1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

HotD dock release November 10th

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by m4ttj0nes, Sep 19, 2012.

1. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

You have CHERRY BCBS?!?! And "a lot of coffee"? Either we need to work something out (I have no caftw...something else) or I need your address. (-;
  2. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

This was so well executed. Arrived at 4 am and was about 20th in line. Got a case of CAftW, DC, and a 3L DC. Also scored a case of CAftW, and Michael for my regulars. Quick in and out, talked to Alan for awhile. Great time! Thanks for a well executed release!

Cheers,
    Ryan

PS- Thank God it didn't rain :)
    bgramer likes this.
  3. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

No more #gopickitupformebro....You're going to have to post an iso now.

Also, the 3L doggie claws are enormous.
    waltersrj likes this.
  4. Shmeal

Agreed, complete 180 from last year. Well done Alan and the guys at HotD!
  5. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

The DC Jeraboam's are sexy fly.
  6. Missed this one... :(

Am curious what the Dave bottles went for...
  7. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

8. kscaldef

I find the $4525 something for sure, but maybe not hilarious.
  9. Shmeal

Wow....so if you worked minimum wage you'd need to save up for 4 months to get those.
    djbreezy, barleywinefiend and NWer like this.
  10. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Wow! Getting caught up in the hype! Sorry I didn't make the trek down. :(
  11. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

imo caftw 2012 >>>>> any bcbs

very well executed indeed, water avenue didnt know what hit them at 8am though... I warned them on Thursday. I at least won that line;)
    picked up bottles for andys lazy excuse having ass;) and friend in florida...watched people cook bacon and listened to Sam try to convince me to become a baconterian.

All in all a fun, albeit a bit cold, time with nice people.
    LoPo87 likes this.
  12. Shmeal

Hey! Bacaterianism is a real thing! We got verification today!
    bgramer likes this.
  13. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (265) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

Just want to add onto the praise for everyone at HotD who took part in today's release - it was unbelievably smooth! A few things I want to thank you guys for specifically:

- wristbands
    - opening the doors so us coffee drinkers could access the restroom
    - opening an hour early to start the sales!!!
    - having dollies & volunteers available so folks could safely transport their cases

The people in line are also to be commended - although I was semi-comatose the majority of my time in line, people were friendly and respectful (i.e. no line-jumping/saving spots for 8 friends coming later)...I really appreciate that!

Again, a huge thanks to all involved!!!

Matt
    djbreezy, bgramer, csano and 2 others like this.
  14. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, I didn't enjoy getting up at 5am but everything went really smoothly.
  15. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

That would have sucked. Like really.
  16. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Agreed, although I'm not sure what the wristbands were for. They didn't even check for ours.
  17. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (190) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

dropped by after work hoping they still had some. Got there around 630pm and one of the guys said they had 1 case left of cherry adam and a bit more of michael and doggie claws . I was low on funds so only got 2 of each, but at least i got some despite having to work 9-5 today :D
  18. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (265) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

They were for peace of mind, and not a penny more. ;)
  19. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

I was told they were for cutting, although they never asked to see them.
  20. Idiotic? I agree though, great for the charity.
  21. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

Disclaimer : I love HoTD

I feel like I throw around cash towards craft beer acquisitions as well as the next guy, but I just can't fathom buying up full allotments of these beers. I mean, I didn't even think Michael was "good" let alone worth the sticker price they are charging. Cherry Aftw was very good, but still, hardly worth the price when considering buying one single bottle.

For those who care, these are both on sale at Chucks. $18.99/12oz. No thanks.
  22. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Chucks has these beers already?
  23. dirtylou

Affirmative. I was a little surprised too
  24. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Hmmmm good to know, now I just have to decide if I want to buck up and spend the money on them.....
  25. Another cold, dreary day here in Portland. Why can't HotD have their anniversary in the summer? Need beer.
  26. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (405) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

Because then we wouldn't have as much fun laughing at all the Californians shivering their a$$es off!
    djbreezy, beertunes, LoPo87 and 4 others like this.
  27. kscaldef

HOTD cellars well and trades well. Also, I would gladly pay the same amount per oz and more for a wine that tasted as good as AftW or this year's CAftW or BFftW.
  28. dirtylou

The wine comparison isn't fair. Beer isn't wine - it's beer, so it should probably be compared to the cost of other similar beers. HoTD has to be one of the most expensive per-ounce breweries in the NW, if not the run away leader in that category. I really liked CaftW, but seeing a $19 sticker price just made me laugh. No way.
  29. That equates to 34.83 for a bomber or 40.22 a 750ml. What a bargain! The Bruery of the PNW?
  30. dirtylou

to be fair, thats an inflated price. I have no idea how they got that on the shelf so quickly in the first place.
  31. Chuck's got Mules I guess. Those inflated prices actually do sound like a bargain in a shop full of inflated prices.
    OakedCanuck likes this.
  32. Im tempted to stop by today during the Hawks game and get one.
  33. kscaldef

Why isn't it fair? Just because you say so?

a) It is a delicious alcoholic beverage

b) these beers, just like wine, require years to make. I'm with you on beers that take 2 weeks but that's not at all the case here. In fact, I'd argue that comparing these beers to non-bal beers is the unfair comparison
    brystmar and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
  34. dirtylou

They are different products, entirely. Whether you or I agree or not, wine is a more expensive product. Taking the approach of paying the same price per ounce for a great beer compared to a great wine would leave us all broke. There are plenty of barrel aged beers that are rated/regarded/etc in the same level as HoTD offerings that are significantly cheaper. That's the comparison I choose to make.

I've certainly overpaid for beers by my own admission. I just find the HoTD pricing a little too staggering, but thats just my perception.
  35. kscaldef

Certainly, don't pay more than you're comfortable if you don't think the beer justifies it. (FWIW, I bought very little Michael for this reason; just enough to satisfy my curiousity whether it'll improve over time.) But, I found the tone of your message excessively moralizing and judgemental of those who do feel like the beers justify buying a full case. Live and let live; especially since it looks like everyone who wanted the beer got it this time.
  36. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Sure you can pay 19 for a CAftW. You can also pay $15 for 64 oz of Adam.
  37. black13

black13 Savant (390) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

Now that's a bargain! While the price of CaftW may be above some people's price point, the 150 or so that stood in line felt the price was reasonable. It's certainly not for everyone, but for those that take the plunge, it's definitely worth it.
    bgramer, waltersrj and csano like this.
  38. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I just had my first bottle and while the bourbon flavor was very muted if not undetectable the cherries came through strong. With a base beer as complex as Adam this beer is absolutely world class and I am happy with my purchase. Including the case discount this beer comes to $12.50 per bottle and I think it is well worth it. At the inflated price at Chucks if I didn't already buy some I'd be happy to buy a couple bottles but probably only a couple.
    bgramer likes this.
  39. Did anyone notice the difference between the bottle and tap version of 2012 doggie claws? The bottles were darker in color and tasted totally different. We did a side by side and they seem like completely different beers. My guess is they are seperate batches brewered at different times. I thought the bottle version was a little better than the tap version. Anyone else notice the difference between the two???
    Overall good times tho, thanks alan