends from now (2007 Dark Lord, Hunahpu, Darkness, GIBCS).

Want to have some hors d'oeuvre type food for people to pick at. So far I am going to have chocolate covered potato chips, bourbon chocolate truffles, and a charcuterie board (creamy blue cheese, gouda etc). Anything else that isn't dessert related you would add?

Thanks!

2. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I would stick with the cheese, the issue with those beers (with the exception of Hunahpu which I haven't tried) is that they are quite sweet or heavy.

I would have suggest some sort of grilled meats, but those are far too sweet, or a bit boozy (BCBS) I think to enjoy with such a thing.

Those beers to me are finishing beers, or desserts in themselves. It's a tough call. Try a gaint pot of beef stew, short ribs, or some big long timed cooked piece of meat (like a brisket).

3. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I'm thinking some dried figs and dates might go well with your cheese board. Also, some cold roast beef would be good too.

4. Thanks guys,.. decided i'm doing:

- Chocolate covered potato chips
    - Bourbon chocolate truffles
    - Fig and Blue Cheese on melba toast (or similar)
    - Smoked ribs with Gouda on melba toast (or similar)
    - Pickled Daikon with Raclette on melba toast (or similar)

fortsambo, Henamonster and Hockey_Fan like this.
  5. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

sounds good!

6. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

potatoes!.......... small red skin potatoes, halfed and par boiled till slightly tender.... then strained and put in a bowl drizzle with olive oil and sea salt cracked pepper and rosemary then transfer to a casserole dish and roast @ 400 degrees for 45 mins....... oh yeah............. thats what i'd do....

Hockey_Fan likes this.
  7. Someone turned me onto this with big, sweet RIS beers: Soft blue Cambozola cheese spread on thin Swedish papparkor (ginger cookies.) Was skeptical, but it was great!