1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hosting my 1st Beer tasting - food & logistics help

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Jaybeer13, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Jaybeer13

Jaybeer13 Initiate (20) Virginia Jan 14, 2013

Hi All,

Excited to host my first beer tasting event. About 15 people. I will have a few sours, IPAs but quickly move on to the heavier (>11% ABV) stuff - been aging some for couple of years. Bourbon barrel aged, Coffee and Imperial Stouts (Scaldis Noel, Westy 12, St B Christmas Ale, Black Butte, Gouden Carolus noel, Nogne 0 dark horizon, Samichlaus, Schlafly Imperial stout, JW Lees Harvest ales, Retribution, Evil Twin etc). You get the idea.

- Does the order make sense? Higher ABV stuff later as the evening progresses?
    - Ideas for food pairing (other than cheese, charcuterie, espresso nuts, dark choc brownies)?
    - Logistics - how to keep the beer at the right temperature? Have a separate fridge to keep everything in there and take the beers over time to pace it?
    - Any other creative ideas to make it fun? Meaning how we decide what beer to try next - make it so people get to pick

Thanks in advance - J

2. Hosted one myself last month with some beer lovers and others that well.....lets just say they would pick wine first. I would definitely start out with the higher ABV later. But be careful how many you serve. Too many and you'll be carrying people off to bed in no time.

Or menu sounds pretty good. I would just recommend that if you have a lot that you're wanting others to sample, so make it a filling menu. If you do have stouts, I would highly recommend a cheesecake or sorts. The smooth silky texture of some stouts goes well with that. I had a decadent chocolate cheesecake (from cheesecake fac) paired with Kbs once. People that did not like stouts drooled over it.

It's a lot of fun.....so enjoy!

Jaybeer13 likes this.
  3. You probably want to offer some sort of food that would act as a palate cleanser, such as crackers or pretzels.

Jaybeer13 likes this.
  4. Not sure where you live but if you can keep the bottles outside at a reasonable cool temp that should do fine.
    Great selection of beers there and the progression is how I proceed for my Winter Ale Fests every year.
    I like the cheese and charcuterie also , I usually have something with some ballast also.. A nice roast ,potatoes etc.
    Dont forget cold water bottles /glasses in between , keeping hydrated helps.. especially the day after

5. Make brownies with a stout and have a contest to see who can guess what stout it was.

Jaybeer13 likes this.
  6. It's not a beer tasting if there isn't some form of bacon, bacon wrapped peppers or anything , candied bacon, bacon pizza, bacon brownies.
    Just something that very common with tastings in my area

7. Jaybeer13

Jaybeer13 Initiate (20) Virginia Jan 14, 2013

Thanks a lot everyone! I really appreciate the ideas. I plan on having bacon wrapped dates, sorbet and mustard pretzels as palate cleansers, ribs, vanilla mini cupcakes, figs, mini cheesecakes and brownies in addition to everything else I was planning on. IF you have some good stout brownie recipes, please share. I am in VA so it is pretty cold next week. Putting the beers outside is a brilliant idea to keep them cold - most of these are served at 55 degrees anyway. I have 5 oz sample glasses so folks can taste the beer and then get more of it in their snifter glasses if they so desire. Less wastage that way. I will share lessons learned and tips after the party.