1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Hotd. Bourbon Fred 2012.

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by jpbebeau, Jul 6, 2012.

1. ccrida

ccrida Advocate (535) Oregon May 26, 2006

what am i missing? $240 for a case of 24 = $10/bottle

2. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (735) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

The 2011 release was cheaper. That's what he's referring to.

hopsbreath likes this.
  3. the $5 and change (think it was $140 total for the case) was for last years bourbon fred because of the carbonation issue.

hopsbreath likes this.
  4. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

2 cases purchased for the 2 BA's that messaged me. Not going back for a 3rd time, sorry dudes.

5. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

They're gone by now anyways as I got the second to last case at opening yesterday.

6. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

I must have got the last case then cause I stopped by around 6:45

7. kscaldef

I'm skeptical, as wendy told me they'd sold about half when I was there around 1pm yesterday. It looked like they were only bringing out a few cases at a time, so maybe that's why you thought they were almost gone.

8. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

Yes, this is true. When I picked up my case on Friday they only had three on the floor.

9. ellswrth

ellswrth Savant (355) Oregon Oct 7, 2003

I just bought a case around 6:30 tonight (Sunday 7/8) and the bartender assured me that they'd have it on hand for on-sight consumption for the next year or so. But he also said they were getting near the end of the carry-out cases.

10. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Great news. Thanks to a fellow BA who has some bottles on hold for me and given HotD pricing being very reasonable on-site, I'm looking forward to popping a bottle there next time I'm in the area.

11. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Just opened my bottle (and reviewed it if anyone cares). This is officially my 2nd favorite HotD beer after 2010 Matt. (The latest batch of Adam on tap at the tasting room as of Friday is right up there at #3 before Adam FtW and 2009 Cherry Adam.)

NWer likes this.
  12. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Advocate (680) Oregon Jul 13, 2004

i was in HOTD tonight and was told they are down to their last case. i did no significant dent in it, and i didn't see anyone else buying them, and i was there for last call.. so i'd get down there ASAP if i were you.. (when they're open next)

13. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Opened an '11 and a '12 side-by-side last night and had a few thoughts that might be interesting for some. '11 is still flat as a counter top. At this point I'm confident that it will never carbonate. That said the flavors are very intense and concentrated. I'm not one to call a beer 'hot' too often, but in comparison to the '11 the '12 had some noticeable extra booze that was a little distracting. The flavors behind it were a little hidden and the carbonation was actually more sharp and prickly than I prefer for a big -bal beer. Time in the glass and some swirling to release some CO2 helps, but so does blending the two beers together. A simple 50/50 blend of the two made the best of both worlds. Intense sweetness and depth from the '11 with just the right amount of carbonation from the '12 was very enjoyable. In fact, it's likely the only way I'll be drinking this beer going forward. At just under $8 a 12oz pour for the blend (case discount), it's right there with Cherry Adam as my favorite barrel aged HotD beer.

Shmeal, Sarlacc83, boMD and 2 others like this.
  14. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,130) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

"but in comparison to the '11 the '12 had some noticeable extra booze that was a little distracting"

I'm just wondering if this is the "nature of the beast" when first released. While I never got to sample the 2011, I did get to try it on tap at the HOTD open house back in 2009. That was several years ago and I don't remember much about the beer, except that I thought the bourbon flavor a bit too pronounced (and I like bourbon!), and that it didn't blend all that well with the base beer. So I didn't bother to review it and I didn't bother to buy any (but what the hell, I'm sure I'll try some at the tasting room in another couple weeks).

15. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

I have no doubt that's the case and the heat will subside with time. Still, as with all HotD beers I'm sure there's more batch variation than simply carbonation. '11 was noticeably darker (just a shade) as well and seemed to have better integrated barrel character. The label says that the beer sat in barrels for "at least 18 months" which suggest it could be 18 months, 20 months, or 24 months, and possibly a blend of different age barrels. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that the average time '11 sat in those barrels was a little longer than '12. Of course that's just a theory and I have no base to stake it on. Purely observational.

16. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (455) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

Having lunch at HotD right now and they still have some left. I wonder if Alan labeled some more bottles? Collage is back on the 'from the wood' tap.

17. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,130) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Can you purchase bottles to go, or is it only available for on premise purchase?

18. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Methinks this might be a good time to see how much muling my new-to-Portland cousins are willing to do...

Sarlacc83, BdubleEdubleRUN and Shmeal like this.
  19. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (455) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

Bottles to go. The signs are still up and confirmed there are more cases. I don't know how many more though.

20. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Oh god, people need to stop telling me this. This month is trying its best to bankrupt me

21. stx00lax

stx00lax Savant (265) Washington Dec 27, 2009

Of course I'm stuck in Idaho for the summer.

22. HoppySuds

HoppySuds Savant (250) California Aug 6, 2011

If there is still some available I'll send up a box of LA/SD goodies and pay for the Fred to send me a case. Just PM me.

23. kscaldef

FWIW, shortly after Dale was there Alan tweeted: "“@MayorMcBeer: @hairofthedog still have bottles left of 2012 bourbon Fred from the wood?” Just to consume here"