1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

HotD dock release November 10th

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by m4ttj0nes, Sep 19, 2012.

1. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

we're always excited for these, my guess is it will probably be Michael or something Cherry. i'm headed over to set up my tent now, cheers.
    Knapp85 likes this.
  2. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Ugh, I can't believe I have this set on my calendar for 5:30AM that day. I hope that this time the release will be handled more elegantly than last year. The whole cash/credit lines, lack of self-policing the cutters, and letting whole cars of people jump in line with the one guy that waiting in line for everyone was more than a little aggravating.

That said, I'm bringing a blanket this year.
  3. and barbed wire and an ear tag for keeping track of line order.
    Cutters are jerks and those who facilitate them are jerks.
  4. Shmeal

I vote for handing out tickets to people in line at various intervals. That way those who cut after tickets were handed out get caught and turned down.
  5. That is much more reasonable than my recommendation. What was the last dock release, AftW? Was cutting pretty bad then?
  6. Shmeal

Pretty bad is a good way to describe it. A group of friends would send one guy to wait in line super early, and then they would show up an hour before opening and join the guy in line. There were numerous instances of that happening. My guess is 30 or so people cut in line in front of me (i showed up at 6:45), which means that if everyone got full allotments of AftW (worst case scenario), almost half of it went to cutters (I think the run was 75 cases).

Basically, if it wasn't for the cutters, I would have been able to pick up a case instead of getting shut out. Then again, if I stood in the credit line, I would have been ok.
  7. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

From the time I got there at 7am until the time the doors opened the line in front of me grew by probably 20 people. I was one of the last 5 to get cases of AftW (70ish sold) so that gives you an idea. There was plenty of Bourbon Fred to go around that day and was probably the better deal in retrospect.
  8. Earlier in the year Alan tweeted that Matt was looking at a fall release date. Could this be it? Matt's my guess. Who knows though. I'll see you all there though.
  9. hopsbreath

Michael was bottled earlier this year according to his FB so I'm hoping for that one. In addition to Matt, Cherry Adam and Fred from the Wood have also been mentioned by him. I'm hoping for all four. Case limits each, $10 a bottle. That'll be $960 for your full allotment.
  10. It's going to be one of those days I guess. Hopefully the weather holds up like last November. A bottle share or something the night before would be fun to do again as well.
    Brewbro000 and bgramer like this.
  11. How does Portland treat the homeless? Just asking...
    barleywinefiend and beertunes like this.
  12. hopsbreath

Hopefully very well since there'll be plenty of beer geeks suddenly evicted after not paying their rent/mortgage due to lack of funds. At least they can build a fort with their HotD cases.
    ArchEnemyBrew likes this.
  13. Portlanders have their priorities in order.
    hopsbreath likes this.
  14. o shit, might have to fly up for this one.
  15. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

BdubleEdubleRUN, ehammond1, and Levitation sitting in a car. D-R-I-V-I-N-G.
  16. call me paranoid, but i think 90% of ba's hope to see the above.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  17. Can we stop at Cascade? I have a relative that would definitely put us up for a night or two.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  18. ehammond1

All the jimmies would be rustled. And we'd be drunk. So...I'm all for it!
  19. We are the 1%

amidoingitright
    Levitation likes this.
  20. ehammond1

I'm thinking: Lagunitas, Russian River, Toronado, libbey's house, Cascade, Upright, Hair of the Dog.
    MarkIntihar and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  21. hopsbreath

You're only 10 miles away from Corvalis if you come up I-5. Add Block 15 to the list if you're so inclined. Possibly something releasing real close to the 10th.
    NWer and ehammond1 like this.
  22. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

I will see you there. 5-5:30 am or so...

I'm guessing on a Matt, Michael, and Doggie Claws release.

If Alan added in CAftW and FFtW I'll be broke.

A great way to be broke though :)
    eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  23. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Trying to do better all the time:

http://brews.newavenues.org
    teddyarrowhead and cavemanlawyer like this.
  24. Matt for $10 per bottle. Oh, you...
    Mages64 and m4ttj0nes like this.
  25. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Looks like I'll be making a trip down from Seattle.....
  26. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Is the 10th a for sure date? I can't find any info on the interwebs.
  27. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

bifrost17 likes this.
  28. hopsbreath

It was an estimated average for all four beers. Matt and Michael are probably in that $12-$15 range but FftW and CAftW are closer to $8. Throw in some case discounts and maybe Alan will do a special "case of each for a grand" blue light special...and people would happily pay it.
  29. black13

black13 Savant (390) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

Now that's a blue light special.
  30. Shmeal

Ugh....time to start saving up now.
  31. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

As always I can give you a beer stimulus !
  32. Shmeal

Haha want me to save some for you? That is if I can get any this time around!
  33. waltersrj

I'll bet $15 for Matt, $12 for Michael and CAftW, and $8 for FftW.
  34. punkhim

punkhim Aficionado (190) Washington Dec 22, 2011

I'm looking to make it from Seattle. This will be my first HotD release. I gather from the thread that I should show up super early. What time do they usually start selling?
  35. waltersrj

Generally they sell when they open around 11 am I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong please. :)
  36. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

No, they usually try to do the dock sales prior to opening up for food & bar business. I'm pretty sure it's been 9AM in the past.
  37. waltersrj

Thank you!
  38. Shmeal

Shhh....don't tell them that. It's 11AM for sure.
  39. punkhim

punkhim Aficionado (190) Washington Dec 22, 2011

Hahah. Thanks. Should I anticipate more details regarding what will be for sale ahead of the event, or do you not find out until that morning?
  40. Here's last year's event info (November is HotD's annual 'Anniversary Sale')... use this as a rule of thumb re: how things will work, start times and info changes beforehand: http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/48782