HotD dock release November 10th

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by m4ttj0nes, Sep 19, 2012.

1. I take it there isn't a corkage-free hang out in Portland that could accommodate a number of people for sharing? It seems a lot of people are ready to share stuff.

2. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

There is. BeerMongers is the place to go. I would call ahead of time and okay it with them first though.

3. If this goes down I would need to know before I pack my suitcase tomorrow. I suggest doing it after the release, not Friday night.

4. Shmeal

Wow seconded. But really, we need to clear this first with the guys at BeerMongers seeing as it will be a weekend evening.

5. Could also be Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

6. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

a) I think it's probably bad form to volunteer any establishment to host something like this without clearing it with them first

b) Beermongers can't accomodate the number of people who showed up last year (and I can't really think of anywhere else that can)

c) Generally, the establishments that allow us to have (small) bottleshares do so because we are good customers who buy from them frequently, tip well, respect the staff, and avoid peak times. Without casting aspersions on anyone, that's a lot different than welcoming in a hundred people from all over the NW and beyond.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep this tradition alive, but it's pretty unclear to me how to do it and avoid taking advantage of any of the local businesses or risking them getting in trouble for breaking OLCC regs.

cannabanaceae likes this.
  7. Shmeal

Well said. While I don't think the crowd will reach the magnitude of last year's bottle share (not speaking from experience as I wasn't there), it might be hard to find someone willing to house all of us.

8. Anybody not wanting their entire case, let me know.
    To clarify. I am not attending the release, but I am looking for somebody who is.

9. I just talked to BeerMongers. He said they could be accommodating on Saturday between the two sports games, which would be around 4-5pm. He said max 15-20 people, which is more than what I was expecting.
    Even though I'm posting this here, at this last minute it's hard to imagine a turn out more than that. Another choice is Sunday, but people may be heading home then.
    What do people think?

10. Beermonger rules are that they open all bottles.

11. Shmeal

I'm game for Saturday.

12. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

FYI... caftw, in bottles, is delicious! Alan really hit a home run here, perfectly balanced. As good, if not better, than when it was on draft a week or so ago.
    Michael, is a very solid flanders, but in no world worth $14 as far as I am concerned.

Wowcoolman likes this.
  13. anotherjoe

anotherjoe Disciple (55) California May 22, 2012

If there is anyone left who doesn't want a full case, please let me know and I'll do what I can to make to make it worth your troubles. Thanks.

14. punkhim

punkhim Aficionado (200) Washington Dec 22, 2011

is it available for onsite consumption already?

15. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Yeah

16. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

I'll just be drunk on arrival!

black13 likes this.
  17. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Tried Michael last night (and am going to upload my review in a bit.) It is EXTREMELY tannic right now, and it's almost to the point where it tasted more like a pinot noir. I'm thinking the woodiness will fade after awhile, but it could be a couple years if any of Alan's other wood beers are any indication.

18. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (195) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

IF anyone out there is willing to part with some Caftw ill take as much as I can get I can pay cash plus send free Chicago area top notch beers for free! Please BM me, I am disappointed I couldn't make it!

19. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

This thread doesn't disappoint. Plenty of #gopickitupformebro.

Levitation, bifrost17 and Wowcoolman like this.
  20. Shmeal

Why am I awake so goddam early?!

Oh right. This thing.

21. How'd it go? I wish I was freezing in line this morning!

22. Looks like they just opened according to the HotD twitter.

23. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Still in line.

24. black13

black13 Savant (420) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

Extremely organized. Wristbands. Controlled line. Started early, allowing 5 people in at a time. And, they had 3L bottles of Doggie Claws! Well done Alan and crew. And hats off to the man upstairs for keeping it dry while we waited in line.

pmarlowe and boMD like this.
  25. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Is it over already? Are there still cases available?

26. ellswrth

ellswrth Savant (355) Oregon Oct 7, 2003

Yes - well executed! Anyone know how many of the Doggie Claws 3L bottles were available?

27. black13

Rumor mill said there were 10 3L bottles.

28. black13

From Alan's twitter. 30 cases of Cherry Adam left. High bid on Dave, $2375.

29. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

correct, 10 3L magnums available. i believe my gf and i were behind black13 and hopsbreath..awesome guys for sure. well organized but going to be very slow going for those of us that weren't in the front with only 5 at a time. they do get points for getting the second register up and running which should quicken the pace.

30. Magnums are 1.5L and Jereboams are 3L.

black13 and m4ttj0nes like this.
  31. m4ttj0nes

ty for correcting that, been a really long night.

32. Shoot, just sayin... Wish I could have been there with you folks. So according Alan's twitter there were folks lined up last night?

csano likes this.
  33. black13

I got there at 2am and was #8 in line.

34. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

Damn. If I had known about the big bottles I would have braved the line but no way in hell I was gonna spend the night.

Cheers to your dedication!

35. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

The man with the job to report to at noon?! After sleeping on the sidewalk for 7 hours, that's some dedication. That was indeed me and black13 in front of you. I'll remember your epic beard next time our paths cross.

m4ttj0nes likes this.
  36. m4ttj0nes

alan just tweeted 10 cases of cherry left, some michael too with no line, go go go.

37. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

why do I have to live in CO? Fawk!!!

38. Shmeal

Cross post from the haul thread....

[​IMG]

39. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

Is there any #gopickitupformebro left in this thread for caftw??

I am in CO.

40. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (195) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

if there is someone please get me some! i will have a lot of cherry bcbs and coffee bcbs and i have $$! help!