1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hotd. Bourbon Fred 2012.

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by jpbebeau, Jul 6, 2012.

1. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (350) Washington Sep 11, 2011

@hairofthedog: 2012 Bourbon Fred from the Wood is available to go in the tasting room now. 12oz bottles are $12 each, $240 for a case of 24 - 4 case limit

Just saw this on twitter. Anyone want to pick me up a bottle? :)

Spaceloaf likes this.
  2. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

Way to hype it up, man.

djbreezy likes this.
  3. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (350) Washington Sep 11, 2011

I'm in Seattle and immune to hype due to budget cuts. But I wouldn't mind trying one of these someday.

4. boMD

I was just kidding around anyway. Just seeing how many HotD threads going on in NW forum is kind of an indication of how everyone 'round goes crazy over this stuff.

5. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Call me crazy, but I'd love to get in on this myself. Bad timing for me. No plans for Portland until the end of the month for the OBF - sigh - 240 for a case, in a heartbeat.

6. FalconA

FalconA Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 10, 2011

Not crazy at all, myself included sounds like a Seattle HotD mule is in great demand. :p WILL PAY IN BEER

7. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Anyone open a bottle yet? Is this one carbonated?

djbreezy and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  8. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Dont tell the wurst place...

9. boMD

Haven't opened a bottle yet but I have heard from reliable sources that the 2012 batch has an excellent level of carbonation.

djbreezy likes this.
  10. stupac2

Excellent. I'll see if I can con my non-beer-drinking Portland buddy into buying some, otherwise I guess I'll try to trade.

11. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Wonder how long this will last...guessing not until next Friday when I'm actually down there :(

12. With the 4 case limit, I would expect there is quite a bit of it. I'm just hoping it will last a few days so I can get down there.

13. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

Wondering this myself, I can't make it there until next week and I'm hoping they will have some left.

14. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

getting a case now in about 15 minutes

15. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

Oh hell, yeah. I'm going to pick some up during lunch break at work.

16. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Will gladly trade in my completely flat bottles and pay the difference (if truly carbed). Otherwise, I'm probably going to pass on this one.

17. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Try one for me...are they carbed this time?

18. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Sure wish I could pick up a case, will have to settle for a couple bottles. Still, very much looking forward to it.

19. Shmeal

Going to crack one open soon. I'll report back with a photo

20. Shmeal

Carbonation!!

[​IMG]

21. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Image broken....mouth watering....noooooooooo!!!!!

22. Shmeal

Don't know why it isn't working.....

23. stupac2

[​IMG]

That's the picture I got.

If you want my advice, use http://imgur.com instead of imageshack.

24. Shmeal

Which link did you use?

It also reminds me more of maple syrup a bit...

25. stupac2

I fixed that for you. When using the image tag you need to make sure you link to the image, that is, that it ends in .jpg, .png, etc. So you wanted to use this link: http://i.imgur.com/kn5ZE.jpg, instead of http://imgur.com/kn5ZE. Sadly the forum software isn't smart enough to figure that out on its own, although I suppose it would be tricky in general (with imgur it's pretty easy).

In actual news, ISO...

26. Shmeal

Maybe the maple syrup is because my beer is room temp, but the carbonation takes some the edge off of the sweetness from the last batch

27. Any idea from the brewery how long this is expected to last? Will be in town for a couple days of Puckerfest, but dunno if it'll last that long...

28. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Read that tweet but didn't comprehend that it was a new batch. For some reason I was thinking it was last years bottles at a significant markup. Might just need to swing by at noon now that I understand properly. :)

29. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

There's no way to know how long it will last, but if past experience is any indication, Alan typically holds back a number of cases so he can sell it to patrons at the tasting room for a while. So while it's conceivable that you may be too late to obtain some of the beer to go, I'm virtually certain you should still be able to enjoy a bottle in the tasting room.

30. mv945

mv945 Aficionado (135) Washington Jan 26, 2011

Ditto!

31. Maybe I should buy some more and mix them with the non-carbed ones.

hopsbreath and black13 like this.
  32. black13

black13 Savant (395) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

I will be trying this out in the days to come.

33. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

If someone wants to PayPal me $960.00 I'd be more than happy to bring 4 cases back to Seattle when I return on Sunday : )

34. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Do you seriously think they ought to offer such an option? Alan was completely upfront about the carbonation levels in the 2011 batch, and opened up several at the bottle share the night before. I think that any suggestion that he ought to "make it right" is misplaced.

black13, beefandbean22 and boMD like this.
  35. boMD

uhm... I still thought carbonation-free Bourbon Fred was tasty as hell. I have no complaint with the 2011 batch that I have.

[Edit] For $7 a pop (even cheaper with a case discount) I thought it was a worthy deal.

36. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Anyone going down this weekend from the Seattle area? If someone can pick me up a case I can pay some extra dough for your trouble.

37. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

I know some people liked it, I think it sucks. It is on me for taking that risk and I learned my lesson. Still seemed like an appropriate time for a tongue in cheek comment (realize I forgot the wink emoticon, and that the fanboys were lurking and ready to pounce).... Wait... ;-)

We can save the more serious conversation about selling and buying $42 6-packs of unintenionally uncarbonated beer for another time and place.

38. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

Well, honestly after trying it I think it's still a bit too sweet for my tastes. The carbonation is not an issue this time around, but somehow I feel like the balance is still off. The bourbon totally overpowers the base Fred to the point where it's just a subtle background taste.

With that being said, that didn't stop me from buying a bunch. If nothing else, they'll be good fodder for trades considering it's the "good batch."

39. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Completely agree. For $5 and change (case discount) it's the best HotD deal you'll come across. I even liked it better than AftW. Curious if carbonation is going to improve the beer.

grilledsquid and Shmeal like this.