1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

HotD dock release November 10th

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by m4ttj0nes, Sep 19, 2012.

1. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

I'm curious, did anyone ask Alan how many cases were produced?
  2. Interesting. My experience was the exact opposite. Lots of bourbon with slight cherry. Bottle variation, I suppose. (Bottle variation from HotD? No way!)
    bgramer likes this.
  3. Drank a bottle last night and totally agree with this. Bourbon with a wonderful cherry undertone.
  4. Around 100 cases of each
  5. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

This is what I heard, too.
  6. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Interesting indeed. It may be because I was comparing it to the last release of Bourbon Fred which was very bourbon forward, at least the first bottle was, the second one I tried was really well integrated. Or maybe it was just me, it's a good excuse to open a second bottle.
  7. black13

black13 Savant (395) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

I almost forgot to mention the most intersting part of this beer release. I was standing in line with a couple other BA's when this kid strolls up to us about 5am. Bear in mind it's about 39F outside and this kid is wearing a short sleeve shirt and appears pretty edgy. Anyway, he casually walks up to me (not sure why he picke me), hold his hand over his mouth and asks "You got any rock?". We all look at each other as we don't quite know what to say. I end up telling him he's in the wrong line! He then walks off, hops in his car and drives off. Needless to say, it gave us something to laugh about as we froze ouor asses off.
    boMD, sherm1016 and Shmeal like this.
  8. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Tweaked had neck tattoos birdmam would be envious of.
  9. vissai

vissai Savant (350) California Oct 6, 2010

I was the guy with the wicked Chevy Spark rental that parked right by the line and gave refuge to us pansy southern californians as we spent time inside our steamy ride instead of outside in line.
    The guy directly behind me in line, who got there around 5:30 am end up buying just 1 Cherry Adam. ONE. The staff working the release was just as shocked as I was. Don't mean to be rude, but yah wtf.
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  10. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

efficient, practical, wicked, functional--- which one of these words to describe a chevy spark does not fit?
    djbreezy, ggfunk, punkhim and 2 others like this.
  11. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Man I was laughing at you guys for hours.
  12. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

There were a couple times back in Alan's old location where I showed up mainly to share bottles and only ended up buying a 2-3 bottles of whatever he was selling that day. Perhaps he didn't get the memo about not drinking in the street at the new location so he showed up expecting a bottle share like the old days...

Otherwise, WTF?
  13. csano

I was honestly surprised by how slow sales were. ~74 cases of AftW were gone in 30 minutes last year. Took almost all day for 100 cases of CAftW. They ran out of Michael on Sunday, I believe. There also appeared to be a lot less people there this year than last year.
    djbreezy likes this.
  14. googzoid10

googzoid10 Aficionado (120) Oregon Nov 10, 2008

I'd be willing to wager if something that hadnt been available in years or something that hadnt been bottled ever was being released there would have been more people and higher volume being bought.
    Cherry Adam's been available for 4 years in a row right? That combined with higher prices probably helped tamper things as well.
    Also this release was way smoother than the AFTW release. That release may have scared some people off.
  15. csano

That's a good point. I imagine things would probably have been different if Matt was being released. Definitely agree that it was smoother. Alan was there at 2AM dragging out the barrels and putting up the tape. You could tell he wanted this year's event to be smoother.
  16. ellswrth

ellswrth Savant (335) Oregon Oct 7, 2003

The case limits were 4 last year, right?

My response to getting shut out of the Adam FTW in 2011 was that I'd better come a lot earlier next time -- I'll bet a lot of other folks just threw in the towel.

For some weird reason, a lot of people in Portland seem to like to wait in line. Maybe he was just one of those people?
  17. I'm not. Adam FtW had a ton of interest behind it because it was the first release in 10 years. Thus people flew in from around the country to get cases. Conversely, Cherry Adam was about as expensive as Adam FtW, not nearly as highly ranked, and is a 4th release of a beer that doesn't trade amazingly. (It trades, but it won't fetch 'walez, bro'. Thank God.) Michael was about in the same boat but even more so. You can take it for granted in Portland that A) People aren't going to show up for sours and B) Aren't going to show up for the 4th release of a beer they've already had multiple times and can get someone else to go in order to split a case.
  18. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

at least he was asking for -bal rock....
  19. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

CaFTW is drinking pretty nice - huge tobacco and leather notes.

For half the price though, the bourbon barrel aged version of the HoTD/De Struisse collaboration on-tap right now at the brewery KILLS!
    cardinal79 likes this.
  20. vissai

vissai Savant (350) California Oct 6, 2010

PannePooch. Yah it was so smooth and nice.
  21. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Might as well weigh in on this, since I came to this thread looking for a base price for CAftW to find out how much I overpaid. I saw those bottles @ Chuck's a couple days ago and, after careful deliberation, picked one up tonight along with a Cascade Kriek @ $20. The way I figure it, the markup is still way cheaper than traveling down to Portland, standing in line, all that BS. Thanks again Chuck!

P.S. FWIW I think the price was $18.59 not $18.99, but I destroyed the sticker as soon as I got it home, for obvious reasons
  22. csano

Smart choice... ;)
  23. dirtylou

Was cool that they had it, though the mule-for-profit business is one that requires caution...
  24. draheim

True enough. I also had qualms about buying a bottle of Bourbon Fred @ Chuck's (last year?) at a similar markup, and not just about the high price. OTOH, at least HotD is distributed in Washington, even if this particular case of beer may have circumnavigated appropriate channels. And trading for it across state lines (not that we have any rare beer in Washington that anyone would trade a Cherry Adam for ;)) involves its own set of legal issues, and not much fuss is ever made over that. So yeah, kind of a gray area...
  25. black13

black13 Savant (395) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

While I don't disagree that it's great that some of you can get this beer at a mark-up, I would have to disagree that coming down to Portland and waiting in line is BS. Aside from getting some great HOTD beers, you also get to hang out and meet other great BA's. After you get your beers, you can then hit up some of the great beers spots in town and acquire more "Rare" beers to take back to your state :D
  26. draheim

Believe me, if I could, I would. Full-time job, family, two birthdays within a week, buying a house, various other commitments... a trip down to Portland to buy beer amid all that would have, shall we say, dramatically altered my situation upon my return.

Maybe next year.
    NWer and black13 like this.
  27. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Totally agree with draheim here. To be completely honest, as a consumer/enthusiast I really couldn't care less how someone gets a beer to sell me (short of stealing it) in a case like this. Also agree that I don't mind paying a couple dollars more for a beer otherwise impossible to buy outside Portland without having to make the trip down. The gas saved and not having to miss work more than makes up for the $5 markup. Happy to have the opportunity to buy a beer I've never tried in a place so convenient (no pun intended) as Chuck's.
    distantmantra likes this.
  28. dirtylou

If hotd doesn't care, then i dont care. I mentioned seeing this in seattle and was told "better than ebay"
  29. Yep, $18.59. I caved and bought one bottle each of Michael and CAftW tonight on the way home from work. Don't mind paying the "liason fee" as the clerk referred to it, since I couldn't be in Portland last weekend due to the whole wife and kid thing. Driving down to buy some beer just isn't in the cards at the moment.
  30. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

opened a bottle of this year's Michael, and it was completely flat. I've had a couple other bottles that had mild carbonation. Anyone else had this happen with their bottles?
  31. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

That was my experience too. FWIW, 09 Michael was also flat on release and became very well carbonated over time.
  32. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

33. Glad to see I'm not the only one.
    distantmantra likes this.
  34. At least a case or so of Michael for sale at the MoC on Terwilliger @ 14.99 if anyone's looking for some bottles....