Hot break

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Cmack15, May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cmack15

Cmack15 Pundit (815) Sep 7, 2008 Massachusetts

I recently listened to a podcast where the host and guest both advocated letting your boil go for 10 minutes before your first hop addition. The reason behind the delay was to wait till after the hot break before adding the hops. Any thoughts or opinions on this? I prefer shorter brew days but will add this step if a noticeable difference is detected.

2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

I boil for 90 min, so if I do a hop addition at 60 it's already been boiling for 30 min. I think this will be common for many people.

Were they saying that the hop matter/oils would affect the coagulation of proteins? This is not something I've come across.

3. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Crusader (407) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Just speculation, but maybe the reasoning behind this is to lessen the chance of a boil over when adding hops right at start of boiling? That's what I'm thinking...

ssam and Eriktheipaman like this.
  4. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2010 California

That's the reason I've heard from many brewers.

5. JohnSnowNW

I wondered about that too, but figured this would have been explicitly mentioned in the podcast, and also from the OP. I'd also have expected an "or purchase a larger kettle" as a second option to waiting 10 min.

6. Cmack15

Cmack15 Pundit (815) Sep 7, 2008 Massachusetts

I believe it was from basic brewing and it was a hop experiment one with the guy from the Bells homebrew shop

7. jae

jae Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2010 Washington

I usually wait for the hot break to subside before adding a 60 minute addition. I also am a skimmer.

FATC1TY and herrburgess like this.
  8. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Maven (1,271) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

In general...I budget the boil's first 5" before making the first hop addition.
    This allows time to skim foam from the initial hot break and avoid skimming the foam mit hop.

herrburgess likes this.
  9. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Listening to this now. I did not get any reason other than that is what they do, and I also often let the beak form and the boil settle in. Some say to put a little hops in before the boil, as the hops give some nucleation points and that helps control initial part of the boil. Yes, putting hops in when the break is just starting can be a problem

10. koopa

koopa Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey

What benefit do you believe boiling every batch for 90 minutes has? Trying to hit a certain % of boil off (for flavor benefit) that you don't hit in 60 minutes or something?

11. JohnSnowNW

Combination of DMS removal, and that's where I've dialed in my process.

12. atomeyes

atomeyes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Canada (ON)

depends on the beer i'm brewing. i'll boil anywhere from 60 to 180 min.
    i'm moving into the school of thought where my more complex beer (stouts, quads, belgian strongs) will boil for 120 min.
    an IPA would boil for 60-90 min.
    brett beer will boil for 90-120 min.

13. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Iowa

If any of you brewers add FWH additions, how do you do this? I was under the impression that these additions would be prior to boiling when running off from the mash tun. I have done this method once with my Pseudo Sue clone. Do the FWH additions mean right before the boil?

14. JohnSnowNW

You are doing the FWH correctly.

15. koopa

Thanks for the reply. I definitely know there are reasons to sometimes boil for more than 60 minutes and agree with the ones you mentioned. My question to JohnSnowNW was intended to find out if there was a reason he preferred to (particular benefit he thought he was gaining by) boil ALL batches for 90 minutes. The one that came to my mind was making sure one was driving off enough unwanted compounds (like DMS for example).

FWIW: I was just reading a related section of my brewing school text that suggested that 8% boil off (over the course of the entire boil) is ideal for driving off unwanted compounds. I know some brewers have a lower boil off rate, so extending the boil is a good idea for them in all scenarios for that reason.

16. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

I no longer do a 60 minute bittering addition.
    I only do FWH + a flameout/hopburst now. that FWH gives it such a nice clean, smooth bitterness compared to standard 60 minute adds

Theortiz01 likes this.
  17. mattbk

mattbk Savant (1,099) Dec 12, 2011 New York

I boil all my beers for 90 minutes. I use this as a method of nailing my OG. Usually, I'll set recipes for 60 minute boils, but after boiling for 90 minutes my OG is a bit higher than target. Then I can precisely add back water to nail the OG. This probably affects hop utilization slightly, but not enough to bother me. This serves as a correction factor for any discrepancies in efficiency during the rest of my brew day.

18. TastyAdventure

TastyAdventure Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2012 Kentucky

What are the benefits of skimming?

19. koopa

Yeah but I wouldn't call a technique used to compensate for inaccurate recipe formulation something that is truly benefiting the wort. It's just a process you are using to dial in your OG.

20. mattbk

mattbk Savant (1,099) Dec 12, 2011 New York

Yes, this is true. Although I prefer to call it "process variation" as opposed to "inaccurate recipe formulation". :grinning:

koopa and MrOH like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.